PDA

View Full Version : Boys or girls?

helenf
05-15-2009, 01:05 PM
Me again

Tried to sex the robos tonight - have to say, they are incredibly hard to get hold of! But it didn't help that I was nervous, either.

I have my suspicion after this that McNulty might be a boy and Bubbles a girl - either that or both girls, but I'm not sure.

My photos aren't brilliant quality, but I wondered if anyone could help?

eta: Photo links deleted as I took them off file host, but in the end Bubs was a girl and McNulty was a boy.

Tammy22
05-15-2009, 01:14 PM
Hiya,

I think you may be right!

The pics are not that clear, but I can definately see nipples on bubbles, but not on the other hamster, and i think i can see a gap between the two openings on the other one.

I think you need to separate them!

Tammy x

helenf
05-15-2009, 01:27 PM
Thanks, I separated them straight away - Bubbles is now in a plastic box (but it's about the same size as the cage).

I'm a bit gutted though, I specifically wanted dwarf hamsters so that I could have a pair living together. Oh well. They are lovely little things.

I'm also worried I've scared them - it took about half an hour to get them and take pictures - I was nervous which didn't help. I just hope they're okay and not too lonely now.

Tammy22
05-15-2009, 02:09 PM
Hiya,

yes, i completely understand how you feel - obviously you bought them to hopefully live together - you could have got a Syrian if you wanted a hamster to live alone :(

I am sure they will be fine living alone, they will just have to get used it - but usually when robos live alone they become more interested and tolerent of people - so they will probably become much tamer and used to you too :)

Good Luck with them,

Tammy x

Pompompoms
05-15-2009, 04:30 PM
Hiya,

I had to separate my Robo's due to fighting (I am going to try introducing them again but not for a few weeks). To be honest they both were very unhappy and quiet for a few days but now they're really getting so much tamer. The Cloud laid in my hands for half an hour today not moving an inch just being stroked happily. Little Jam who was possibly the most scared hamster ever is coming out now too and even allowing a little stroke for a few minutes every now and then.

Like Tammy said, I think they will be totally fine apart, and much much more friendly!

:D

helenf
05-17-2009, 04:39 AM
The saga continues.

I was unsure in my opinion on the boy/girl thing so rang up the original petstore (Pets @ Home Letchworth) and asked if they knew the sex of the litter they got them from. They didn't, but said come in and they would offer an opinion.

The girl (same one who sold us them) now said she was 99.9 per cent sure they were both girls.

I was not convinced.

Today we went to the Stevenage store, because we'd been there prior to purchase (they didn't have robos in stock) and one of the staff had impressed us by being quite knowledgeable about hamsters and pairing them up, etc. He confirmed my suspicions and said McNulty is a boy and Bubbles is a girl. Obviously the Letchworth store woman could be right, but after this I think my initial 'diagnosis' was correct.

The guy at Stevenage (Aaron, I think) was really helpful and also let me exchange my Spelos cage for a Ferplast Mini Duna (they've started stocking them now, btw) - I already have another cage that's being delivered tomorrow that Bubbles can live in (she is in a big plastic box in the meantime).

Had they had other robo pairs in stock he would've let me exchange Bubbles and McNulty too, but I don't think I could've done it. I love them now!

Of course my concern now is what will happen over the next couple of weeks - will Bubbles have baby robos? Stay tuned!