PDA

View Full Version : Please help

Katlin10
12-13-2015, 10:21 AM
I'm planning on getting a hamster and i want to use homemade bedding. How long can homemade bedding last before i actually use it. I would like to stock up on it, before i get my hamster

velma
12-13-2015, 01:42 PM
I've not used homemade bedding. I've watched a couple of videos on YouTube and to be honest it looks very time consuming to make enough and I think could work out expensive. It takes quite a bit of substrate to fill a decent sized cage. And some of the homemade ones look a bit soft. You don't want anything hard or scratchy obviously but it's better if it can hold a shape when burrowed into. But nesting material is something you don't need to buy. Just rip up white, unscented toilet paper. I get the really cheap value one as it shreds nicely and I don't rio it too small as my hams have a nice time tearing it to the right size. And that is something you want lovely and soft for their nest :)
I'd be intrigued to hear if anyone else has made their substrate and what they thought of it?

Scarlett Empress
12-13-2015, 01:46 PM
I did have a go at making bedding from the Erins Animals video - never again! It took ages to make, ages to dry out - only made a small amount from one loo roll - and Smokey didn't want anything to do with it!

If you did make some, I can't see why it wouldn't keep for ages, as long as it was kept nice and dry.

Erestor
12-13-2015, 02:17 PM
I have also tried the Erins animals one, it took days to dry, and it came out very crispy and I threw it away! But maybe it depends on what you use, my friend makers hers and it worked fine :)

Fitch bedding is really soft like home made, is super cost effective and lasts ages!

freyashamsters
02-19-2016, 03:47 PM
To everyone saying that ErinsAnimals video is too time-consuming, she had actually uploaded a new one describing how to make paper-based bedding, taking 2-3hours at maximum. It's a really easy DIY and only requires paper, a pillowcase (which you don't plan to use in he future), a washing machine, and an oven/tumble dryer. Hope this helped :)