PDA

View Full Version : Help! 'Chico' Can't hold him Yet!

Sillywabbit
11-28-2005, 10:43 AM
Me again, :? Having probs with ' Baby Chico' As I posted before, We started off ok, holding food for him to take from hand, etc and all went very well, he then stopped waking up until we had long gone to bed.

Knew he was ok as things had moved in his cage.etc

Just went about 5 days without seeing him...been cleaning cage without touching his house while he slept, yesterday I thought we had better start to try to handle him a little... had to wake him did it slowly, and once he was awake tried to pick him up....ahhhhh he was so fast and wiggley just could not keep a hold of him, he was soooo scared, he went mad....I had to put him down again...

Jordan age 10 (who 'Chico' belongs to) went to bed really upset, as he has this little pet he loves so much but never sees...and seems for ever away form holding him...

what can I do? have I gone wrong somewhere?

babyboos
11-28-2005, 11:29 AM
no this is perfectly normal behaviour one minute for a few days will slowly become five and then eventually after a good three months a cuddle monster hopefully... :P Persevere and don't panic when his little muscular body squirms in your hands. Do handling over a double bed (with barricades) or in the bath lined with old towels, and try to only lift him an inch off the ground or so and back down again - do this over and over and eventually he will get the hang of it and realise you aren't about to eat him :oops: :wink: :roll:

Sillywabbit
11-28-2005, 11:54 AM
Oh yes :D forgot about the bed, or bath..think we will carry on in cage gentle lift n down...will feel safer, then go on to the bath...no way out of that...thanks sorry to be such a pain, think I expect to much to quick, will show Jord your reply,it will cheer him up..thanks so much :D xxx

souffle
12-02-2005, 01:37 AM
You are doing fine with Chico. I would make sure you keep to a routine. Gently wake him at a time to suit you. Take the cage to a bed. Pile duvets all round then take the lid off. Wake him talking soothlingy. If you let them get away with not being handled for 5 days they will get used to it and you may regress a bit with the training. Pick him up with your hands round the body so he can feel your hand all round him like a little tunnel and then let him run towards you into the other 'tunnelled' hand. Keep him running hand to hand though the tunnels till he calms and slows. Be warned. He will go very fast & jumpy at first and may wee on you but this is normal. Ignore it and do not give up. Once they have got used to the feel of your hands then you can let them free roam over you, up your sleeve, round the bed (supervised) We sit with feet together, legs flat on the floor and make a paddock for running in!. Make sure your hands are clean. No treats till handing is done. He will soon enjoy his out time. We wake ours every night after bath and out they come on the bed. We have never failed with this tameing method but you must be firm and consistant with your waking time and be confident as the hamster will sense if you are nervous. I know that is easy to say and difficult to do with your first ham. We have taken unhandleable guys and given them back tame but we are confident and experienced but believe me we have been nipped, jumped on, panicked over escapees and piddled and pooed over but always get there in the end. I do beleive that there are some hams who really need to be force tamed as the owner has simply never handled them. Chico is still young and you will find him easy. Wake him, handle him, reward him. You can do it. Keep us posted!

Sillywabbit
12-02-2005, 03:54 AM
:) Thanks for all that, I'm keeping a file of all these tips...

I was worried about waking him, but will do it at the same time every day, handy, as we can do it just before Jordan goes to bed...

will post how we are getting on :D

Thanks x