PDA

View Full Version : Rest in Peace my little Charlie

Pebbles82
02-11-2017, 09:25 AM
Charlie has gone to the rainbow bridge this afternoon after some long nights of semi consciousness and coming round. I thought he was suffering by last night and we took him to the vets today. I feel quite traumatised by taking him to the vets, but maybe that is just me - it seemed very clinical. I took him curled up in his blanket and I think he was unconscious.

We will be having a little burial and funeral and planting some snowdrops.

Pygmypuff
02-11-2017, 09:35 AM
Serendipity I am so heartbroken to hear about the loss of Charlie.

He truly was an amazing hamster, he filled all of us with joy and happiness and gave us all laughs and entertainment! He was a very handsome boy too, with those gorgeous eyes and beautiful coat! Please, please remember the good times and the wonderful memories you have with him. He will be loved, missed, but never ever forgotten.

Stay strong during this difficult time. If you need anything at all don't hesitate to message me!

Lots of love xx

Cinnamon Bear
02-11-2017, 09:35 AM
So sorry Serendipity, what a loss. Hope you are ok. You did the right thing. Charlie isn't suffering anymore. Take comfort in that. A funeral for him is sweet & very sad I'm sure. Run free Charlie at the bridge.

BorisPasha
02-11-2017, 09:38 AM
Oh Serendipity I am so sorry, it's heartbreaking. I hope you can take comfort in knowing that you did everything you could for Charlie and I'm sure he knows that too and how much you loved him. I'm sorry it was such an unpleasant experience for you at the vets, that must have made it worse than it needed to be :(

Charlie was one of the first hamsters I read about when I started looking in to getting mine and he was such a special boy and so full of character.

I'm struggling to know what else to say as it's just so sad, so I'll send you some big hugs instead xx

Play well at the bridge Charlie xx

InkyPen
02-11-2017, 09:55 AM
I'm so sorry for your loss Serendipity - it's always hard to lose a much loved pet like Charlie. It looks like he had a wonderful life with you, and he was clearly well cared for. While hamster lives may be short, Charlie's was full of fun, playtime and food - you've done everything you possibly can for him, including giving him the chance to slip away peacefully and pain free.

RIP Charlie :'(

SKB_Hamsters
02-11-2017, 09:59 AM
I am so sorry Serendipity7000 to hear this news. My condolences are with you.
Charlie was an amazing hamster with a big personality - I always enjoyed reading through Charlie's thread. You given Charlie such wonderful life filled with so much love. Remember all the good time that you and Charlie have both shared together, as has he left you will so many lovely memories to cherish and he will forever remain in your heart.

Play well at the bridge Charlie.

Fluffagrams
02-11-2017, 10:19 AM
I am so sorry to hear about your special little man Serendipity. He was a much loved character at Hamster Central and many of us have enjoyed hearing about his adventures in his thread.

Sleep well little man. x

AmityvilleHams
02-11-2017, 10:30 AM
Charlie had such a massive impact,even on myself.He was a very charming man ham,and always brought brightness and laughter to any gloomy day.While he may have passed on to the rainbow bridge,we will never forget him.

Make all the hams at the bridge extra cheerful,Charlie. x

Coco61
02-11-2017, 10:52 AM
Goodbye to Charlie. What a sad thing to say. If this news has upset me then I cannot imagine how hard it is for you Serendipity. Charlie was such a favourite here on HC. He had an influence on others here over a fantastic distance. I loved hearing about his doings, watched every video and adored his photos. Such a character our grumpy old ham.
You gave him a loving and fulfilling life. You stayed close by as he declined in recent days and did absolutely everything possible to help him. You should have no regret about going to the vet. Ignore and forget that attitude. Focus on the good memories. There are plenty. Have you ever taken in the length of his thread? The numbers of replies and those who read it? Truly astonishing.
Bless you Charlie. Play well over that rainbow bridge restored to full health. Meet Mocho when it is his turn and play with him then.
Hugs for you Serendipity. X

leedsgurl
02-11-2017, 10:53 AM
So sorry for your loss :( sleep well Charlie x

Drago
02-11-2017, 11:51 AM
Serendipity I'm so sorry! I've not been on this forum for long, but in that time, I have grown to quite like him! He was such a charming fellow, but it was the kindest thing you could do letting him go. I'm so sorry for your loss, but you cared for him and loved him so much and he felt the same towards you! He was an old ham as you said on your other thread and thus he lived an excellent and long life. Rest In Peace Charlie

cypher
02-11-2017, 11:54 AM
I'm so very sorry Serendipity, it is traumatic when we have to help them on their way & it is sad that Charlie couldn't have gone peacefully into his forever sleep at home in his bed but you did the very best for him right up until the end.
He had such a long & wonderful life with you, so full of love & care, he couldn't have wished for more, a very special boy & so many special memories to cherish forever.
Hugs to you, I know how hard it is right now.

A special boy to us here too, Charlie will be much missed on HC & always fondly remembered.

Run free & play well at the bridge Charlie.

CMB
02-11-2017, 12:54 PM
Sorry for your loss. Charlie was a much loved hamster here and will be missed by many.
:(

barley
02-11-2017, 01:02 PM
Oh I am so, so sorry :( When I first joined this forum, you were one of the people who were so welcoming, helpful and kind and I had followed Charlie's story ever since. Sleep tight little man xxx

Pebbles82
02-11-2017, 01:21 PM
Thank you so much for all the lovely kind words. Charlie was so strong and brave. I have been crying buckets. I brought him home with me and he is in a beautiful midnight blue box snuggled up in lots of white nesting material. We will have a little funeral tomorrow. Stepson and OH are doing stiff upper lip avoidance of thinking about it - but they do care.

I miss him terribly already after spending all those nights with him recently. But we said goodbye before he was in his little coma. He showed me he didn't want to eat and drink any more and had had enough. And I told him it was ok to go and to sleep well. And I told him every day how much we loved him. I do wish he could have passed peacefully quite quickly after that, but I think he had a horrible disease, probably cancer, and it was not going to be peaceful.

It was a big thing for me to accept euthanasia. As a former nurse I do nursing and caring and relieving suffering, and euthanasia was out of my personal control. At least when I had to hand him over to someone, he was unconscious or I don't know if I could have done it.

Coco61
02-11-2017, 01:46 PM
So as those who have experience of elderly hams said, there came a point when Charlie told you in his own way that he had had enough. He trusted you to look after him in the best way after that. And you did. Take comfort from that. Saying goodbye as you did also means there was nothing unsaid and no regrets.

Gimleyand Meeko
02-11-2017, 02:33 PM
I am so sorry! Charlie was one of the, if not the best hammie on this forum and will be the one that is most remembered xxx we will miss him so much, I hope you are feeling better as well, bless you both! Charlie we will miss you little one, play well at the bridge little ham xxx

barley
02-11-2017, 02:46 PM
It was a big thing for me to accept euthanasia. As a former nurse I do nursing and caring and relieving suffering, and euthanasia was out of my personal control. At least when I had to hand him over to someone, he was unconscious or I don't know if I could have done it.

Helping them to their forever sleep when their time has come is the final act of love we can show to them. It's not going to stop your pain, but try to take comfort in the fact you acted so selflessly and done what was best for Charlie even though your own heart was breaking. It takes a strong person to do that xx

souffle
02-11-2017, 03:19 PM
You gave Charlie the greatest gift of all. You have to know when the time was right and you did and shouldered the pain of his parting. Yours is the hurt to bear till your heart rests easy and knows it was right. I am so very sorry. He was beautiful and special and full of charm. Just a unique little character who will live on in his memories. Run free beautiful boy and send a rainbow to your family.
SOLACE
Lisa Carmel Singer

From the Silence of your pain, I heard my name
and on the wings of light I have come
to see the sadness in your eyes
that cry without tears
Can you see me, I am here
I will always be near you,
to calm your shattered heart
and to make you smile at the memories

Do you feel me, perhaps a soft brush of fur
You ache to believe it's real
but you are afraid to hope
you brush away a strand of hair
But it was I, whispering

I am only here for a moment
The silver thread gently quivers
I will leave behind my love in a dream
When you awaken and without really knowing why

Your heart will know at last
That it is all right for now
to say goodbye.

ladyntramp002
02-11-2017, 03:39 PM
Oh, Serendipity! I am so sorry! Charlie was a very special hamster!

Charlie, you are going to be missed by a whole bunch of people especially your beloved owner. You all brought smiles to our faces with your antics. Sleep well, dear Charlie.

RubyDG
02-11-2017, 04:43 PM
Really sad to hear about Charlie :(. He was such a wonderfully special grumpy man-ham. I know you're going to miss him terribly. There aren't really any words to make it better, just make sure you make time for yourself now to grieve. I loved reading about your journey with him, thank you for sharing it with us.

Thin Lizzy
02-11-2017, 05:28 PM
I burst into tears when I saw this thread and still crying writing this. Serendipity I'm so sorry your little one has gone to the bridge. You and I joined the forum round about the same time and so loved following Bonnie Prince Charlie's thread, what a wonderful life you gave him. The both of you shared a wonderful bond and your love for him will be in your heart forever. Sending you big, big hugs and that I'm thinking of you and I'm here for you should you need to talk xxxx

pinkneon
02-11-2017, 06:00 PM
I am so sorry. I actually can't describe the way I am feeling right now ... Charlie was a wonderful little ham with a big personality and I will miss him dearly. I hope, in time, you will be able to know that you did the right thing for him and that he knows that too. You gave him a wonderful life, full of fun and love, and I think he knew what a special boy he was.
Sleep well Charlie. I will miss you so much xxx

kelza
02-11-2017, 07:24 PM
I'm so sorry, Serendipity. You and Charlie are in my thoughts. The snowdrops sound beautiful. Play well at the bridge sweet Charlie. Hugs for you Serendipity.

EnerHam
02-12-2017, 02:00 AM
Charlie was a wonderful hamster and you gave him the best possible care. He was a lucky little fellow to have someone so caring for an owner. I think you did the right thing-- he's not suffering any longer. I don't think any of us will forget Charlie. Sorry for your loss.

Hamsterita
02-12-2017, 02:11 AM
My heart is breaking. I'm so sorry for your loss. You were both very brave, he fight until the end, and you took care of him til his last moments. I couldn't have done it. Unfortunately this things are meant to happen, but you put all your efforts in making him confortable, and that's only a little reflection of what his life was, a life full of love and attention.

Missed but never forgotten. Rest in peace little Charlie.

racinghamster
02-12-2017, 02:12 AM
I never thought I wouldn`t be able to see my laptop screen through watery eyes but here I am, thinking about the good times and Charlie`s escapades. We get so attached to our wee pals and it`s a hammer blow to the body when they fall ill and we know their time is limited. You went that extra mile for Charlie Serendipity, Never stopping to make sure he had the best of everything, be it a bigger cage, a better wheel, a nicer sleeping house....

He was a fantastic patron and a friend. Lets all toast Charlie today with a cup of tea or what ever we have. He will always be remembered.x

Pebbles82
02-12-2017, 02:38 AM
Thank you - I am very touched by all the fondness for Charlie and support xxx I explained to Stepson that is is Charlie's body that has died because it was worn out and his little soul has gone to hamster heaven and it's called "over the rainbow bridge". I felt a bit better myself when I explained that. I have still talked to him since we got back and said goodnight to him last night as I never know how long it takes them to leave - sorry if that sounds a bit strange. I know some people say animals don't have souls as such but I think all living things have a life essence that goes somewhere.

cypher
02-12-2017, 02:55 AM
That doesn't sound strange at all Serendipity, I feel the same about their soul still being present for a while & somehow you know when they are truly gone to the bridge & ready for burial. I always talk to mine & hold them too until I feel the time is right.
The bond between you is still there & always will be.

Emma H_amster_
02-12-2017, 03:01 AM
May he run forever happy on the rainbow bridge <3
sry for your lost serendipity :( hamsters can be small... but they still leave a big hole in our soul when they die :( hamsters is still our pets and pets is family and your best friend for a lifetime!
hopefully Poro will share some mealworms with Charlie if she havent eaten it all yet :P
Say hi to Poro from me and make you some happy hamster friends at the rainbow bridge Charlie <3

Pebbles82
02-12-2017, 03:54 AM
Thank you Emma. I am glad that Charlie will share mealworms with Poro :-) And all his other hammy friends.

Thin Lizzy
02-12-2017, 04:24 AM
Charlie's being looked after by his angels xxx

Emma H_amster_
02-12-2017, 04:27 AM
Thank you Emma. I am glad that Charlie will share mealworms with Poro :-) And all his other hammy friends.

again depends! Poro love her mealworms xD probably ate them all haha :D but i think she will share tho.. only because its Charlie <3 He is too charming! :D

flowerfairy
02-12-2017, 06:52 AM
Aww bless him. Rest in peace Charlie.

BluerayDarkes
02-12-2017, 07:25 AM
I'm so sorry to hear about Charlie he was a well loved hamster by yourself and the entire forum, he will be playing at the bridge now. Charlie will be missed. I've got the same view about animals having souls :)

Pebbles82
02-12-2017, 03:01 PM
We had a little burial for Charlie today in the garden and he is sleeping peacefully now and playing at the Rainbow Bridge. It looks nice with an evergreen shrub and some snowdrops. We have a small stone ordered and a little door with a rainbow bridge with his name on. Stepson is going to put the stone on and I'll post a photo when it's finished. Still miss him terribly.

Drago
02-12-2017, 03:09 PM
Awe I'm sorry! What a sweet tribute to a lovely little ham. Perhaps he will say hello to my little Remington and others when he visits! May Charlie rest in peace

Pebbles82
02-12-2017, 03:11 PM
Thank you Drago. It is comforting to remember other hammies who are over the Rainbow Bridge and many of you have been through this before. I hope Charlie is meeting them :-)

Cinnamon Bear
02-12-2017, 03:22 PM
That must have been really hard to bring him home with you. I don't know if I could take that. I agree that playing at the rainbow bridge is heaven too.

Coco61
02-12-2017, 04:07 PM
It sounds like a lovely peaceful spot for Charlie. A fitting resting spot for a special man. When the extras are added it will look good. These things help I have found. Like others there are several pets in my garden. Hope you are doing ok xxx

Pebbles82
02-12-2017, 04:45 PM
Thank you all. It wasn't hard bringing him home with me Cinnamon Bear. I had to. I couldn't leave him there. It was hard letting go and burying him. But now he is resting and his garden looks special.

cypher
02-12-2017, 10:41 PM
Charlie's place in the garden sounds lovely Serendipity, it will be nice to have the stone there too & will always be a special place.

SweetPeaHammy
02-13-2017, 01:03 AM
I've just seen this thread I'm so sorry for your loss

Hamsterita
02-13-2017, 01:22 AM
He had a beautiful and well deserved burial. Now he can rest in peace and you'll always have a place to visit him and mourn.

Cinnamon Bear
02-13-2017, 05:36 AM
Thank you all. It wasn't hard bringing him home with me Cinnamon Bear. I had to. I couldn't leave him there. It was hard letting go and burying him. But now he is resting and his garden looks special.
Glad he is buried & is near you with a special memorial stone. I can see how much he was loved.

RubyDG
02-13-2017, 09:30 AM
I love the sound of that memorial stone, seems perfect. Sounds like you found a really special place for him.

Thin Lizzy
02-13-2017, 09:38 AM
Such a beautiful burial Serendipity for Charlie. The memorial stone sounds lovely. I miss him and he wasn't mine, he made a huge impact here. xxx

spacebyte
02-13-2017, 09:42 AM
I'm so sorry for you loss <3

Amys_Mum
02-13-2017, 10:25 AM
I'm sorry for your loss Serendipity. It's heartbreaking to lose our little furry friends. You gave him a fantastic life, filled with much love and fun.

Rest in peace darling Charlie x

Scarlett Empress
02-13-2017, 11:42 AM
Oh Serendipity! I am so sorry that Charlie has gone - I was just catching up with reading his thread the other day. He was a special boy and I loved reading what he was up to, and loved your enthusiasm for making his home as good as it could be and making his life so special. His place in the garden sounds beautiful, a lovely resting place for him - hugs to you xxx

Pebbles82
02-13-2017, 11:57 AM
Today is quite hard. Lots of reminders - especially food shopping and at mealtimes. I'll just get a cucumber for Charlie. Or - I'll save a piece of my chicken for Charlie. Time I guess.

cypher
02-13-2017, 12:15 PM
It is hard, there are always lots of little reminders like that, it does take time but it will get easier *hugs*.

Coco61
02-13-2017, 12:27 PM
Those are lump in the throats moments Serendipity that catch us out. Glad TL posted that she misses him so I can admit that I do too. X

SKB_Hamsters
02-13-2017, 05:00 PM
Charlie's place in the garden sounds beautiful and will always be a special place to you - the memorial stone sounds lovely. I understand how much those little reminders can be quite hard and emotional. It does get easier.

Thin Lizzy
02-13-2017, 05:13 PM
Those moments are hard, I did that so many times, I even filled up Twinkle's dish with veggies and then burst into tears. It does get easier. xxx

BorisPasha
02-14-2017, 01:07 AM
It sounds like Charlie has a very special place to rest Serendipity, the snow drops sound lovely, he was a much loved man ham and I'll miss him xx

velma
02-14-2017, 04:36 AM
Serendipity, I'm so sorry to hear about Charlie. He gave you a sign that it was time to go and through love you did what is often the hardest thing to do - you did the the right thing. He was an old boy and you cared for him a very long time. In the end, you didn't do what you wanted, you did what Charlie needed - you allowed him a peaceful transition from this life, over the rainbow bridge, to the next. Take comfort in this and cherish the gift he gave you, the memories and love that you shared.

Pebbles82
02-14-2017, 05:59 AM
Thank you Velma. I am still torturing myself that I didn't wait a bit longer that day so he had the chance to go on his own - but it was a week-end and I couldn't face the idea of him really suffering on a Sunday if he didn't go, and not being able to get to a vet until Monday.

Scarlett Empress
02-14-2017, 11:38 AM
I think you totally did the right thing. I remember reading on here, I think Barley said it - better a day too soon than a day too late, and I really do agree with that. I wish I had taken my Smokey a day earlier. It's comforting to think they will just drift off on their own but it's far kinder, I think, to make sure they are not suffering.

I know it's really easy to ay this though, standing on the outside, but when you are the one making a decision like this, I think you are always full of doubt after.

But I really think you did the right thing for Charlie. xxx

Pebbles82
02-14-2017, 03:10 PM
Thank you. My only real doubt was that the vet wasn't nice. If it had been a nice vet and I felt they had really taken care, I may not feel so bad. I have been reassured about the methods but the way he was brought back to me was not nice and not respectful enough to my little boy and I'm going to write and complain to the vet practice.

chesca_27
02-14-2017, 07:23 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss, Serendipity. I have only just seen this thread.

Charlie was a very special hamster who has touched the lives' of every member of this forum over the last few years. It has always been obvious to me that he was a spoiled ham who was lucky to have you as an owner. I always thought of Charlie as a little hamster celebrity on the forum.

Please remember that he is enjoying himself at the Rainbow Bridge and he is no longer is any pain or suffering and you made the decision you felt was best for him. I'm sure he is very grateful to have been chosen by you.

When Toffee died, my dad told me time is a great healer. I couldn't possibly see how, but it is true. The grief of losing Toffee, which consumed me for so long, has now been replaced by the good memories I have with him, and I hope you will feel the same way about Charlie.

Charlie, may you forevermore rest in peace.

Pebbles82
02-15-2017, 02:58 AM
Thank you so much Chesca xxx

Pebbles82
02-18-2017, 04:37 AM
Soon we will have finished Charlie's little memorial garden. Yesterday I got some more small plants to replace the shrub which apparently is going to grow too big for where it is, and a little stone and other things are ready to go in it. We should have it finished during the school holidays next week. It has been wet and snowy recently but is going to be a bit warmer and drier over the next few days so a good time to finish it and make a nice memorial.

Thank you for all the lovely comments. It does feel like he is at the Rainbow Bridge now and I am slowly coming to terms with it. He was my baby.

cypher
02-18-2017, 04:40 AM
That sounds lovely Serendipity, a wonderful tribute to a very special little man, it does take time to come to terms with but I think finishing the memorial is always a step toward acceptance & being at peace with the loss of a much loved ham.

Bec
02-18-2017, 04:51 AM
So sorry for your loss. Charlie certainly had a big presence on the forum and will be sadly missed.

Play well at bridge Charlie x

Thin Lizzy
02-18-2017, 05:24 AM
Charlie made a big impact here and he deserves the very best Serendipity. The memorial garden sounds so perfect for your perfect baby. Grief affects us in different ways and doing this will help you so much.

BorisPasha
02-18-2017, 05:40 AM
It sounds like it will be very beautiful when it's finished Serendipity. I'm sure Charlie will appreciate it :)

Coco61
02-18-2017, 10:48 AM
I do love the sound of how Charlie's memorial garden is coming on. It will be a peaceful and dignified spot for your baby. X

Hamsterita
02-19-2017, 02:22 AM
His little memorial garden sounds really lovely. He'll be resting in peace now, and I'm sure he'll like too

SKB_Hamsters
02-19-2017, 03:09 AM
Charlie's memorial garden sounds lovely and I'm sure he will appreciate it to.

racinghamster
02-19-2017, 04:11 AM
It will be a lovely space for you and little boy to sit and enjoy Charlie`s place during the better weather soon Serendipity. I plan to buy some primroses or similar plants soon to put along the resting places of my little ones too as it gives me a sense of calm and somewhere to sit with a cup of tea and remember them as they were. Cheeky, lovable and never forgotten. x

Pebbles82
02-19-2017, 07:44 AM
I did get some Primroses :-)

lady jocardi
02-19-2017, 03:04 PM
RIP Charlie. Reading this thread it's clear to see how well loved your boy was by everyone. Big hugs to you.....He was a lucky lad having such a wonderful mummy.....and he knew that xxx

Piebald
02-20-2017, 12:39 AM
The garden sounds lovely. Sorry I posted on Charlie's thread before thinking to look here. Xx

Pebbles82
02-20-2017, 03:49 PM
Thank you Lady Jocardi and Piebald - no problems Piebald - thanks for the support. Today I feel a bit rubbish - I think I overdid it. I wanted to finish Charlie's garden but everything is very muddy at the moment. Anyway I did finish it and just a couple of little things to add. I also went in the pet shop to get another bottle of pet disinfectant. I went to get one last week and used it all up. And saw a lovely little female hammy in there. The only hamster in the pet shop. She was so clever - she had built a huge mountain of shavings with a hole in the top and she climbed the mountain and disappeared down the hole. But that day I couldn't even think about another hamster.

Today I went to get my second bottle of pet disinfectant and she was still there. I felt a bit sad that her huge mountain had gone and she just had a little pile of white stuff (which I don't think was fluffy bedding but was certainly a bit soft for paper). I felt really sorry for her and wanted to take her home. I asked in the pet shop about her mountain and was told they clean them out every day. So - as I was in the process of cleaning Charlie's cage out, I very nearly reserved her. But tonight, after cleaning the Barney cage I feel a bit rubbish. It wasn't too bad - he hardly used it latterly and the last few days wasn't even in it. But just thinking about another hamster in the cage seemed a bit strange.

Anyway - everything has been cleaned and disinfected know and some things thrown away and the garden nearly finished so it all feels a bit less raw now.

cypher
02-21-2017, 12:12 AM
It's never pleasant trying to make a memorial garden when it's wet & muddy, always seems to be that way for me & I know how it feels but I'm sure it was worth the effort & Charlie will be appreciating everything you've done.
Cleaning cages is hard too but you've done the most difficult things now & things should get a little easier.
The ham in the shop sounds sweet but I can imagine how strange it must have felt to imaging another ham in the cage when you've only just been cleaning it .
You'll know if the time is right to bring another little one home.

Rads
02-21-2017, 12:57 AM
Serendipity, I have only just come across your thread, I am so sorry about the loss of Charlie, where ever he is now I trust he is causing chaos by bossing all the other hammies about in his grumpy sergeant major way...
Pip sends whisker kisses too..

Hamsterita
02-21-2017, 03:10 AM
I'm sure that the memorial is going to look awesome when everything is a little bit more dry. Think that all that humidity is going to help flourish the flowers and you will have a beautiful spot.

Don't feel bad for wating to reserve her. If that makes you happy, I'm sure that Charlie would agree. And you can say the same about the cage, think that's something like organs donation. When you die you can donate your organs so another human being can have a chance to keep living, and that's a way of keep living you too. Charlie's cage could be his last gift to another ham, so another ham could have a beautiful life, and he would play a very important part in that hams life... Maybe I'm being silly.

Anyway, time will tell you what's right for you, and you always do what's best, so don't worry!

Pebbles82
02-21-2017, 03:22 AM
What a wonderful thought Hamsterita thank you. And thank you Rads and for making me smile - and Cypher. Yesterday I started out feeling normal, ended the day like a stressed out banshee and today my valve popped and I am leaking a lot of tears - better out than in.

Gemma_xo
02-21-2017, 06:27 AM
I'm so sorry to hear of your loss, Serendipitiy. I always watched your Youtube videos of Charlie fondly! He was a lovely little hamster and had such a lovely place with you.
May he rest well and enjoy pottering about at the rainbow bridge.
Hugs
x

Thin Lizzy
02-21-2017, 04:09 PM
Cleaning the cage and toys was hard for me with Twinkle, for a while I kept her Coconut House so I could sniff it even though it was a bit smelly it was a comfort for me.
I had days like that where I was fine one day and sobbing my heart out the next.

RubyDG
02-22-2017, 02:02 PM
I saw your picture of Charlie's memorial, I think it looks beautiful and a wonderful way to remember him :).

In the end with the other hamster you have to do what you feel is comfortable for you. I know some find the best way to deal with grief is to get another hamster straight away - not because they are not deeply grieving and missing their hamster but because they feel the need to keep loving and providing a home for one. For some it helps heal the wound and lets people focus on the good memories of the hamster thats passed. Everyone has their own grief timescale and ways of dealing with it, so don't try to fit your grief into a neat little box. If you feel ready and would like to bring another hamster home then do it, don't not do it because your brain is telling you it must be too soon - do what your heart feels is right. And if you're not ready then don't feel guilty either, the right hamster will be there for you when you are. Either way I think Charlie would be happy that eventually another hamster will be there to keep you company and get a wonderful loving home :).

Pebbles82
02-22-2017, 03:00 PM
Thank you so much Ruby :-) I feel the same. About not making myself fit in a box with a certain time to grieve - if I did that I may never get another hamster! I feel the need to keep caring for a hamster, but nothing could replace Charlie - it would need to be a very different hamster. I'm not going to rush into anything though as having ups and downs.

The memorial flower bed is looking much nicer today. Little boy put the stone and rainbow bridge- stone thing in it (he really likes the rainbow bridge door!) It's this one - it has Charlie's name on it. The other stone is just a pebble really with Charlie's name on.

Personalised Pet Rainbow Bridge Door Memorial - Woodland | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/401221009465?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT)

Little boy really likes the flowerbed and bird table and rainbow bridge door and it's made it less scary for him I think.

Plus the rest of the "plugs" of wildflowers arrived today. So now have mini primrose, cowslips and forgetmenots and a couple of other things. All just look like tiny leaves at the moment though. I'll take a photo when the weather permits. So it's finished now. I spent far too much on it.

Coco61
02-22-2017, 03:33 PM
Clicked on that link. I do like that rainbow door very much indeed. All the additions will settle down and weather in. The flowers will bloom and it will be delightful. It will make you smile when it looks at it's best. I am glad it does not seem scary any more. Charlie will look back across the bridge and know he was loved. What price love? X

Josie
02-22-2017, 04:43 PM
I'm so sorry to hear of your loss, Serendipitiy, play well at the bridge Charlie hugs to you beautiful little boy xxx :(

"The Kindness One Does For An Animal May Not Change The World, But It will Change The World For That One Animal" :-({|=

cypher
02-22-2017, 10:33 PM
It sounds lovely now you have all the things for the garden, I'm sure the plug plants will soon begin to grow once the weather warms up a little & it really will look beautiful.
I do like the bridge door too, thanks for sharing the link, I'd really like to add one of those to my memorial garden.
As Coco said "What price love?" I usually feel I probably spent a bit too much but never regret a penny of it & I'm sure you don't either!

Pebbles82
02-22-2017, 11:49 PM
No I don't - we were going to need to spend a bit on some garden plants anyway. I am really not that creative with garden things. I tend to just do easy things like shrubs and bulbs, but the garden is north facing and gets no sun , plus our water pipe runs through it so couldn't put things in with strong root systems - it ended up being quite a task to find something that would grow there with short root systems!

I think it was important for little boy as he is sort of bottling it up. Plus it's good to show them that pets matter, even when they are gone. Sometimes when you do something to help someone else, it helps you as well. I like that Charlie has a nice little garden.

The rainbow bridge door is like the little fairy door ornaments you can get for gardens - it's the only rainbow bridge one I saw though. Little boy loves it and has propped it up against the foot of the bird bath and it's pushed down well so it can't fall over. It has a ring on the back to hang it from something but we didn't have anything to hang it from and I think it looks nicer where it is in the flowers anyway. I got the bird bath when I realised the memorial stone I'd ordered was only the size of a pebble :-) But it's nice to grow things round a bird bath anyway - makes it look like a little garden and not just a flowerbed. The snowdrops will be the first things out every year and at the time of year that Charlie went to the rainbow bridge.

Little boy keeps asking for an owl as a pet (he's reading Harry Potter) so had to explain you can't keep owls as pets. I think if we have another hamster it will help him as well as me - to see a young hamster again.

cypher
02-23-2017, 01:19 AM
I can imagine that helping little boy has helped you too as you say & creating a special garden is really therapeutic when dealing with grief.
It will be lovely to see the snowdrops reappear at this time every year & see the other flowers bloom too, a garden to enjoy & remember Charlie year round.
Reading Harry Potter is probably enough to make anyone want an owl :) but I think seeing a young ham again would help you both, I find it helps to focus on the happy memories of a ham that has gone to the bridge rather than on the grief of loss but we are all different regarding when we might be ready for that.

Pebbles82
02-23-2017, 01:43 AM
I'm not ruling out other pets for little boy - another ham would be for me really I think :-) But if he wants another pet he's going to have to take responsibility for it this time so he's got some thinking to do! But I know he'd enjoy having another Hamster in the house.

AmityvilleHams
02-23-2017, 02:03 AM
Maybe a dwarf hamster?It would be very different to a Syrian and you'd need a different food but you would at least be able to repurpose a cage!

It will take time though,but as long as you're ready whenever you choose to let another fluffy ball of potential chaos(also known as a hamster)into your heart it will be wonderful :)

Pebbles82
02-23-2017, 02:08 AM
Thank you Amityville :-)

Hamsterita
02-23-2017, 04:42 AM
That door is amazing, it's going to be an amazing memorial garden!!

I'm glad that you and little boy are feeling a little bit better

CMB
02-23-2017, 12:21 PM
You can have a pet owl, but don't tell little boy. There are falconry centers that run courses for people wanting to learn how to care for and train birds of prey. Some even sell birds.

Having dead chicks, mice etc in the freezer for bird food may not be to every bodies liking though.

BorisPasha
02-23-2017, 12:33 PM
The rainbow bridge door memorial is beautiful Serendipity, just perfect.

Pebbles82
02-23-2017, 02:48 PM
You can have a pet owl, but don't tell little boy. There are falconry centers that run courses for people wanting to learn how to care for and train birds of prey. Some even sell birds.

Having dead chicks, mice etc in the freezer for bird food may not be to every bodies liking though.

Urgh! No room in the freezer anyway - it's full of hamster stuff :rolleyes:

I think he needs an outdoor pet - to keep him off his ipod touch :mad: Sadly he got more interested in the ipod touch and big boy stuff than his pet - but then he has his moments of still being a little boy.

Boris Pasha - thank you. It does look really nice in the little garden area and just makes it a bit special.

Pebbles82
02-28-2017, 07:32 AM
This Charlie's finished memorial flowerbed/garden. Nothing much growing yet but will do soon.

http://i1373.photobucket.com/albums/ag389/charliethehamster/0c82377e-95cd-4f84-930f-d65b43c7b0c3_zpsuawcl2qx.jpg

http://i1373.photobucket.com/albums/ag389/charliethehamster/6ec70e18-25c0-4a5b-b807-9f7f67f4f553_zpssv80zuzg.jpg

http://i1373.photobucket.com/albums/ag389/charliethehamster/a3a7c0fd-bdbf-4c1a-9553-8ecee0334305_zpsfv4qbo1q.jpg

Coco61
02-28-2017, 12:30 PM
I do like the memorial garden very much indeed. The rainbow bridge door and the stone are both lovely. The idea of snowdrops at this time each year is touching. When everything else blooms there will be a lot of colour. A spot to make you smile at the good memories of your very special man ham.

Cinnamon Bear
02-28-2017, 01:58 PM
That's a beautiful memorial, RIP Charlie

Pebbles82
02-28-2017, 03:32 PM
Thank you. There are so many things I have thought and felt but tend to keep them to myself and keep busy. But will just say how incredibly grateful I was to Charlie - and how much I realised how much he gave me - so I had to just do the very best I could for him and I could never say thank you enough to him.

These little hamsters are dependent on us but they give so much.

chesca_27
02-28-2017, 04:04 PM
Wow! It looks beautiful. Such an amazing way to remember an amazing hamster who touched so many lives. The Rainbow Bridge door is perfect. He is very lucky to have such a lovely memorial garden.

RIP little Charlie

Thin Lizzy
03-01-2017, 05:14 AM
So perfect & beautiful serendipity, it brought tears to my eyes seeing Charlie's memorial garden. Especially the stone. You've done him proud xxx

dreamtree1234
03-01-2017, 06:41 PM
I am truly so sorry for your terrible loss, Serendipity. Although I have been a member for only a very short time, I have truly enjoyed getting to know more about you and your beloved Charlie. He definitely was a wonderful hammie, and he put many smiles on my face as I saw his sweet pictures. I could tell that he was extremely loved by you and your boy. Please remember that you did the very best thing for him in the end, and you thought of his needs first although it made things much harder for you to bear. That is the most loving gesture that you can do for him. Please know that he loved you deeply and would want both you and your boy to find peace and happiness. Although it is hard to do, try to remember him with smiles and not tears because he would want you to think of only the happiness and precious memories that you created together. I think that your memorial garden for Charlie sounds live an absolutely magnificent tribute to such a spectacular, full-of-life hamster. It will be a great place for you and your boy to come to be with Charlie and a wonderful way to remember him by. When and if you decide to get another hamster, definitely know that Charlie will be happy about that, too. You will not be replacing him in your heart, but you will be allowing another special furry friend to learn the truest meaning of love through you and allowing Charlie's memory to bless another hammie in the way you did for him. Your heart is so full of love that any hamster would be blessed to call you their mum. Take as much time as you need to mourn Charlie because that should never be rushed, but forever remember that he is with you in your heart always. That will never, ever change. Take care, Serendipity. You and your boy are in my thoughts and prayers. Rest in peace, Charlie. Run free with all of your furry friends in the Rainbow Bridge until you are reunited with your loving family who adores you.

Pebbles82
03-02-2017, 02:53 AM
Thank you so much dreamtree - for those thoughtful and kind words xxx We did have a special bond.

Frobisher
03-27-2017, 10:13 AM
Hello Serendipity,

I am so sorry to read about your loss, you have often given me tips when I have asked the forums for help. I haven't been on here for a while, and was genuinely shocked when I read what had happened to Charlie.

I know from the helpful tips you have given me that you would have given him the most wonderful life. I'm sure he is at the Rainbow Bridge now, ever thankful and loving for all that you did for him.

I hope that you have been given comfort on here, the messages are all lovely.

Sleep well Charlie xx

Pebbles82
03-30-2017, 05:22 AM
Thank you Frobisher. Yes it is hard when they age and start failing but he hung in there as long as he could. We still miss him but as the others say, time heals gradually.

virtualkeith
04-22-2017, 09:09 PM
Hello Serendipity. I know I haven't signed on for so long now, but I've had you and Charlie on my mind, so today I finally both had the time and remembered to sign on.
I am so sorry to hear about Charlie. As someone else wrote, take in the thread for him and all of the interest and well wishes for him. You gave him such a loving life. You were certainly an inspiration for me.
I believe Mr. Carlisle will meet Charlie soon, as I'm afraid his time is near. It's amazing how fast the time goes.
I hope you are well.

RachK
07-01-2017, 12:36 PM
Serendipity, I haven't been on here for months & months...but just caught this thread. I am sorry to hear about Charlie he was such a little character & a well loved hamster. I am honoured to have been able to look after him back in May 2015 when you went on holiday. RIP little man xx

Pebbles82
07-01-2017, 01:01 PM
Thank you Rach xxx I was thinking about you and wondering if you knew. He was a little trooper - and partly yours for a while xxx

herbi7
08-12-2017, 04:35 AM
Serendipity, I haven't been around on the forum for ages but was thinking of you all this morning and also wondered if you might have lost Charlie, given the time span. I wanted to say belatedly how sorry I am and what a wonderful life you gave him. Take care x x x

Thin Lizzy
08-12-2017, 09:05 PM
Time is a great healer, Charlie made such an impact on the forum and he'll be forever loved and remembered.