PDA

View Full Version : Kaytee Crittertrail Extreme Challenge Habitat

anniechu87
06-06-2016, 08:03 PM
http://i5.walmartimages.com/dfw/dce07b8c-b295/k2-_3c396eee-0657-46c1-9a27-ba0ed484908f.v1.jpg

I'm a first time hamster owner and bought this cage for my Russian Dwarf. There weren't a lot of options at the time and soon I will be upgrading but I just wanted to give a review for those who were interested.

First off, it would be WAY too small for a Syrian. Even for my little one I think sometimes it looks a little cramped. I'm thinking of doing a bin cage next.

Easy to Clean: Everything comes apart very nicely for a nice, thorough clean :) Takes me about 30 minutes from end to end. At the top of the cage there is also a removable little container to put your hammy in when you're cleaning the cage, which is pretty convenient.

Wheel: It's a pretty neat wheel, when your hammy spins it it also rotates on an axis. Pebbles seems to enjoy it but its a little bit heavy for her to move.

Food/Water Accessories: The cage itself comes with a food bowl and water bottle - both are plastic. No complaints really, but I opted to switch out the food bowl with a ceramic one, just because she tends to dig around in it a lot and I don't want bacteria to get in the scratch marks - plus ceramic is easy to clean!

Tubing: I like the option of being able to add more tubing - I've removed the bubble plug and made her an L shape extension using some Crittertrail tubes I bought from PetSmart.

Slide: Probably my favourite part of the cage - but it has it's downsides as it takes up a lot of space. Pebbles enjoys running up and down it, napping under it, and occasionally she flip onto her back and shimmy down it - super adorable.

Overall: I'd say it's a good starter cage for sure, but there may be better ones out there. It's definitely not the worst out there, but if you can then maybe a bin cage would be better to give her more space.

freyashamsters
06-08-2016, 12:23 AM
I'd agree, anything by Crittertrail is far too small for permanent living. You covered all the points very well and have a very detailed review :)

anniechu87
06-08-2016, 11:28 PM
Thank you, freshyahamsters :)