PDA

View Full Version : Pet Shops - Good or Bad?

jumping_duckie
09-10-2009, 07:44 AM
Can we vote, who trusts the advice of petshop staff?

I want to know other peoples' opinions. I have had several issues with pet shops before, about several animals, including robo hamsters!
Personally I will never buy anything from any petshop selling live animals. Because they dont know, or therefore care, what kind of home the hundreds of animals they sell every year are going to. There is always going to be SOME amount of animals that go to REALLY BAD homes, even if most dont, and I just dont think thats right.
RESCUE ANIMALS ALL THE WAY!

What do you guys think?

Rachel

Bunsey
09-10-2009, 11:00 AM
some pet shops are good, but i've never been in a good one in my area to be honest. Most of them don't have a clue what they're talking about or simply don't care. There is at least one pet shop in my city that sells syrians together, for example.

jumping_duckie
09-10-2009, 11:18 AM
they actually sell syrians together? even 3 year old know they belong alone! oh my god.
i think the owners dont care and the staff probably dont know any better

suga
09-11-2009, 11:40 AM
I have purchased several hamsters from pet shops in the past. The one i go to has been able to tell me the date of birth and has given information when i have needed it, although i obviously can't confirm that and have to take it on trust. I suppose the advantage is that I have had kept many syrians hamsters and if i need to know something i come to a forum for guidance or to a vet if its medical related, and that i have an idea as to what to look for in a hamster when purchasing from a young age.

In a way being regular in a pet shop helps you to build a relationship with them and so they can learn from you as you may or may not from them.