PDA

View Full Version : Hamsterland... Could It solve all??

kateprid
11-07-2005, 09:03 AM
Hi All, Just looking for some advice really....

I have posted in the Classifeids section as i am having trouble with my two chinese hammies fighting.... However i have just had the brainwave... what about getting a different cage.. a slightly bigger one... then maybe that will deter them from fighting. Do you think this may work? Also what do people think of the Hamsterland Cage??

Thanks

souffle
11-07-2005, 09:21 AM
It might do but I do not know a lot about chinese. There are not many about. Sometimes offering two bedding boxes and two food dishes, treat sticks, wheels etc can help. A bigger cage did not stop our russians from fighting when we had them though! If you can accomodate a bigger cage maybe you could manage two smaller ones and keep both. Even two tank types you could stack or I have seen plastic tanks with a divider down the centre somewhere. Maybe you could rig up one yourself if you are handy. I think in your heart you want to keep both little lads so go for it. The hamsterland cage seems very big and not very accessable for getting the hams out and cleaning. If they fought in there you would have a job sorting them out.

Emma
11-07-2005, 11:14 AM
I wouldn't go for a hamsterland cage for many reasons, but I think the right habitat can reduce squabbling. However from what I know about chinese, I wouldn't hold out much hope to be honest. Some people even keep them solitary as a rule, like syrians. Is the fighting so bad that you've already separated them?

flogging_molly
11-07-2005, 12:18 PM
Hey there, I myself have never heard of these Hamsterland cages however if you are to buy a bigger cage this may well deter the fighting - also i find with my Robo's who had a few squabbles that lots of toys kept them occupied too, so this could be something to look into as well

littlemissdwarfhamster
11-07-2005, 03:04 PM
Hamsterland would just create 'territories' to fight over. If you want a bigger cage, get a bin type cage or a tank. Dont use a food bowl either as this is a major cause of fighting.