PDA

View Full Version : Selective feeding - any advice

Rolo-n-Rocky
05-19-2009, 05:47 AM
I'm experiencing some selective feeding with my boys.

They have Harry Hamster mix at the moment but will only eat the yellow and green flakes (I think) out of the whole mix! They are chucking all the other food all over the cage and are making themselves hungry refusing to eat it.

I noticed that their food had stopped going down (in both cages) and that I hadn't topped it up in a couple of days as there was still plenty left but they won't touch it. As soon as I refill it with more of the flakes that they like, they dive in as though they've not been fed for weeks!

I know it's important that they are constantly able to graze but also that they get the right nutrition.

Every other small animal has a pellet based food to prevent/cure selective feeding but I can't find one for hammies!

Any ideas on how to get them to eat a balanced diet instead of just parts of it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

souffle
05-19-2009, 09:00 AM
All hamsters selectively feed to some extent but they will normally eat a balanced diet so I would not worry. They all love to get their new food and come rushing out for it. Hamsters eat so little each day that you don't really notice how much they eat. Best to feed every 3 days which encourages more different types to be eaten. Offer some other bits and peices like fresh fruit or veg, cooked pasta, chicken, mealworms, tofu and egg every few days too in tiny amounts.
We and numerous others have tried the all in one food but it did not go down well and hammies lost weight. When you see how much they enjoy rummaging through the food bowl and selecting and shelling seeds I would not advise depriving them of this natural behavior.

Rolo-n-Rocky
05-19-2009, 04:05 PM
oh right!

Ok I'll stick with what I'm doing then as they're not getting fed every day as it is.

They just seem to eat a lot of one type and then not touch it - but you're probably right, i just don't notice it! Thanks :)