PDA

View Full Version : It's too soon to be writing this.

EnerHam
07-16-2016, 01:04 AM
Speedy. What do I say? When I first took you home last month you were so frail I wasn't sure if you'd last the night. But then you proved me wrong by wolfing down all the food in sight, sleeping and then repeating the cycle all over again night after night

With patience and a lot of care you got stronger. I knew it was going to be an uphill battle, but I thought we were winning. You started to use your back legs, your fur got thicker and your face changed, and all the while you wandered around, happy to be picked up and played with. Two weeks later, even with a health scare, you were a different hamster.

But maybe I hoped for too much. You were, after all, still a runt. Still under half the size of your siblings. You still fell onto your back and couldn't get up, still needed your hamster mix to be made smaller before you could get your mouth around it.

Maybe this was inevitable. At first, I thought you were being lazy, reverting back to your old ways of dragging your back legs around. But you weren't, were you? That voracious appetite of yours was still there, so I assumed you were okay. Everything seemed fine up until the night before you passed. You were still moving around, but this time it seemed harder for you.

Everything you did required effort, just moving from one end of your cage to the other was a feat in itself, but this time was different. For the first time since I'd known you, you didn't seem to want to try. Like you knew what was coming.

Part of me knew there was a chance that would be it. So I told you I loved you before I went to sleep, put your food and your water close by and prayed you'd survive long enough for me to get you a vet. I have to admit I was optimistic despite the pit of worry by stomach had become. You survived massive blood loss, after all.

But it wasn't to be. I'm sorry you had such a hard and short life. You were the sweetest little hamster I've ever had the pleasure to own. I hope you found comfort in me being close by when the end came. I hope you didn't suffer, and it doesn't look like you did. When I found you yesterday morning I thought you were sleeping for a split second.

I also want to thank you. Thanks for being such a determined little guy, thanks for coming into my life, thanks for reminding me why I own ten animals and put myself through so much grief: you're worth it. Your life was fleeting, but it will never be forgotten. You showed courage and determination right up until the end.

So I'll make you a promise. Your mum is with me now. She's bright, she's cute and curious. I see a lot of you in her. I will look after her as well as I did you. She'll have the best life I can give her and I'll thank her for bringing you into the world.

So join everyone else. Humphrey, Henry, Ivan, Keith, Molly, Rory, Harry, Charlie, Cinnamon, Snow, Ivy and Hutch. Dance over the rainbow bridge and enjoy your rest on the other side, my friend. Heaven knows you've earned it.

12 weeks. Your life wasn't long enough.

RIP Speedy.

http://i65.tinypic.com/302486d.jpg

http://i64.tinypic.com/s16emq.jpg

http://i65.tinypic.com/351wxog.jpg

http://i64.tinypic.com/20gb6nk.jpg

http://i68.tinypic.com/2gwvpjc.jpg

http://i66.tinypic.com/35isv20.jpg

cypher
07-16-2016, 01:30 AM
A lovely memorial to your very special little Speedy, he was such a courageous little trooper, his life was far too short but he really made the most of it, his short time with you was so full of love, happiness & fun, he couldn't have wanted for more.
He'll live forever in your heart & will be so fondly remembered by many of us here too.

He's at peace now, no more struggles with the difficulties his birth presented him with, playing at the bridge with all the other hams.

Run free & play well at the bridge Speedy.

souffle
07-16-2016, 02:29 AM
I am so very sorry. Some hamsters live a lifetime of love in a short space of time. They don't know it was short - just that is was full of love. Play well at the bridge Speedy - renewed in health x

Amber_x
07-16-2016, 06:29 AM
I am so sorry. You gave him a great life and although his time was short it was filled with happiness. Rest in peace Speedy <3

Scarlett Empress
07-16-2016, 07:45 AM
It honestly brought tears to my eyes reading your lovely tribute to dear little Speedy - what a special boy he was. You gave him the very best life he could possibly have. xxx

Nancy's Hamsters
07-16-2016, 07:47 AM
Aw I was saddened to read Speedy had went to the bridge, but then a little chuckle came in as I thought about how this little courageous mighty mite of a hamster always lived his life at full speed. How could we not expect his departure to be anything less then his life which was always at high speed?

His whole speedy life was his personality. He always took things in his life at full speed. If only we all could live like Speedy. Can't fit that food in your mouth? Let someone break it into smaller pieces and go at it. Can't hold your food in your paws? Just dive in, and use your mouth and shovel it on in. Can't use your rear end like a normal hamster? Who cares just bring them legs along with your front end.

Nothing seemed to draw Speedy away from the love of living while he was with us on this earth. He loved life to the fullest, and had a wonderful Owner who had no problem sacrificing their time, and brain power to make life as easy, and joyful as Speedy had.

Hugs to you Enerham while you mourn the passing of Speedy. I am positive Speedy is grateful you have now given his Mother a kind and loving home where she will no longer be a baby factory, and will see what true loving kindness is, probably for the first time in her life.

Speedy enjoy life at Rainbow Bridge where you will be able to eat any food you wish and have complete health and be able to Speedily run free.

Coco61
07-16-2016, 09:35 AM
Enerham you have written a beautiful memorial for a very special little guy. Speedy reached out far and wide on HC as we all willed him to live. And he did, in his own way. I don't think I can put it better than Nancy.
Be comforted knowing you did the best possible.
Run free Speedy, forever in your Mum's heart.

EnerHam
07-16-2016, 10:47 AM
Speedy really was the perfect name for him. Thank you for the lovely replies.

His mum is doing very well.

Pebbles82
07-16-2016, 12:47 PM
Brought tears to my eyes too. Play well over the rainbow bridge little boy.

freyashamsters
07-16-2016, 01:29 PM
So sorry to hear about Speedy's passing, he was so young and energetic. This was a beautiful tribute and brought a tear to my eye.

Run free & play well at the bridge Speedy xxx

SKB_Hamsters
07-16-2016, 02:32 PM
This was is such a wonderful memorial to Speedy, it was so emotional to read. It's clear that you gave Speedy so much love, giving him the best life. Play well Speedy at the bridge.

AlfredHam
07-16-2016, 05:02 PM
Sorry to hear this :( you did your absolute best for that little ham and no one could have done any better than you, the entire forum was backing your efforts with speedy and I know I fell in love with him just through pictures and stories on the Internet, he was a really special little guy and you made his short life very happy. He couldn't have wished for a better more caring owner and he was lucky to have had someone like you take him on, a lot of people wouldn't have been up to the challenge. Sleep well speedy x

milothehamster
07-16-2016, 06:41 PM
I started crying while Reading this. His life was too short but atleast he made the most of it. Rest in Peace.