PDA

View Full Version : Polymorph - 100% Non-Toxic Plastic

GreySyrian
12-20-2015, 07:10 AM
I recently brought this product called 'Polymorph', it comes in a bag of small plastic balls which when placed in boiling water turn transparent and stick together. It's mold-able plastic and thought it would be great for DIY hamster projects....!

The website says it's 100% Non-Toxic but as I'm unsure of anyone who's used it for pets- in particular our tiny sometimes chew addicted hamsters! Does anyone think it would be safe to use?

BLRTRONICS - Home (http://www.polymorphplastic.co.uk/)
Info on Polymorph - Top of Page
Video of use - Bottom of Page

velma
12-20-2015, 07:40 AM
I have absolutely no idea but I really want some to play with anyway :)

GreySyrian
12-20-2015, 07:43 AM
I have absolutely no idea but I really want some to play with anyway :)

It is really fun!!! ;)

cypher
12-20-2015, 08:37 AM
I remember a thread about this some time ago, pretty certain it's the same stuff & it does seem to be safe to use.
I quite fancy some to play with too!

greysome
12-21-2015, 04:34 AM
Ah--I've used it to make some shallow dishes for hammie treats and as a lining on an entrance cut out of hardware cloth to cover any possible sharp edges. I used it with Hazel Nut who is probably my biggest chewer though not necessarily obsessed with it (well, unless it's in an attempt to make a break for freedom) and she didn't try chewing on it.

Since you've played with it, you know it pretty quickly cools and can be difficult to mold/maneuver if you don't keep it at the right temp. I used it over warm water and soaked it again as it hardened. I stopped using it because the things I could make with it more quickly (that is, only requiring a few soaks in warm water to keep from hardening too much) were things like the shallow bowls for fresh food--which were so light they were easily knocked over if on a shelf with little to no effort on the hammie's part and the things I would LIKE to make with it--ie, possible tunnels etc--would simply take too much time and effort considering I could make said things much quicker with other materials. That said, if you do use it for your hammies, I would probably wait a couple of hours or more after finishing the product to make sure the plastic is completely hardened which will hopefully deter some particularly chewsome hammies (Hazel Nut ignored it as it was a "hard" plastic but she likes to chew soft plastic which is why, sadly, she cannot use a Carolina Storm wheel)

GreySyrian
12-21-2015, 04:44 AM
Ah--I've used it to make some shallow dishes for hammie treats and as a lining on an entrance cut out of hardware cloth to cover any possible sharp edges. I used it with Hazel Nut who is probably my biggest chewer though not necessarily obsessed with it (well, unless it's in an attempt to make a break for freedom) and she didn't try chewing on it.

Since you've played with it, you know it pretty quickly cools and can be difficult to mold/maneuver if you don't keep it at the right temp. I used it over warm water and soaked it again as it hardened. I stopped using it because the things I could make with it more quickly (that is, only requiring a few soaks in warm water to keep from hardening too much) were things like the shallow bowls for fresh food--which were so light they were easily knocked over if on a shelf with little to no effort on the hammie's part and the things I would LIKE to make with it--ie, possible tunnels etc--would simply take too much time and effort considering I could make said things much quicker with other materials. That said, if you do use it for your hammies, I would probably wait a couple of hours or more after finishing the product to make sure the plastic is completely hardened which will hopefully deter some particularly chewsome hammies (Hazel Nut ignored it as it was a "hard" plastic but she likes to chew soft plastic which is why, sadly, she cannot use a Carolina Storm wheel)

Thanks for the response :) I wouldn't say my hamster a chewer but she will have a good bite at anything new which is why I wanted to know if it was safe should she do this. It does hardened really quickly so i'd struggle to make anything big but was hoping to make things such as water bottle stands and find some other way to weigh it down!