PDA

View Full Version : Hardwood? Birch and Beech?

SKB_Hamsters
06-26-2017, 10:11 AM
I'm in the process of planning a few DIY's projects for Pumpkin.

At the moment I'm looking into small fluted dowels and all the ones I can see are made from hardwood - either specified as either Birch or Beech? As I have never used either wood and as I'm overly cautious to what put into Pumpkin cage. I thought I would ask to double check and help put my mind at rest that they are safe before I buy them.

So are both beech are birch wood safe?

cypher
06-26-2017, 11:14 AM
Can't remember about beech offhand but birch is fine, I've been using small fluted dowels for quite a long time & it's one thing that's never been chewed.

Pebbles82
06-26-2017, 11:18 AM
Beech and birch are both hardwoods :-)

Crystalroborovski
06-26-2017, 12:12 PM
Not too sure about beech. I know birch is fine though. I've been using birch popsicle sticks, birch dowels and birch wood platforms in Key Lime's cage :)

cypher
06-26-2017, 12:12 PM
Just had a look at diebrain (http://www.diebrain.de/hi-frischfutter.html#zweige) & beech is listed under safe branches so it should be ok, they are generally very reliable as a source of info on safety.

SKB_Hamsters
06-30-2017, 04:01 AM
Thank you all for your replies, this has really helped put my mind at rest. Pumpkin isn't a big chewer but it always reassuring to know that they are both safe just in case if she does decide to chew them.

Pebbles82
06-30-2017, 06:43 AM
They're both fine :-)