PDA

View Full Version : whats my chances of having a pair staying together??

ellisyellis
05-05-2009, 03:41 AM
hi,

i have done all the reaserch i can into dwarf hams and am now thinking if i do everything 100% right, two of everything, right cage etc what is my chances of it working out ok and them not needing seperating?? it seems so many need to be seperated that i dont want to get a pair if its likely to go wrong. thanks

souffle
05-05-2009, 05:23 AM
It depends on the type you choose I think. With same sex pairs and in watching the forums over many years, I'd say that more than 60% need split up at some point.

ellisyellis
05-05-2009, 06:24 AM
hi souffle thanks. 60% is very high isnt it. im looking at getting a male pair of winter whites. are they all the same or are some dwarfs more prone to need seperating? i think robo's are to small for me but i havent ruled out chinese or campbells if they would be more likely to get on better?? i think a 60% chance of seperation is to high for me to do it as i would not wish to end up with seperating them.

its a shame so many times it doesnt work out as they look so cute all together. x

loyal_tree
05-05-2009, 03:39 PM
Campbell's have a higher chance of staying together than other dwarfs for some reason. It's always good to at least start with a pair of dwarfs and separate later if need be because they are social creatures, and sometimes just fall out.

I have a pair of Campbell's males (brothers) that have lived together since they were born about 6 months and are doing quite well. That could change over night, but out of all of my pairs/groups, I think they'll stick it out the longest.

ellisyellis
05-06-2009, 04:49 AM
hiya,

so if i get a pair of campbells instead of winter whites the chances may be better? thats interesting as i have not heard that before. im swinging between getting a pair or another syrian as i love the idea of them living together but im not keen on the fighting and needing seperating. i guess if theres a good chance they would need seperating then i shouldnt get dwarfs????

Rolo-n-Rocky
05-06-2009, 06:03 AM
I have a pair of 'bog standard' pet shop hamsters (I assume they're pet shop - I rescued them) which I think are Campbells or some sort of cross.

When I got them we were informed they fought and had to be separated so they're in separate cages (Rolo is missing a piece of ear which I assume is fight related).

They are both very happy living in cages next to each other and are great fun to watch when they come alive at night. If I were to choose to have another hammy when these go (never had a hammy before these) I would definitely get a russian dwarf again - even on their own they're good fun.

Rocky doesn't realise he's supposed to be nocturnal and is up most of the time but really lively at night whereas Rolo is usually in bed all day.

loyal_tree
05-06-2009, 04:25 PM
hiya,

so if i get a pair of campbells instead of winter whites the chances may be better? thats interesting as i have not heard that before. im swinging between getting a pair or another syrian as i love the idea of them living together but im not keen on the fighting and needing seperating. i guess if theres a good chance they would need seperating then i shouldnt get dwarfs????

Yes, Campbell's are usually together longer than WW's. You pretty much have to bet that at some point they will need separating, it's just a question of how long it lasts. Some do make it their whole lives, but my understanding is that it's fairly rare. If you don't want to have two cages, then go with a Syrian, it's your best bet from that angle. :)

Oh, and I was also going to mention that buying dwarfs from breeders will probably have a better chance of living together longer than pet store hamsters. Most pet store hammies are hybrids, a mix of Campbell's and WW's, so you don't know which personaility trait each will be more like if you know what I mean.

souffle
05-07-2009, 04:19 AM
Yes I'd say you have a better chance with Campbells than WW myself.

ellisyellis
05-07-2009, 10:08 AM
hi guys maybe dwarfs are just too risky then. sounds like its going to be another syrian. after all they are friendly and slower. just i would have liked a change but not a bad change! thanks x

danielle
05-07-2009, 10:29 AM
Why don't you get a single dwarf instead? They're sooo different from Syrians- it's lovely to have both! :D

ellisyellis
05-07-2009, 01:24 PM
hiya,

well actually i have been looking at a robo on the website of my local rescue and he is very cute! they also have two syrians but i realy have a thing about female hamsters. from my experience they bite. and hard aswell!!! i love my boys too much. think im always having boys now! the robo is a boy called ant and is already over a year old so early retirement age i guess. i will see but the longer this thread gets the more im thinking dwarf pairs is not the right thing for me as i dont like arguments and fighting and dont want it in my bedroom. i wish to live in harmony!!!!! xxxx :lol: