PDA

View Full Version : Vampire Hamsters

flogging_molly
11-28-2005, 02:31 PM
Newly acquired Winter Whites seem a little too eager to bite me. They haven't drawn blood as yet but I'm very sure they will. I was taking pictures of them to show you and I thought it would be a good opportunity to hold them briefly to get them used to me. Heather was fine - no problems what so ever - Willow on the other hand lept at my hand climbed up my arm to my wrist and tried to bite the vein there!!! What am I doing wrong people?

babyboos
11-28-2005, 04:33 PM
Good pictures :wink: Maybe she likes your perfume? They are still babies and like human babies like to mouth, as you have seen they don't break the skin, this is a major plus point - it means they don't hate you and aren't scared of you, just testing... so don't be afraid to keep holding them for a few minutes each night - they will grow out of this behaviour, keep up the good work.

flogging_molly
11-28-2005, 04:35 PM
i'm trying so hard but just a few moments ago when i put my hand in the cage Heather who was in one of the tubes started hissing and squeakign at me aggressively.

babyboos
11-28-2005, 04:38 PM
She will learn that making a big noise doesn't deter you - you WILL be her friend :wink: Don't let them bully you they are only a few inches big :? :lol:

flogging_molly
11-28-2005, 04:45 PM
I know but they are just sounding obviously cheesed off and I don't wanna cheese them off more.

babyboos
11-28-2005, 05:07 PM
Awwww they are just trying to scare you, Winter Whites are so unique in how vocal they are with their owners :shock: You are doing eveything right - being patient, taking your time and handling them regardless of how big a roar they let out. It will come I have faith in them and you :P

flogging_molly
11-28-2005, 05:18 PM
i hope you are right because it honestly was like she went for my hand and wrist nick even said it looked malicious, she actually jumped up and scratched her way to my wrist and bit me

babyboos
11-29-2005, 09:18 AM
I wonder if it is scent related? Give me a shout I can come over this week - likely Wednesday night and check her out :wink:

flogging_molly
11-30-2005, 11:23 AM
Not sure, it's just incredibly frustrating and i feel really belittled by them, intimidated by a dwarf hamster :oops: I am free tonight and tomorrow night :)