PDA

View Full Version : Project "hamster upgrade"

Jennie F
04-26-2017, 08:12 AM
So, I am gathering the bits and bobs I need for PROJECT UPGRADE. I have the new detolf (though it needs building and hopefully isnt damaged after my sister bashed the box on a step - please dont be broken), wood for the lid (free to a good home from work), fitch bedding (at an amazing price), a new hammy house for her and some new toys and hideouts on the way.

So today I picked up some hinges, latch and a staple gun. I also got some mesh, but I'm not sure if this is ok? What do you think? Are the holes too big? I have a syrian.

http://i1250.photobucket.com/albums/hh522/jenifurby2/Mobile%20Uploads/rsz_pixlr_20170426155718370_zpsoltsuzg7.jpg

AmityvilleHams
04-26-2017, 08:14 AM
25 mm spacing is far too large for any hamster,even a large Syrian :( It would need to be about 1 cm spacing to be appropriate.

Jennie F
04-26-2017, 08:57 AM
I thought so but I got excited and grabbed it. It still has the pavkaging so I can take it back. Thanks =o)

AprilPearl
04-26-2017, 10:58 PM
Ah I am excited to see this :) Khaleesi will love it.

Regarding the bars: I think you are doing the right thing to go for a narrower width. Mushu's Alaska has bars 0.9cm apart, and even that looked worryingly big to me.

AmityvilleHams
04-26-2017, 11:40 PM
To an extent more narrow bar spacing can be good,but it must be large enough to not be a risk for pulling teeth or claws out.There is also a separate issue of being able to attach things with the wire spacing not posing an issue which comes from more narrow wire spacing.It takes a lot of debate back and forth as to what will work just right for an individual situation,but in general the standard 1 cm spacing is just fine :)

Jennie F
04-27-2017, 01:27 AM
I'll get looking for some smaller mesh.

On another note, is there any pet safe varnish available anyone knows of? The detolf is dark pine and the wood I have for the lid is pine and my slight ocd streak needs it to match

InkyPen
04-27-2017, 03:12 AM
B&Q sell mesh that is small enough - it is sold outside in the garden section.

With regards to the Varnish, look for Plastikote (paint on variety) which is sold on Amazon

Jennie F
04-27-2017, 03:28 AM
Actually just been in B&Q now beforw I read the last post and got some mesh, as well as some hinges and corner plates etc for the lid

cypher
04-27-2017, 03:45 AM
If you use plastikote make sure it's the water based one as there are two types of paint on plastikote, it will say on the jar.

Jennie F
04-27-2017, 05:15 AM
If you use plastikote make sure it's the water based one as there are two types of paint on plastikote, it will say on the jar.

Just ordered some from Amazon. I have the clear but I didnt realise they did so many colours. It says water based on the front as well. ��

Jennie F
04-30-2017, 01:51 PM
Tomorrow is the day Project Hamster Upgrade is happening. So excited!! Hopefully we can get everything done in one day and Khali will be in her new crib tomorrow night. Looking forward to showing you her upgrade soon x

Drago
04-30-2017, 01:57 PM
Looking forward to the finished product!

Jennie F
05-01-2017, 01:11 PM
Project Hamster Upgrade is complete!!!

I struggled a bit trying to get the glass into the place it was meant to go and ended up having to make the track a bit bigger to fit. But we got there. Then I added some patterned window sticker to the back to make it a bit better looking. It has two lids instead of one big one, which makes it easier to get into one side and lift. Ive put a little catch on the lid to stop her pushing one side up, but hopefully she won't do that. Secured the mesh on with a staple gun and some upins when i ran out of staples.

Ive mixed the top layer of fitch with the substrate from her old cage so its familiar to her. Now just got to leave her alone for a couple of days to settle in. She is currently pounding her wheel burning off some nervous energy i think. I'm happier now knowing she has the right size wheel in there now. Ive put the contents of her plant pot where she slept in her old cage into the little house and her horde under the wooden half log.

Im really pleased with it and hope she enjoys her new forever home

Jennie F
05-01-2017, 01:15 PM
A few more pics of the inside x

Drago
05-01-2017, 01:19 PM
It looks wonderful! I'm sure Khali is going to love it once she's settled. I really like that straw hut, and how you wrapped the bendy bridge around the sand bath container :)

Jennie F
05-01-2017, 01:38 PM
It looks wonderful! I'm sure Khali is going to love it once she's settled. I really like that straw hut, and how you wrapped the bendy bridge around the sand bath container :)

Thankyou! Im really pleased with it. Ive been thinking of ways to stop her kicking substrate into her sandbath, so thought wrapping the bendy bridge round it would raise it up a bit. Failing that I will make her a lollipop stick cover for it. The little monkey has hardly been off that wheel in over an hour haha. Downside - it wont fit i with substrate beneath si its on the glass base. Noisy! But its worth it

cypher
05-01-2017, 10:39 PM
That looks great Jennie :)

AprilPearl
05-01-2017, 10:59 PM
That looks so frigging awesome!!! Wow. I have serious hamster home envy right now. I am certain Khali will love it.

BorisPasha
05-02-2017, 12:51 AM
Wow Jennie it looks fantastic, what a great job you've done. Khali will love it I'm sure :)

Pebbles82
05-02-2017, 01:58 AM
It looks amazing! Lucky ham! Is she settling in ok?

Jennie F
05-02-2017, 02:38 AM
Thanks for all the comments. Glad you all like it. Ive been planning this for weeks and Im so glad she is in and sorted now.

It looks amazing! Lucky ham!
Is she settling in ok?

Serendipity I think she likes it. I caught her in the act of burrowing this morning, which is so cute to see. I think she is haopy she can finally do this properly now. She is doing "prairie dog" a lot, but I assume its because she has a lot more open space now and is being cautious.

I think i will certainly be spot cleaning more as I have mild OCD with this cage, so I'll be tidying and moving substrate back etc. I think I should of used some plastikote on the end behind the knuff, as thats where im pretty sure she has made her nest. So if she will be peeing in there i need to sort that on the next spot clean.

Here is the evidence of her burrowing out of her suspected nest. So cute

http://i1250.photobucket.com/albums/hh522/jenifurby2/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG-20170502-WA0002_zpsw18gsn69.jpeg

Caught in the act

http://i1250.photobucket.com/albums/hh522/jenifurby2/Mobile%20Uploads/20170502_070131_zpsgchl3dmc.jpg

Pebbles82
05-02-2017, 03:33 AM
She sounds to be really enjoying it :-) I would suggest restraint over wanting to clean anything for a couple of weeks :-) So she settles in and doesn't get stressed and want to chew her way out. You will soon find where to spot clean in a couple of weeks time. I had a wood wheel I didn't plastikote once and it got pee'd on so I scrubbed it under a running tap with a nail brush and it came up fine. I never did plastikote it in the end. She's more likely to pee in a burrow underneath or her sand bath, fingers crossed!

emojimom
05-05-2017, 07:08 PM
Wow, this looks amazing! I wish I were this crafty and had an Ikea nearby!