PDA

View Full Version : cypher's photography.

cypher
10-22-2017, 02:55 AM
I recently took the plunge & got my long wished for DSLR :)
Still getting used to it really but have been having lots of fun taking photos of my favourite things mostly bees of course :) & some butterflies so I thought I’d share some here (hamstergram family will have seen most already).

I haven’t done many birds yet, looking forward to more but this robin struck a pose for me that I couldn’t resist.

My favourite end of season photo, one of the very last queen bees I saw & for me this just caught that sense of summer fading away.

This beautiful carder bee was a bit cold & tired & stopped for a rest on a very prickly borage bed!

One of my favourite tiny hoverflies, Melanostoma scalare, I love watching these but they don’t keep still for long so I was lucky with this one.

And finally this was just a bit of fun, not as sharp as I’d like but with nothing much happening in the garden other than wind & rain I had to have a go, rain drops on borage.

BorisPasha
10-22-2017, 03:01 AM
Nice to see your lovely photos on the big screen rather than my phone :D I still wonder if the bees are fluffy fuzzy or bristly fuzzy :mad: I don't think I'll touch them to find out though.

I absolutely love that last picture :D it the rain drops almost look like glass.

Rads
10-22-2017, 03:12 AM
Cypher,
Your Images are so excellent and much nicer seeing them on a much larger scale....
I think your Macro work with the Bees is stunning, we have had so few bumble Bees this year which I find quite sad...
Your Robin shot is excellent too, I do like Robins' they are one of my favourite birds..
Please keep up the good work

Pebbles82
10-22-2017, 04:42 AM
Wow - great photos! I want a dslr! Although I know it is not just the camera but how you use it :-) What did you get? I especially like raindrops on borage.

SKB_Hamsters
10-22-2017, 04:58 AM
Wow! Amazing photos - I especially love the photo of the Robin and the hoverfly!
So pleased to hear that you have gotten yourself a DSLR camera - I really want a DSLR - I just love the very clear and detailed photos they can take with them. I'm so looking forward to seeing more of your photos.

dreamtree1234
10-22-2017, 06:55 AM
Wow, these photos are jaw-dropping gorgeous!!!! I'm totally impressed with each and every one of them. They are truly amazing!!! I'm so thrilled for you that you were able to get a DSLR; I have always dreamed of getting one, too. With the DSLR's capabilities and your excellent eye for photography, you are sure to capture tons of artistic masterpieces just as you did here. :)

I love all of them. The robin looks so majestic perched up in the tree. I love all of the detain in the queen bee as she is foraging for the last bits of nectar. It is quite artistic looking. The poor carder bee just broke my heart; I do hope that he was able to find some warmth and gain some strength. He looks so sad all tuckered out on the very prickly borage bed. The detail on the hoverfly is amazing but a bit creepy, too. The tiny raindrops look like glistening, crystal orbs dancing suspended from the prickles of the borage. I believe that this must be my most favorite one of all. It is truly a work of art, and I love the play with light as well as color. I can't wait to see the other photos that you will be sharing with us. What an AMAZING thread, Cypher! You are truly talented!!! :)

cypher
10-22-2017, 08:37 AM
Thanks so much everyone :)

BP I’m not sure about the bees either, they do look quite soft & fluffy around their heads but maybe a bit more bristly toward the back end! The carder bees always look really soft to me, I just want to hug them :D
Glad you liked the the rain drops, photos like that are really fun to do.

Thanks Rads, I think the bees will always be my favourite subject, hopefully we’ll have more next year, I’m missing them now & have to find something else for some macro practise for the winter! I'll definitely have a go at more birds now too.

Serendipity I got a Canon EOS 77D, now of course I want lots of lenses to go with it lol! it’s really nice to finally have proper manual control & be able to get a bit more creative too.

Thanks SKB, I hope you can get a nice DSLR one day too, I’m sure you’d really enjoy your photography even more but you still take great photos anyway :)

Aww thanks so much dreamtree, the carder bee was fine, just needed a rest before flying off again, if they stay like that too long I always give them a helping hand, warm them up if need be & move them from flower to flower until they can manage on their own again, it’s always wonderful to see them flying off & going about their bee business again afterwards :)

Coco61
10-22-2017, 10:32 AM
Terrific photos cypher and I adore the robin. Husband treated himself to a new canon a couple of weeks ago and then had a cataract operation! Not great timing as he has not been able to use it yet!
Looking forward to more stunning shots.

Pebbles82
10-22-2017, 10:48 AM
Well I'm very impressed with the picture quality of your camera! They are sharp. I stopped using an slr before things went digital (long time ago!) because I had an excellent rangefinder camera with great lenses that were small and light. Sadly now all obsolete. I like the little compact I got (needn't have bothered as stepson no longer uses his) but sometimes different lenses and faster speeds would be nice.

Josie
10-22-2017, 02:28 PM
Great photos Cypher, look forward to more great shots :D

cypher
10-22-2017, 11:06 PM
Thanks Coco, what a shame your husband had the op just when he'd got his new camera, hope he's fully recovered & able to enjoy it soon.

I'm impressed with the quality too Serendipity, it depends on the lens as much as the camera but the camera has been really great. I think I still have my old slr tucked away in a cupboard somewhere, I've been quite frustrated with digital up until now, finally feels as though I have the best of both worlds :)

Thank you Josie :)

I'll post some more soon.

dreamtree1234
10-23-2017, 06:14 AM
Aww, it touches my heart that you warm the adorable carder bees and transport them to different flowers if they need any assistance. You truly have a loving and compassionate heart, Cypher. All of the creatures are so lucky to have you around to care for their needs and wants. I will always now think of you as the Animal Whisperer. :)

Coco, I hope that your husband has a full and speedy recovery from cataract surgery. His new camera is quite the inspirational treat to make him feel better soon. I hope that he enjoys it tremendously. :)

souffle
10-23-2017, 07:01 AM
They are beautiful pics cypher - really stunning:)

Thin Lizzy
10-23-2017, 07:44 PM
Stunning pics Cypher, I so love the bee pics.

cypher
10-24-2017, 06:54 AM
Aww dreamtree that made me smile, thank you :)
Thank you souffle & Lizzy :)

I won't bombard you with too many bees but here are a few of my honey bee photos today, I've never been quite as in love with honey bees as I am with the humble bumbles but when you get up close they do have the cutest faces!

Tiny bee on a sea of sedum.

Cute bee enjoying the ivy ;)

BorisPasha
10-24-2017, 07:15 AM
Bumble bees are my favourite but I do like the little honey bee. I always thought they were just smooth on their stripy body (I'm sure it has a more technical name than stripy body but I'm sure you know what I mean :mad: ) but I can see they do have tiny hairs, it's amazing to me to be able to see things in so much detail and realise that they are not exactly how I imagined them to look :D

Thin Lizzy
10-25-2017, 08:49 PM
I love your bee pics Cypher, they make me buzz with joy, such gorgeous creatures.

cypher
10-26-2017, 03:15 AM
Thanks Lizzy :)

BP I like the technical term stripy body ;) they are really quite furry all over, that's one of the things I love about macro, constantly discovering things you never even knew were there!

dreamtree1234
10-26-2017, 05:52 AM
Wow, the details are PHENOMENAL!!! I love all three pics; I can't even choose a favorite this time, lol. :) No worries about too many bee photos; I don't think that could ever be possible. They are such gorgeous and interesting creatures; and your photos allow us to discover even more of their beauty with each amazing pic so thank you, Cypher!!! Btw, the stripy body part of the bee is referred to as the abdomen. :)

SKB_Hamsters
10-28-2017, 05:02 AM
Beautiful photos of the honey bees, I don't mind seeing lots of bee photos as they are so very cute. Your photos are so detailed - its so lovely seeing the beauty of the honey bees up close.

Drago
10-28-2017, 05:27 AM
What a lovely thread this. I'm enjoying all the pics of nature :) I see you do have an affinity for bees!

cypher
10-28-2017, 09:59 PM
Thank you dreamtree, SKB & Drago, glad you enjoyed them & don't mind seeing lots of bees! :)

cypher
11-28-2017, 11:28 PM
The weather hasn't been exactly favourable for photographing birds & I've been having a bit of a job getting myself motivated the last few weeks tbh but I did finally get a few shots of some of the birds so I thought it was time to share :)

First my favourite of all the garden birds, the little coal tit, I just love these guys :)

A beautiful Goldfinch kindly posing for me!

Nuthatch stuffing it's beak full!

Can't not have a Robin :)

And finally not the best photo as it was just a quick shot through the window but I find the long tailed tits so delightful I had to share, they don't come often but when they do it's usually quite a large flock & like having a garden full of fairies flitting & twittering about!

cypher
11-28-2017, 11:29 PM
And just one more bee as it's nice to remember sunny days when it's so cold & dark now.

Pebbles82
11-29-2017, 05:41 AM
Goodness those are beautiful photos. I especially love the one of the Goldfinch - they are gorgeous.

cypher
11-29-2017, 12:54 PM
Thank you :)

BorisPasha
11-30-2017, 08:34 AM
Beautiful, Robins are my favourite so I absolutely love that one :D Great picture of the bee too, I love how the lighting is making him look even more fuzzy :)

cypher
11-30-2017, 09:36 AM
Bees are surprisingly fuzzy, I never realised just how much until I began taking photos of them!

Coco61
11-30-2017, 02:01 PM
Stunning photos cypher. Such clear close ups that show so much more of these beautiful birds- not forgetting the bee of course!

cypher
11-30-2017, 11:32 PM
Thank you Coco :)

SKB_Hamsters
12-01-2017, 09:29 AM
Beautiful birds and bee photos! My favourite has to be the nuthatch photo - it looks so sweet with it beak stuffed and they are so beautiful. I don't have any that visit my garden so it lovely to see a photo of one.
I also enjoy watching when flocks of long tailed tits as well as blue tits visit my garden to!

dreamtree1234
12-01-2017, 08:58 PM
Absolutely gorgeous photos of lovely birds and a very cute bee, Cypher! My favorites are the robin and the bee. The robin looks like it is presenting you with a present and it's coloring is different from here in the states so it is extra lovely to see the variation and detail in your pic. The bee photo is so detailed and striking. I also love the description of the long tailed tit in flight with its flock; the image it created is so beautiful and vivid. Thanks for sharing the joys of bird and bee watching in your precious garden with the rest of us. It definitely has a magical, whimsical feel to it and it allows us all to be whisked away into your lovely place joy and peace.

cypher
12-01-2017, 11:14 PM
Thank you SKB & dreamtree, really glad you enjoyed another visit to my garden :)

dreamtree1234
12-03-2017, 05:15 AM
I always love seeing your lovely garden and all the wonderful, little friends that come and visit you. If I had a garden like that, I think it will be so difficult to ever leave that spot. :)

Thin Lizzy
12-06-2017, 06:18 AM
So lovely, your pics always look perfect, you always get the right amount of detail in. As for the bee pic, I so love them.

cypher
12-06-2017, 11:17 PM
Thank you! :)
The weather's really turned now, if it's not freezing it's just pouring with rain so not much opportunity for wild life photos, hopefully I'll get a chance now & then & not have to wait until spring to get snapping again!

cypher
10-07-2018, 07:12 AM
Well it's been a totally uncreative year for me so I haven't had much to show but for the first time ever in my history of gardening (a long time lol!) I remembered to plant some autumn flowering crocuses & out watching the bees & hoverflies enjoying them today I thought it was about time I got the camera out again & took a few shots, a bit out of practise but I do like this one.

Only a few of my beloved bees around today after a freezing night but I caught one feeding on one of the sedums, well just caught!

Rads
10-07-2018, 10:07 AM
Cypher,
You have got it nailed...!
I do rather like the Autumn Crocus so lovely and yet so fragile..
Not seen many bees this autumn hardly any at all. Though Dragonflies are still in abundance.

SKB_Hamsters
10-07-2018, 10:47 AM
Beautiful photos - I especially love the photos of the autumn crocuses with a bee enjoying them to.
I haven’t got my camera out much recently either although my chrysanthemums are starting to flower so I might try to find some time.

Coco61
10-07-2018, 11:00 AM
Lovely photos cypher especially the first one.

cypher
10-07-2018, 09:11 PM
Thanks guys :)

Rads the crocus do look fragile, they probably are but it's lovely to see something so delicate just emerging at this time of year when most things are really fading & past their best.
Not so many bees here as I would normally expect either, August & September weren't kind to them.

It would be nice to see some of your photos if you have time to get the camera out SKB.

mangoandmimi
10-08-2018, 10:14 AM
Those are gorgeous shots, really like the crocus one.

cypher
10-08-2018, 10:00 PM

Sasha04
10-09-2018, 09:23 PM
Whoa! You are such a talented photographer cypher! I love all of these! I also love watching birds (birder) all around my area. They are such fascinating animals!

cypher
10-09-2018, 10:10 PM
Thank you Sasha :)

pinkpixie
10-10-2018, 01:05 AM
I've really enjoyed looking at your photos, they're absolutely stunning!

Thin Lizzy
10-12-2018, 09:02 PM
These are so gorgeous, so happy to see the bee pic.

cypher
10-12-2018, 09:17 PM
Thank you pinkpixie & Lizzy :)

Pebbles82
10-14-2018, 10:17 AM
Beautiful - I didn't know there were autumn flowering crocuses :-)

Teddyuhre
10-14-2018, 03:11 PM
Wow you have an amazing talent!

dreamtree1234
11-07-2018, 03:20 PM
Totally awesome, vibrant, and spectacular pics! I especially love the gorgeous crocuses with the bee - perfect in every way! You are truly talented in capturing the beauty of all things. :)

cypher
01-30-2019, 05:34 AM
Landscape isn't really my thing but I was enjoying the view from my local coffee haunt so much this morning on a lovely sunny snowy day I thought I'd share :)

Rads
01-30-2019, 07:51 AM
Nice..! I do like snow but over here in the flatlands of East Anglia we have not had owt, and have no hills either, though moving soon where the landscape is slightly lumpy.

cypher
01-30-2019, 11:54 AM
Thanks Rads, I must admit I do like a lumpy landscape ;) Flat ones have a different beauty & charm but can be more challenging to photograph, look forward to seeing some views when you move.

Pebbles82
01-30-2019, 05:18 PM
Beautiful - the light and snowtopped mountain. We've had a fair bit of snow here and now freezing fog forecast - ugh!

Quicksilver
01-31-2019, 05:39 PM
So beautiful and peaceful, thank you for sharing Cypher. How lucky to live near to views like this.
I took some photo's today mainly of snow white trees in the local park, was very misty though! Love snowy wintry days :)

cypher
01-31-2019, 11:08 PM
Thanks Serendipity & Quicksilver :)

dreamtree1234
02-02-2019, 02:16 PM
Wow, what an amazing view! I could stare at it all day and never get enough of it. I definitely understand why you enjoyed drinking your coffee while looking at that snow-capped mountain - utterly breathtaking!!! :) Thanks for sharing; it certainly put a huge smile on my face. :) :)

Coco61
02-03-2019, 10:44 AM
What a view to ponder over during a tea or coffee break!

hisnameispip
02-03-2019, 10:48 AM
Beautiful pictures cypher - you are very talented!

cypher
02-03-2019, 10:51 PM
Thank you dreamtree, Coco & hisnameispip :)