How to make the cage:
Ocdcl-82ybE

How to make the lid:
kvQPTvrqOwE

Vanilla in his new cage:
XU03Tp8KcMs

CMB
10-14-2016, 10:35 AM
Lovely cage and he enjoys the toys and houses etc.

Those treat cupboards are a good idea. Do you have a tutorial on how you made them?

Vanilla
10-14-2016, 10:44 AM
Lovely cage and he enjoys the toys and houses etc.

Those treat cupboards are a good idea. Do you have a tutorial on how you made them?

Thank you :D The tutorial for all the furniture in the house is here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyPGGOg87Qs)

CMB
10-14-2016, 11:05 AM
Thank you. Those opening cupboards will be great hiding things for a hamster to find. Like food, treats and nesting material.

mushroomandcucumber
10-14-2016, 02:52 PM
Wow! I definitely want to make one of these! Maybe next month...
Where did you get the safe sealant from? And safe paint? :)

Culprit
10-14-2016, 05:56 PM
THIS LOOK INCREDIBLE! How much did it cost all told?

flowerfairy
10-15-2016, 02:10 AM
What a glorious cage. I love your youtube videos.

SKB_Hamsters
10-16-2016, 09:47 AM
Your DIY cage looks lovely - I really enjoyed watching your video on the construction of your cage and has given me some ideas. That is such a good idea on painting the mesh white.
Vanilla looks like he was enjoying his new cage.

Vanilla
10-17-2016, 07:52 AM

The sealant is from eBay and the paint on the inside is Plastikote project enamel. I think the paint on the outside was from B&Q :)

Vanilla
10-17-2016, 07:55 AM
THIS LOOK INCREDIBLE! How much did it cost all told?

Together about £50 :)

Cage:
3x Linnmon table tops: £15 (Ikea)
Hemnes glass table top: £15 (Ikea)
6x screw caps: ~£0.50 (eBay)
Aquarium silicone: ~£3 (eBay)
Mirror brackets: ~£2 (eBay)
Floor protectors: ~£0.50 (Ikea)
💰Total: £36 ($47.42)

Lid:
Wood: ~£4 (Wickes)
4 Corner plates: ~£1 *(eBay)
Steel mesh: £2.99 (Wickes)
Hinges: ~£1 (eBay)
Lid stay: ~£3 (eBay)
Magnetic latch: ~£1.50 (eBay)
💰Total: ~£13.49 ($17.51)

Culprit
10-17-2016, 08:12 AM
what did you use for the front? Glass?

chesca_27
10-17-2016, 04:00 PM
what did you use for the front? Glass?

Yes it is glass :)

chesca_27
10-17-2016, 04:02 PM

I managed to buy that exact sealant off of Amazon as well. It was around £6. Just search aquarium sealant. :)

Jellybaby24
11-12-2016, 01:51 PM
that look amazing! i have the billy ikea cage - this looks like a great cage to make as well!

Thehannahisnotcool
11-12-2016, 01:57 PM
This is beautiful. How is easy is it to clean though?

InkyPen
11-12-2016, 02:47 PM
Wow, that's a beautiful cage! I'm sure Vanilla will love it :)

Pebbles82
11-13-2016, 04:47 PM
Wow that's brilliant! Not too expensive either.

CMB
11-14-2016, 08:07 AM
This is beautiful. How is easy is it to clean though?

Looks quite easy to clean out. Scoop out the old substrate and use a vacuum cleaner to get the last little bits. The pee corner may would need wiping too.

If your hamster pees in a potty you just empty the potty and refill. This way you won't have to change all the substrate as often.

Rhine
12-29-2016, 09:27 PM
Hello!
I really love the cage - LOVE IT.. it kinda looks like the cage i wanted to buy!
So i was thinking, why don't i just make it!
You instructions makes it easy to 'copy', thank you so much :D
Was just wondering, did you paint the inside also? I've seen some people painting the ikea billy shelves, and some just keeping the ikea surface as it is.
Both seems to be working perfetly, so i really don't know if i should do it or not! :)
.. and i'm just guessing that the billy shelves is made out of the same material as the linnmon table tops, so i might be wrong thinking that you don't need to paint ontop of the original paint :)

AutumnHammy
03-21-2017, 02:06 AM
Is the glass front you used 108x50?

There's a few different size options so unsure which one to use!

greenie
01-04-2018, 03:44 PM
How did you get the clear front to the cage?

AlbysMum
01-11-2018, 10:33 AM
How did you get the clear front to the cage?

Hey, unless you have made the cage already, have a look at my thread here (http://www.hamstercentral.com/community/diy-do-yourself-hamster-projects/71545-ikea-linnmon-cage-glass-window.html) and here (http://www.hamstercentral.com/community/diy-do-yourself-hamster-projects/71735-diy-linnmon-cage-update.html). The second one will explain how I substituted the glass window as IKEA doesn't stock it anymore. Hope this could help!

Nekomii
03-02-2018, 06:31 AM
Hi, Ikea sell a linnmon tabletop that is 120x60cm, they also have a glass top at 120x40, so i thought that would be a good replasement for the glass used in Vanillas cage, the cage would be alittlebit more expencive, but it would also be around 1000sq inches! :D

you would need
2 IKEA linnmontabletop 120x60
1 IKEA linnmontabletop 100x60 (for the sides of the cage)
1 BESTÅ glass top, 120x40

and just follow valinnahamham's DIY video. :D
The cage will be alot more expencive, but it will also be bigger.

Plexiglass is also an option ofc.

fingers
10-14-2019, 03:43 AM
Can anyone advise me of best way to cut the linnmon table tops - as ikea is well over an hour drive if i mess it up =).

Otaku
11-17-2019, 12:57 PM
Can anyone advise me of best way to cut the linnmon table tops - as ikea is well over an hour drive if i mess it up =).

In the video they used a circular saw, which gets lovely results. I'm sure if you ask some friends someone will have one and be able to cut it for you.

Meanwhile, it is a beautiful cage. Light and spacious, but the weight would be an issue for me. It must weigh about 20kg! :o

fingers
11-18-2019, 02:36 AM
In the video they used a circular saw, which gets lovely results. I'm sure if you ask some friends someone will have one and be able to cut it for you.

Meanwhile, it is a beautiful cage. Light and spacious, but the weight would be an issue for me. It must weigh about 20kg! :o

Thx used circular saw in the end was slightly off even with clamping good enough for first attempt. If i was todo it again would have used jigsaw with starrett dual cut blade (clean cut every time!).

This is revision 2 of the cage, first one did not have an upper platform and had to use wood shavings till I could get some Burlybed bedding. Few things i've found with my Syrian hamster is she loves the corners so much i woke up to find that she nearly made it through to honeycomb structure. In the photo's you'll see I got some vinyl floor planks (easier to fit than square one's less cutting!) I laid these on the bottom of the floor and edges. I used the foam that the ikea glass came and stuck it on with doublesided tape to stop the shaving's leaking from onto the floor. Also put a piece of stripwood on by the glass so there was not a space!

Otaku
11-18-2019, 03:29 PM
It looks fantastic fingers! Festive too! I really love the all glass front for easy and relaxed observation, and I prefer the fact that you have yours elevated off the floor. Your hamster looks happy too, little cutie!

alpacassei
11-18-2019, 04:27 PM
Burlybed really isnt suitable bedding for hamsters unfortunately. It cant hold burrows properly and its just too spiky. Please switch back to woodshavings or paper bedding

fingers
11-18-2019, 11:57 PM
Burlybed really isnt suitable bedding for hamsters unfortunately. It cant hold burrows properly and its just too spiky. Please switch back to woodshavings or paper bedding

Have to disagree burlybed is really soft and she berrows in it just as much as the wood shavings and enjoys a little nibble. Snowflake was the only brand available to me and after emailing the manufacture it’s mainly cedar, pine and spruce so not great hence not using wood shavings as you do not know what you are getting. Burlybed is elephant grass so as natural as you get.

I have yet to try Aubiose bedding bale hemp which is next on my list as these are easier to source than the paper variants.

alpacassei
11-19-2019, 03:55 PM
I still recommend switching to paper bedding such as fitch or kaytee clean and cosy, its much softer and more suitable. You can use the burlybed in a small area or mixed in with the paper bedding but its really not the best choice as a lone substrate.