PDA

View Full Version : Playpen? What do you advise?

Rolo-n-Rocky
05-02-2009, 06:08 AM
Okay, so as some of you know we weren't expecting these little guys and so I have nothing prepared for them. When we first had them (before they went home but were never actually picked up and finally came back) we had them out as much as possible but they could only run around my hands.

I need to make them a run that they can't escape from that I can have them out to play in a bigger area. What do you suggest I use or how to do it? They are Russian Dwarves and one is really tiny!

loyal_tree
05-02-2009, 06:40 AM
A lot of people use a plastic bin, and basically set it up with different toys from their cages. Some use cardboard boxes similarly, though you'd have to watch them because they could chew right out when you're not looking! Some people just section off part of their house, maybe a hallway so they can run about. I plan to make a play bin for mine. I'll use different toys and substrate than what's in their cage to mix it up a bit.

Rolo-n-Rocky
05-02-2009, 08:12 AM
What could I section off a part of the room with? (I'm thinking what can't a tiny RD get out of!)

I'll have to see what I've got! :lol:

loyal_tree
05-02-2009, 10:23 PM
Anything really. Furniture or a box, etc. Even a blanket or something would work. They would have to be supervised, so you'd see him trying to get over or out most likely before he could escape. :)

roxie+oscar
05-29-2009, 05:54 AM
ive got a hamster playpen im thinking of selling the baby hamster won't be able to get out of the bars as there quite close together

Fidgetthefirst
12-22-2009, 02:17 AM
I'm making a really nice one out of wood, you can get pieces, that are tall enough and wide enough for my syrian for like £2-3 so i'll buy 5 pieces. And then ill just hammer some nails in, put toys in, voila! ;)

Hamster567
12-22-2009, 04:03 AM
Any material they can't get a foothold in, a plastic box or bin works well. I made the mistake of BUYING a wire playpen, which all my hamsters can climb out of with ease. :(

TheArctopus
12-22-2009, 05:30 AM
Yes those wire playpen things from p@h and the like, suck for hamsters, mine would be out within seconds, but they are good for guinea pigs :p I used to use a big "stacker" for my hamsters, basically, a big plastic box that can be stacked on top of others.

babyboos
12-22-2009, 05:54 AM
get a nice big storage tub you get some huge ones now very cheaply
underbed ones can sometimes be too low sided even though lots of floor space
try to get about 5 times + the length of the hamster high as even russian dwarves can jump quite high

wofunny
04-17-2010, 06:05 AM
i made one the otherday out of a under bed storage draw heres the link
http://www.hamstercentral.com/community/diy-do-yourself-hamster-projects/8051-smudges-playground.html. Good Luck :)