PDA

View Full Version : Aquarelle pencils safe for hamsters?

XMarye_T
10-20-2016, 03:28 AM
Hiya guys,
I'm currently making a DIY hamster hideout as seen in one of the videos from ErinsAnimals: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duzZKLoyYyk

Now, I don't own any waterpaint or such, but I do own a set of koh-i-noor aquarelle coloured pencils. On the box it says water-soluble, and on several websites it says that the pencils are made without any toxic stuff in them, but does that also mean that they are safe to use for hamsters? Won't the paint be toxic to them?

Thanks guys! :D

AmityvilleHams
10-20-2016, 07:58 AM
The only way you will know they're safe is to know the exact ingredients.If you don't know what they're made from,do not use them.

A completely safe option would be dyeing wood and other things with natural fruit juices from hamster safe fruit,and the good thing about this is you know exactly what goes into anything you make and can be entirely sure it isn't unsafe!Another option is soy paint,but that generally has to be ordered online though it is better for painting things rather than just dyeing them so if you want better details soy paint will be a better choice.

XMarye_T
10-27-2016, 05:37 AM
Thank you for you advice! I'm just going to try both options, see what works best :) Does food coloring that is safe for humans also work?

AmityvilleHams
10-27-2016, 05:42 AM
I wouldn't risk it.Unless you know exactly what is in them,and can verify it is entirely safe for hamsters,you're taking a chance that isn't worth it.Plus,a lot of food dye for humans is just artificial color which isn't good and should generally be avoided!

XMarye_T
10-27-2016, 03:52 PM
Good to know, thanks! I'll stick to veggies and fruit then :)

chesca_27
10-27-2016, 05:51 PM
Natural food colouring is fine! Just make sure it's natural. They are mainly just concentrated fruits and veggies. I just find it easier than making my own every time I want to make DIYs. :)