PDA

View Full Version : DIY Projects - maze, chew/treat flower, 3D roll, igloo

ArBell
04-25-2017, 01:26 PM
Hi all!
I'm new on this forum, and a newbie to the hamham world! (My introduction was posted on the forum)
I had some free time today and started preparing for the arrival of my new hamham (a male winter white dwarf).
I made a cardboard maze (with cardboard and toilet/kitchen paper rolls), a flower chew toy (to hide in future treats), a 3D roll and a paper towel igloo!
In my quest for future cage items (which I'm thinking will be a bin), I've also managed to find a sand box, a hideaway (both made out of porcelain) and another hideaway made of cardboard :D
My stash of hamham items is slowly becoming bigger when you add my new DIYs to the hamster sand, trixie wheel and water bottle that I have already ordered online!
I'm so excited :mad:
I will be putting that maze box inside of a play pen, in case my future hamham is an escape artist >.<
Just a question: When do you think I should put my hamham into a maze? Do you think he will feel overwhelmed by it?
I am planning to leave him be in his bin cage for the first 5-7 days to let him settle in. Perhaps on the 5th or 7th day (depending on whether he is skittish or not) I will attempt to handle him. Do you think this is a good idea?
Thank you for reading! Have a good day <3
First hideout made of cardboard - next to the second hideout which is a shoe made with porcelain
Tissue paper igloo:
Maze made of cardboard - with paper roll chew and cardboard 3D roll on the side!
3D cardboard roll
I removed the extra roll on top of the 'chimney roll' - it should usually be there but can be removed to find out where hamham is hiding. I'm holding the flap that's covering the 'hideaway zone' left some tissue and cardboard there.

dreamtree1234
04-25-2017, 02:40 PM
ArBell, welcome to Hamster Central and congrats on becoming a new hammie owner. I am sure that your male winter white dwarf will absolutely love all of the hard work that you put into making such a lovely maze, etc. for him. Your DIY projects all look wonderful and like tons of fun for your special new furry friend. However like you mentioned, I definitely believe that it would be a very good idea for you to wait a few days prior to introducing your special creations to him. Just make sure to take the taming process slow and let your hammy be the judge for when he is ready to begin each new step. Each hammy's personalities are all so very different, so I could not say when or how long to wait to have him go through the maze. You will definitely know when he is ready. Just follow his cues and definitely do the other taming steps first. Good luck with him and have tons and tons of fun. Eros says "Hi!".

Drago
04-25-2017, 02:42 PM
Hello and welcome

Very nice DIY's, I'd say once your hamster has settled and you've gotten a better idea of her personality, then I see no harm with letting her have a run through. Adding some treats in can help encourage her and make her enjoy it :) Good luck, hope to see you around!

Hamsterita
04-26-2017, 07:58 AM
That maze looks fantastic! He's going to be a lucky ham!

I agree with Drago, once you have it you should be able to know how he reacts with you and his environment and then you can decide when it's best to introduce him to new things