PDA

View Full Version : Male hamsters living together

mattwebber1992
05-22-2009, 12:32 AM
Does anyone know how many male chinese can live together. I have heard they dont like being with each other but i thought that was females, and my girlfriends 2 live together happily. I was going to get 4 of them but i would like some advice because i dont want to buy 4 and have them all fight.

mattrendle
07-29-2009, 12:25 PM
i have two male chinese dwarf hamsters living together , they live together fine, no fights so far, dont no about 4 but two are defently fine.what i would recomend though is a large cage, they really like to run around .
hope that can help :).

Toria
07-30-2009, 02:10 PM
I don't know anything really about Chinese Hamsters. But i bought a book about dwarf hamsters the other day and they advise that they don't live together, but i don't know if that is females, by the sounds of it they are more violent that the males...
Sorry i'm not that much help really... :roll:

internet_nobody
07-30-2009, 02:23 PM
I wouldn't try 4, they're really not a colony animal. Pairs sometimes work, but larger groups are almost unheard of. If you want a colony I would recommend campbells.

Bunsey
07-30-2009, 02:35 PM
if you really want chinese and really want more than one, then a pair of males is the way to go. However, be prepared that they might need splitting, probably about a 50% chance really. Females it would be hardly any chance of keeping a pair together!

hamster mum
07-30-2009, 03:53 PM
I had two male chinese hamsters, they were the best of friends all their lives and when one eventually died of old age his brother followed him within a week.

mattwebber1992
07-31-2009, 03:57 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone, i went to get 2 but then there was 1 left all alone and im not one for leaving an animal without a companion so i got him as well.
I got them on the 4th of June and ive had no probs with fighting they all seem happy little boys.
I called them Chris, Brian and Stewie.

louisbs
08-16-2010, 06:41 AM
I have 2 males.. Tom & Jerry.. Had them since babies back in april 2010. They live together fine :)
One thing is too get a large enough cage.. So if they do get fed up they can do there own thing away from each other.

SarahJ
08-16-2010, 06:48 AM
U lot are lucky - My two Chinese boys lived to together for about 4 weeks until i had to split them up - i heard squeaking one day looked int heir cage to see what was going on and Monkey had pinned Stinky down and was biting his little thoart :( im so glad iw as there to stop them or i dread to think what what have happened to Stinky!

Vectis Hamstery
08-16-2010, 01:31 PM
I'm glaf your chinese males are living together happily. Please keep a close eye on them for fighting. I would separate them immediately if there's any sign of injury on either of them. I too have had no luck with pairs of males - a 5 week old boy needed eyelid surgery for wounds sustained from his brother.