PDA

View Full Version : What gets their mouths watering?

Rolo-n-Rocky
05-01-2009, 01:54 PM
Okay, so in my shop I stock the Karlie range of small critter agility equipment and thought it would be mega fun to give Rocky and Rolo a go... (although Rolo may need to lose weight first!)

So what treats are likely to get them interested? I don't even know what they are or aren't allowed let alone what little tiny bits I could give them that wouldn't fill them up but would taste nice!

Thanks!

souffle
05-01-2009, 01:59 PM
Dwarfs shouldn't have sweet stuff due to their susceptability to diabetes so they would likely enjoy a tiny bit of veg such as brocolli, cauliflower, cucumber or a bit of egg, tofu or chciken is enjoyed. Only one at a time though and in fingernail sized bits. They usually enjoy just coming out for the fun of it and ours don't really want treats when out anyway. They just like to explore and trundle around.

Rolo-n-Rocky
05-01-2009, 02:09 PM
Thanks Souffle!

I didn't know about the sweet stuff and the diabetes so thanks for that. I'm hoping they'll enjoy doing it for the fun of coming out but obviously to begin with they're a little unsure about me as they don't really know me.

loyal_tree
05-01-2009, 03:44 PM
My dwarfs LOVE baby food. Most of them, like souffle said, don't want to eat when it's play time for some reason, but I have a couple of male Campbell's that will stop whatever they are doing to have some baby food! I feed flavors like carrot, mixed veggies, and most recently chicken with gravy believe it or not! They've also shown a lot of interest in tofu as well.

Rolo-n-Rocky
05-02-2009, 05:58 AM
Ooh thanks Loyal-Tree!

I'm sure many people think that clicker training hamsters is a daft idea but I figure it's worth a go (done it with the cat and dogs, I know rats can do it and I'm going to do it with the bunny so won't be any trouble to try it with the hammies!).

I don't know how old these fellas are or even what type they are (other than Russian Dwarves) - I'm very new to hamsters! When I get home today I'll try to get some piccies of them and put them up.

loyal_tree
05-02-2009, 06:37 AM
I read a little book once on how to train your hamster. You can train them using food, and I'm sure the clicker method would work too. In the book though, all they really taught was the hamster coming to it's name. Let us know how that goes! It can be done, and will go smoother the more you and the hamster trust each other.

Yes, please post some pics and we can help identify their colors for you. :D

Rolo-n-Rocky
05-02-2009, 01:12 PM
Thanks! Will try to get pictures... have given them tiny pieces of veg tonight from my hands which they're ok with but they're still reluctant to step onto my hand. Poor little guys have been moved about quite a bit so am taking it at their pace.

Teaching them to come to their name or another signal would be very handy so will definitely give it a go! Rocky's in a wire cage with tubes which makes finding him really quite awkward so getting him to come to his name would be helpful. I did consider doing them bin cages so I could stack them but Rocky loves his bars (he likes to climb them) so have thrown that idea out!

loyal_tree
05-02-2009, 10:26 PM
I made bin cages and used a 1/4 inch wire mesh to cover huge holes in the side of the bin for ventilation; the dwarfs climb the mesh like a rock wall! They love it. :)

Rolo-n-Rocky
05-06-2009, 03:36 AM
Thanks Loyal Tree.

I'm still playing with this idea after Rocky had an accident on his bars the other day (I found him with his foot stuck in the door) but for now he's remaining in his current cage until I get some more time and materials!

He's absolutely fine now though and is acting as though nothing happened.

Now they've got used to me, they come to me as soon as I open the door because they know it's playtime so the tubes aren't such an issue!

However - if he continues to wind the dog up through the bars then he will be moved to a bin cage sooner than he thinks!