PDA

View Full Version : Help! How soon after a female has pups can she get pregant??

chippy
11-28-2005, 11:56 AM
My female dwarf hamster had pups (first time), when I realized she had pups I removed the male (which we thought was a female). I don't think he was in there more than a day. Anyway, the pups are 3 weeks old and she is getting fat and her behavior is similar to when she had her pups the first time. Can she be pregnant again?

Also, she moved her pups aways from her nest, this morning she brought them back I think?? One of the pups doesn't look too good. I don't know what to do... help! :?: :?:

Skwee
11-28-2005, 12:17 PM
she is probably pregnant again :( they can and will probably mate almost as soon as she has given birth and nearing 3 weeks is nearing due date for her next litter.... at 3 weeks old you should be handling the pups yourself and therefore be able to see what's wrong with it...

chippy
11-28-2005, 12:43 PM
Will she be able to nurse the first litter? The pups are moving but by no means can they feed themselves.

What should I do?

Skwee
11-28-2005, 12:47 PM
the first litter shouldnt still be needing to nurse if they are three weeks old...

put in some babyfood (no onion or garlic) and/or some plain scrambled egg.

It might be an idea to get a new cage and to wean the first litter now, keep them on a diet of hamster mix and babyfood.

chippy
11-28-2005, 12:55 PM
I just check the calendar, maybe they are two weeks. It just feels like 3.

They can hardly walk. If she has her new pups some time this week what will she do to the first litter. I'm sorry I don't know more I didn't get these hamsters to breed. I was told two females.

nooboo
11-28-2005, 12:57 PM
at 14 days there eyes should be open or soon to open. once they are open they can find food themselves. you will find that they are eatting hamster mix their mum brings them now, and you can sprinkle food next to the nest for them too.

as long as they can see the food, they can most likly eat it, especially baby food, and other such soft foods.

as to when it would be best to move them from mum i dont know, i have never had a dwarf hamster litter.

chippy
11-28-2005, 01:50 PM
Thank you for the advice! If anyone has anything to add please do so.

Emma
11-28-2005, 03:26 PM
Gestation can be 18-22 days in dwarves, I *think* I've heard of cases when they've "held on" for a week or so longer (delayed implantation) but I'm not 100% sure that really occurs in dwarves, maybe someone else knows?

Mothers do come into heat right after they give birth so you can be pretty certain she's pregnant, this situation is very very common when someone buys a mis-sexed pair, doesn't realise the mistake until the first litter is born, and by the time they notice, litter No.2 is already on its way.

Whether to take out the older litter or not - once they're weaned, I think I would. I've heard of them being left in successfully, but I've also heard of the mother killing the older litter when the younger one is born. I've never bred dwarves myself though - hopefully someone more experienced can give their opinion on this.

As for a pup not looking so good, unfortunately intervention with young pups is very very rarely successful, it's probably best to leave him with his mum and hope he is strong enough pull through.

babyboos
11-28-2005, 04:31 PM
First thing to do is get your dates straight - they can be removed from mum at 21 days, not sooner. Leave any sickly pups in with mum and seperate the babies by sex at 28 days old. Boys should hopefully be able to go in with dad at this time.

You are right Emma dwarf hamsters can delay implantation and it is not uncommon for mums to have two, even three litters in a row and then rest to recuperate whether the male is present still or not. If you did not intend to breed them you have done the right thing in removing dad when you did.

Sprinkle oats near the babies, some wheatgerm, and grated vegetables such as cucumber. They will start nibbling solids even before their eyes open so best to do this as soon as you can. Place a lump of cucumber under the water botle spout - this helps them learn where to get moisture from.

Start looking for new homes for the babies if you haven't done so already, and don't fret about the sickly one, nature will take care of it.

Make sure to give mum some nice high protein treats to help her nurse these babies and nurture the litter on the way.

chippy
11-28-2005, 06:32 PM
Thanks, they were born on the 14th. Two of the babies have died. The remianing 3 don't have their eyes opened.

I removed her from the cage to take out the dead and clean around the nest w/ fresh bedding. When I put her back in the cage she took one of the babies in her mouth and started running aroung the cage. I think she is going to kill it. The remaining 3 look very weak. Is this what the mom hamsters do? She doesn't seem like a good mom. I feel so helpless I know the litter is going to die. It breaks my heart.

babyboos
11-29-2005, 03:54 AM
Best not to disturb a nest until the babies' eyes have opened usually, bit late for this litter, but for the next don't worry no matter how smelly or messy looking just leave the enclosure be. At most, add some new litter to the cage but you don't want to upset mum as she will eat her own pups to protect them from being taken/eaten by a predator in the wild and this natural instinct still exists in our domestic hamsters. Give the cage a good clean out when the current babies eyes fully open just in case there is another litter on the way, as if you leave it until the current pups reach 21 days you may be too late. Give mum back some of her old stinky nest though.

chippy
11-29-2005, 05:55 PM
:cry: All the pups are dead. She abandoned them and that’s why they were not thriving. I moved the cage to our guest room. I figure that’s the quietest room. She will probably have her next litter by the end of the week. This time she gets food and water and quiet. I give the breeders on this site credit…this is heart breaking. She probably abandoned them when I cleaned around the nest last week. I was careful not to touch them but it must have done something to her. Anyway, thank you for all your advice and please feel free to give me any words of wisdom. :cry:

babyboos
11-29-2005, 06:17 PM
Oh it is nothing you did deliberately and this often happens anyway with first litters. You are doing the right thing leaving her be to finish her pregnancy in peace now. Refill her bowl and change the water at the same time daily and see what emerges from the nest in a fortnight's time. Make sure to also give a small cap-full of a protein treat such as a chunk of tofu, or a couple of meal worms with her dinner, it will help her to raise a good, strong second litter. Nature can be cruel but in the wild nursing mums will eat their pups if they feel threatened, rather then letting a predator get the protein from them, they reabsorb it themselves, to help them recover quickly, and raise future litters. Sad but true fact - the babies she has eaten will help her raise these coming babies so don't be too sad. They may have been ill or had a genetic defect only mum was aware of, we will never know. Hugs to you xx

chippy
11-30-2005, 05:48 AM
She didn't eat them. She didn't take care of them and they died. Last night I had to take each dead pup out of the cage. I knew I had to get the bodies out before the next litter. She buried them under the bedding 3 in one spot and one on the other side. Poor little pups.

souffle
11-30-2005, 06:37 AM
Do not be sad. You did your best and they are happy at the Rainbow Bridge. We all learn and look forward to the next litter but do not be surprised if the same thing happens because as you bought them together they may be siblings so any babies would be genetically weaker that an out mating. You are not to blame in anyway. Hugs to you for your loss

babyboos
11-30-2005, 07:20 AM
Aww that is so sad, and the fact then that she never ate them may mean there was something wrong with them - it really is not your fault, please believe that, hugs xx