PDA

View Full Version : Are "craft sticks" safe for syrians?

lyuthekirin
02-03-2018, 02:10 PM
So, I recently bought a nice little Syrian and have named him Gentaro. He seems to love his bin cage and everything (I've done a lot of research and had the help of someone else who has done a lot of research/cared for hamsters for years before getting him) but today when I was at Dollar Tree I came across these:

https://image.ibb.co/bxgf66/27661377_10159924497705243_1382651876_n.jpg

100 peices for $1 is really good but they don't say what they're made of. I tried googling it to no avail, the official site just says they're made out of "wood". I was able to open the edge of one of the packs so I could sniff them and they have a strong smell. It's not a wood smell just.. a smell. I tried going across the street to Wal-Mart and they had some as well, different brand and a smaller pack, but just labeled as "craft sticks", and had the same scent.

This is where I'm running into the problem though. I try googling are craft sticks safe for hamsters and all I get are DIY Popcicle stick things. I try googling for popcicle sticks and it automatically shows me "craft sticks". Part of me wants to say oh they're the same thing. But at the same time I don't wanna be that careless with Gentaro and have my first hamster be a tragic hamster. So I thought I would ask one of the places everyone calls reliable.

cypher
02-04-2018, 12:19 AM
They should be fine, lots of us use lolly sticks for making ham things & as far as I can see they look to be the same thing.