PDA

View Full Version : DIY Toys

breakfastwithbutternut
09-08-2017, 11:03 AM
What are your favorite DIY toys? I'm looking for something with nothing that could be toxic at all and nothing he could ever fall off of. Thanks!

Spunkys_Owner
10-09-2017, 12:19 PM
Heyo!
I prefer DIY toys that last a long time rather than the ones that get torn up immediately. There are so many DIY hamster toy ideas on the Youtube that you can just look some up.
My favorite DIY hamster toys are the ones I make up. Basically, I cut and glue and connect boxes.
Recently I made an "underground" hamster den by burying a small box underneath the bedding. Then I put a cardboard tube that led from the surface to the little den. Spunky loves it!
Whenever you make a hamster DIY, use non-toxic glue, and no tape. I use Elmer's Glue.

AmityvilleHams
10-09-2017, 01:51 PM
I wouldn't use Elmer's glue,as it does have synthetic petroleum(not worth the risk).Just make a very simple flour glue,for example a brown rice based glue with water,rather than risking Elmer's glue.

I'd also avoid Chinese parts and products(can contain toxins as regulations aren't too good)which would mean avoiding craft store popsicle sticks among many other things.

The main idea is keeping things natural(if dyeing anything use a natural and 100 percent safe option such as fruit or vegetable based homemade dye,nothing that contains artificial dyes,alcohol,harmful preservatives such as BHA/BHT/ethoxyquin,etc)and as safe as possible.

Spunkys_Owner
10-09-2017, 05:13 PM
Oh, I thought Elmer's School Glue was safe... I've heard and read everywhere that it is... Do you mean other types of Elmer's glue? I only use the school one...

AmityvilleHams
10-09-2017, 06:45 PM
It was considered safe,but very recently I found that it does in fact contain synthetic petroleum(no complete ingredients list is available,so that may not even be the only unsafe ingredient!).That's related to the school glue,so other types may be better or worse(although even the "natural" stick variety isn't 100% natural and has relatively unknown ingredients).

JaysAnimals
10-10-2017, 09:04 AM
here is a video of 4 easy diy hamster toys you could make :)

Link To Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhnhwBwSHpI