PDA

View Full Version : Materials

Juliebrei
10-21-2016, 03:58 PM
So I really want to start making diy things, but apparently finding the right materials in Denmark is a bit of a nightmare. NOTHING is labeled pet safe! Child safe, yes, but not everything child safe is pet safe is it?
As far as I can tell, school glue is pet safe right? But what about paint? Haven't seen any soy paint or anything like that.
Can anyone help me figure it out?

AmityvilleHams
10-21-2016, 04:55 PM
Can you get Elmer's glue?If so that will work fine :) You probably would have to order soy paint online,just search for that through Amazon.

You're correct!Just because it is child safe doesn't mean it is pet safe :( This is an unfortunate reality,but there are some alternatives.

Flour glue can be an option,and there are methods to make pet safe paint although it won't be quite as nice as using soy paint.

chesca_27
10-21-2016, 05:00 PM
I use natural food colouring which I get from Waitrose (it's a supermarket) so maybe you could find some in a supermarket? I now have a nice range of colours. I recommend diluting them slightly, to conserve them. I find it much cheaper than soy paint, which is ridiculously expensive, where I live, and is not available in any local shops :(.

Most DIYs will involve cardboard or lolly sticks. I use children's craft lolly sticks, just make sure they aren't coloured. Cardboard is pretty straightforward. Check it has no labels or stickers on it.

Non-toxic PVA glue is perfectly safe to use. Flour and water glue is even safer, but I have struggled with it in the past and find it very messy.

ErinsAnimals (on YouTube) has a great range of hamster DIYs you can try out. :)

huri ur
10-21-2016, 06:13 PM
Hello
U can search Erin's animals on YouTube she has a vid on pet safe paint !

Culprit
10-21-2016, 06:18 PM
Five words: toilet paper tubes and hot glue

Juliebrei
10-21-2016, 06:27 PM
I have my eye on vanilla hams lollipop stick house and digging tower and also the new snake tube, which is where the real problem comes in with the paint. As I said, school glue is easy to find and as far as I know thats perfectly safe.
I could try the food colouring, but it usually only comes in like 3 different colours in regular stores.

AmityvilleHams
10-21-2016, 07:08 PM
You can make your own berry dyes,or use other hamster safe things that generally produce a colorful stain :) This would be all natural and you can be entirely sure that you have something safe!

Juliebrei
10-21-2016, 07:20 PM
Yeah, I just saw the video, and I have juicer so it would even be easy for me. But doesn't it go bad? It's fresh food after all.

AmityvilleHams
10-21-2016, 07:26 PM
It might go bad over time,so do small batches of juice and only paint items that are easy to replace if they go a bit off(or get destroyed).However,it would take a good amount of time for the things to go bad so they'd most likely get destroyed before they actually go bad.

huri ur
10-21-2016, 07:47 PM
If they go bad you could re make it again I for one enjoy doing projects for Peanut

chesca_27
10-22-2016, 03:52 AM
I have my eye on vanilla hams lollipop stick house and digging tower and also the new snake tube, which is where the real problem comes in with the paint. As I said, school glue is easy to find and as far as I know thats perfectly safe.
I could try the food colouring, but it usually only comes in like 3 different colours in regular stores.

I saw the Snake tutorial last night. The annoying thing is all my kitchen roll tubes are at my dad's house :rolleyes: so I can't make it yet :(. I started the digging tower in August, I should probably finish that :rolleyes:.

For food colouring, do you have any craft stores or baking shops? If so they would have a large selection in the baking section.

You can always mix colours as well, if it helps.

Juliebrei
10-31-2016, 05:29 AM
I went and took a look at the food colouring in the nearest store… it's not natural and I don't think natural food colouring will be easy to find here.
I found this web site however Lerbaseret maling - Naturlig miljømærket lermaling fra Levende Farver (http://levendefarver.dk/om-vore-malinger/lermaling/)
Sorry for the Danish again, but it's the only way to be sure that it is available to me. It's some kind of non toxic clay based paint. Could that be hamster safe possibly?

AmityvilleHams
10-31-2016, 05:34 AM
I wouldn't use it.Clay would not be something you want your hamster to eat,so an alternative is necessary.

Juliebrei
10-31-2016, 06:02 AM
How about this then?
https://www.naturebaby.dk/shop/fingermaling-6-pak-8958p.html
This is driving me absolute crazy… I think that's pretty much as natural as you get in Denmark.
Also, school glue was safe right? Don't think I really got a confirmation on that.

AmityvilleHams
10-31-2016, 06:22 AM
Unless you can figure out the ingredients,I wouldn't take that chance.It is a very annoying issue when you want nice things,but at the end of the day it is better to not take such risks that could harm pets :(

Culprit
11-01-2016, 11:05 AM
At least in U.S.A Elmers School Glue is just fine

AmityvilleHams
11-01-2016, 01:55 PM
Elmer's glue is fine,but other school glues are slightly risky.

Juliebrei
11-03-2016, 06:54 AM
this is the glue i have. Skolelim, 100ml | 39002 (http://www.cchobby.dk/skolelim-100ml-16)
it says water soluble and in the test document it says non toxic.

AmityvilleHams
11-03-2016, 07:19 AM
If you have no access to Elmer's glue,it would possibly be safe.Keep in mind non toxic to humans doesn't always equal non toxic to hamsters,as there are plenty things which humans can have which are incredibly unsafe for hamsters.Try and get Elmer's glue though,unless it is physically impossible.

Juliebrei
11-03-2016, 07:31 AM
I'm pretty sure its not possible. not the non toxic anyway. just because it says elmers doesn't auomatically make it safe does it?
this is the only emers i found.
https://www.anlaglas.com/shop/elmers-lim-225ml-2449p.html

are any of these possibly safe?
Skolelim, 100ml | 39003 (http://www.cchobby.dk/skolelim-100ml-17)
Aqua Universallim, 100ml | 39012 (http://www.cchobby.dk/aqua-universallim-100ml)

AmityvilleHams
11-03-2016, 07:50 AM
That Elmer's should be fine :) It's a specific brand actually.I'm not sure on the safety of the others,but with Elmer's glue it is generally the safest option.

Juliebrei
11-03-2016, 08:00 AM
i'm gonna have to think about this.. the shipping costs are twice the price of the actual glue :-S