PDA

View Full Version : Temporary cage dilemma

helenf
05-15-2009, 03:00 AM
Hi,

I've just bought two Robos from a Pets at Home where I was recommended a Savic Spelos as a cage for both of them. I've since read, of course, that it isn't very good and not nearly big enough, so I've ordered a Ferplast Multy which has had praise here.

However the site I've ordered it from says one-two weeks for delivery and though I've emailed them to ask if they know when it's likely to come in, I've had no reply.

I'm concerned about whether the Spelos will be okay for them over the next couple of weeks. I don't like the tunnel much - if one has to get past the other in there they sometimes do a bit of a play squabble, but I would hate for it to get more serious than that.

I can't afford to go out and buy a massive cage as a temporary measure - that's what the Multy is for. I have access to a (used) Rotastak Maxi Mansion if necessary, but I don't think it's much bigger. My only other option would be to use a big plastic container in the meantime.

So what do you think? While I wait for the Multy do I keep them both in the Spelos, both in the Maxi Mansion, or get a maaaassive plastic box for them?

Tammy22
05-15-2009, 03:11 AM
Hiya,

congratulations on your new Robos :)

As you have already found out, the spelos is not a very good cage, but i am sure it woudl be suitable just until the new cage arrives - they sound like they are only babies, so they probably wouldnt squabble too much in the next couple of weeks anyway.

How big is the plastic container? if it is even slightly bigger than the base of the spelos then i am sure it will be fine too - better actually, as it doesnt have the tube.

I wouldnt recommend the rotastak though.

Also, it would be a good idea to check the sexes of both of your robos as pet shops more often than not get it wrong!

Tammy x

helenf
05-15-2009, 03:17 AM
Thanks - I'll keep a close eye on them and hope for the best then - I do have a box I can use if it looks like they're not happy. Hopefully the Multy will come soon.

I do want to sex them asap as the shop assistant wasn't confident at all and just said 'They're probably all the same sex'. Of course I'm not quite at the point of being able to grab them yet :D. I tried introducing my hand into the cage yesterday and they kept disappearing into the tube :). But I'm patient and I know they'll get more used to me eventually.

Tammy22
05-15-2009, 03:25 AM
Hiya,

that is a shame that they are selling hamsters without sexing them correctly :(

You need to get them sexed ASAP - like now!! regardless of wether they are tame or not. You will need to catch the hamster, hold him by the loose skin on the back of his / her neck and get a good look at them.

You might need someone to help you - if you hold both of the hamsters together and compare them you might be able to see if they are the same or different.

Please the following page on my website:

http://www.oakfarmrabbitsandrodents.co. ... exing.html (http://www.oakfarmrabbitsandrodents.co.uk/robo/sexing.html)

It is really important that you sex them as soon as possible as you could end up with babies from related parents if they are different sexes.

With regards to taming please see the following post:

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=6820 (http://www.hamstercentral.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=6820)

Keep us posted :)

Good Luck :)

Tammy x

helenf
05-15-2009, 03:31 AM
Thanks

I will sex them asap - I was home alone last night and didn't want to risk it, but tonight OH will be around to help me secure the room :D

She did try to sex them in the shop as she put them in the box - I'm just not convinced of her confidence.

I've had lots of hammies before, just not robos, and not for a few years, but I've read that taming post (looked at it the other day) and will get on to it straight away too. In the long-ago past I've had two syrian hamsters give birth shortly after getting them from the shop, so I would like to avoid it again.

eta: just got notification that my Multy has shipped, so that's one problem almost gone :)