PDA

View Full Version : Is it okay to put mummy and baby girl together?

Toast
05-28-2009, 12:19 PM
Hello!
I'm Jess and im very brand new to all this.
My friend helps out at a rescue charity and a couple of weeks ago a pregnant dwarf came in so she took her home and cared for her. Now the babies are 2weeks old (i realise i cant have them until 6weeks but i like to be prepared). In the litter there is (as far we we know) 6 boys and 1 girl.

We have found homes for a few but i wanted dibs in :P hehe. Would it be okay to home the mummy and baby girl together in one cage. My cage is quite big at 58x32x41cm. As i'm not sure whether the mummy will be adopted. O, would it be better to find another home for mummy and have two boys?

I would really like girls to be quite honest. But they are SO unbeliveably cute at about 1.5inches long :D :D so i wouldnt really mind boys if need be. I just want to do whats best

Thanks everyone in advance for your help and advice :D

Also, any ideas about the food dispensers? are they pointless??

Jess

souffle
05-28-2009, 12:28 PM
Hi Jess and welcome
Good for you taking on a rescue hammy or two.
The babies should all stay will mum till they are 4 weeks old. At 4 weeks the boys should be separated into a group and the girly should be left with mum. If you like you could take mum and daughter and they should be able to live happily together provided you have a nice big cage with two of everything. Don't get a cage with compartments or tunnels as these can cause fights over territory.
Don't use food bowls or dispensers with dwarfs at all. Instead scatter feed them, hiding bits here and there as they love to forage. With a bowl you may find one will hog it and stop the other eating.
Looking forward to meeting your hammies :)

Toast
05-28-2009, 01:14 PM
Thats souffle, thats lots of help.
So in about a week and a half they will be mine :D
I'll introduce them as soon as they are settled in

Thanks xxx