PDA

View Full Version : Safe paint?

Rhine
01-06-2017, 10:04 AM
Hello ~ :)

Been looking for a paint i can use in my hamster cage (painting the wheel and a shelf), other than plasti-kote!
I've had no luck finding it in Norway and getting it from the uk makes it kinda expensive, so.. i need to find something else!

Was wondering what's in plasti-kote, that makes is safe?

I've found a paint that's waterbased, and.. made for painting child bedrooms, and furniture.
Supposed to be really good, no paint smell, no solvent and it's recommended by the Norwegian asthma and allergy foundation.
But still.. kids wont be licking on the walls!.. or eating the paint.
Some hamsters might do that.

http://www.jotun.com/Datasheets/Download?url=%2fTDS%2fTDS__7644__SENS+10+Wood+Plas ter__Euk__GB.pdf

So it's probably not safe.. or?

AmityvilleHams
01-06-2017, 11:35 AM
I would say don't use it.Unless you know exactly what is in the paint,it is best avoided.Just because something is safe for humans doesn't mean it is safe for hamsters,since there are so many things we can have that would potentially kill hamsters :(

Rhine
01-06-2017, 11:52 AM
That's why i added the datasheets, hoped someone could tell me if it looks fine :/
Not gonna use it before i know for sure, so don't worry :D

Drago
01-06-2017, 12:35 PM
I agree with amityville in that it's pretty risky, after reviewing specific ingredients I noted that some of the compounds are considered toxic to humans! (And we are much more tolerant than little hams, plus we don't chew the paint) one compound in particular that can be pretty toxic is acrylic polymer. Even paints stating they're "non-toxic" should be avoided as these tend to actually be quite toxic for hamsters. From what I've heard however, soy based paint can be safe to use with hams so maybe this is worth considering and researching the toxicity of?

AmityvilleHams
01-06-2017, 12:45 PM
If soy paint is somehow available that would be ideal!They'd not have any sort of acrylic polymer and such in them,therefore making them far safer.

The manufacturer of Delta soy paint has international distributors!If you can order it from any of them it would definitely be worth it to do a large soy paint order and use that.

https://plaidonline.com/international-craft-locator.aspx

If soy paint isn't available,the next safest thing I can think of is milk paint.You can order this worldwide from Hobbycraft(UK based,just started worldwide shipping apparently).Make sure it is actually casein based,not just a finish or something that is calling itself a milk paint but in reality is just a simple acrylic paint or something along those lines.

Rhine
01-06-2017, 01:15 PM
Ok, thanks :D
Definitely not gonna use the paint.
Was just hoping i might have found something to use! Haha :)
Ill check out the soy paint, if i have problems getting it, i just have to buy some plastikote.. even if it's a bit pricey getting it here.

AmityvilleHams
01-06-2017, 01:23 PM
Milk paint might be easier!It's Nkr72.00 from Hobbycraft for one 201ml bottle(roughly 8.5 US dollars or just under 7 pound).They also make a seal type finish as well for the same thing,which should also be safe and would be extremely useful.Delivery shouldn't be too expensive,but do take advantage of any order and get as much for one rate as you can otherwise it might not be worth it.

Pebbles82
01-06-2017, 01:26 PM
I think some people have used Cuprinol Garden shades natural - is that available where you are?

I have one other thought - and will need others to comment on it too! I recently used this product on our walls - it is natural, no odour, and provides a waterproof wipe clean surface. I don't know if they ship to Norway - you'd have to check. They are EU approved eco paints - including the wall glaze I'm talking about. But also non toxic and recommended for people with allergies and problems with chemicals. Ingredients are on a tab further down the page.

Wall Glaze - Breathable Paint | Earthborn (http://earthbornpaints.co.uk/product/wall-glaze/)

It may also be just as expensive as getting plasti-kote sent!

To be honest it shouldn't be that expensive to get it sent to norway should it? It costs about £4.50 for a pot and postage shouldn't be more than £4 or £5 maximum by airmail.

Rhine
01-06-2017, 01:52 PM
Ill take a look at the milk paint :)

Not all sites are expensive, but then they wont deliver to Norway! Why i don't know..
..or, one site said something about not shipping liquids ><
I was hoping i could buy it through Amazon, but they won't ship it to me! :/
__________________________________________________ _______________________________

Edit: Oh, just found out they ONLY ship the clear one to me, and i tried getting the white matt one.
But my order has to contain £20 :')
That should be fine though..

Pebbles82
01-06-2017, 01:55 PM
Oh good point - overseas shipping rules/contents are quite strict these days (I was thinking I could post it to you otherwise!)

Pebbles82
01-06-2017, 02:02 PM
I've just looked on the prohibited and restricted items Royal Mail list. Plasti-kote isn't flammable or solvent based so isn't on the prohibited list. But water-based paints and enamels are on the restricted list - ie they must be put in a leak proof plastic bag and have plenty of padding - each item must be no more than 150ml with a maximum of 4 items. Sender's name and address must be clearly visible.

Amazingly Christmas Crackers are on the restricted list! I suppose the contents are unknown ha ha.

Anyway sounds like it is possible to post plastikote if it's packaged correctly and I guess some sellers may not want that hassle. I found a stockist that says they deliver anywhere within the EU but I'm not sure if Norway is fully part of the EU now?

Rhine
01-06-2017, 02:07 PM
Could i paint with some white paint made for small children, then use clear plastikote on top?
When making my diy cage, one of my melamin plate sides lost a bit of paint.. and i kinda want it all white! ;p
But ofc, if it's still a danger to my hammy, ill just have to live with it!
Not gonna show under alle the bedding anyways :)
I'm just a perfectionist.

Rhine
01-06-2017, 02:11 PM
We are a fully part of EU, so it should be fine!
I've found some people shipping to norway, but it's so painful paying more for the shipping, than the plastikote ><
.. and i would have to wait 7-10 days.
I'm just trying to finish my cage so i can pick up my hamster!
Can't wait that long :')

I'm just glad i found out Amazon is willing to ship me the clear one!
.. still don't know why they wont give me white. Pff..

AmityvilleHams
01-06-2017, 02:14 PM
Melamine is not paint though.It's bonded to wood through various methods,and if it is on an edge you could just use melamine edging tape and use an iron to bond it to the melamine.Otherwise,the panel would need to be replaced to actually be all white.

Could you get a glueless flooring or some other roll of glueless flooring,or even non-adhesive contact paper?This would protect the bottom if there's anything exposed that could cause urine to seep into the melamine.If you have minor chips or gaps along edges and didn't use aquarium sealant(which you should anyways with any wood DIY cage)then that will also keep urine from soaking in at least on the edges.You'd need temporary housing though,as hamsters and other pets should only be around sealant when it is completely cured.That process of curing can take several days,but the end result is completely worth it!However this might not be an issue in your case as while posting you also posted and apparently don't have the hamster yet :)

Pebbles82
01-06-2017, 02:15 PM
This company is supposed to be a distributor of Plasti-kote in Norway. Any good?

Farnell Norge

Plasti-Kote, Norway, Agent - Nordicnet.net (http://www.nordicnet.net/country/Norway/trademark/Plasti-Kote/business/Agent/)

Rhine
01-06-2017, 02:23 PM
@AmityvilleHams
I know melamine isn't paint.. i just didnt know what to call it! Sorry :)
I got edging tape, didnt even think about that.
.. and i do have aquarium sealant!
Gonna get the cage together, and use it tomorrow :)
Contact paper wasn't that easy to get where i live.. should really move to a bigger city!
But if i order clear plastikote, and use the melamine edging tape, it should be fine :D
My hamster is not here yet, i've just picked the one i want.
He's waiting for me! Trying to finish the cage as fast as possible, without doing anything wrong!

@Serendipity7000
They might send it to me if i call them, but i really think amazon would be faster shipping it to me! Haha..
Might give them a call tomorrow and ask :)

Pebbles82
01-06-2017, 02:27 PM
Another option is - don't bother lol! I didn't plastikote our first wheel or any wood things. Our hammy uses his potty litter tray and rarely pees in his wheel, plus you can have cardboard shoebox houses (disposable if soiled and replaceable) and plastic shelves :-)

Rhine
01-06-2017, 02:32 PM
My last hamster did pee in her wheel!.. and her potty.
Had to buy her two new wooden wheels! Silly girl..
But hopefully this new little guy wont ;p
Using clear plastikote on the wheel is fine, i don't mind how it looks :D
Was just the cage making everything difficult!