PDA

View Full Version : Advice please - seperated Robos now very subdued

Leescah
04-28-2009, 03:25 AM
Hi all! I'm new to this board (well technically not - been a lurker since getting my 2 Robo's... but new to posting anyway!) and although I realise there have been a few threads about this kind of thing, I wanted to start a new one in hope that it will attract some advice from people who went through similar situations.

Having seperated my 2 boys - Bert & Ernie - due to nighttime fighting (Bert bullied Ernie, despite my every effort to avoid it - scattering food, 2 of everything, large tank, etc etc) it now seems that both (but especially Ernie, the bullied one and also the smaller of the 2) have become very subdued.

They've been seperated for the best part of 2 weeks now and the past few night neither have made any appearance before I've gone to bed which is most unusual. I had to deliberately wake them both up last night to check that they weren't dead! Having checked them over, both seem in good health - bright eyes, clean coat and bums, no wounds, round tummys etc. They just seem.... sad. Ernie moreso, I held him last night and although he is quite tame anyway, he just sat in my hand, good as gold, not really attempting to jump out at all. He didn't seem scared or nervous - he just sat there, looking at me and around (and occassionally licking my finger lol).

It's heartbreaking to see, and I don't know whether to persever with the seperation in hope that they will grow used to the situation, or to attempt a re-introduction as I know at least one board member did successfully manage this before (I can't remember who though?). So I would be really grateful if anyone who has been in similar situations could let me know how things panned out for you? I just want what's best for these little guys!!

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions you might have!

souffle
05-01-2009, 01:05 PM
There is a section on Tammy's website about re-introducing robos which may help you or I am sure she will advise you if you PM her
http://www.oakfarmrabbitsandrodents.co. ... /main.html (http://www.oakfarmrabbitsandrodents.co.uk/robo/main.html)

loyal_tree
05-01-2009, 03:53 PM
I have not been in this situation before, but I have read that a lot of hams seem a bit depressed for a little while after they're separated. It does go away over time as they adjust. However, I am a full supporter of trying everything before leaving any dwarf alone.

I have read Tammy's website on re-introduction, and there are some really good tips on there. Perhaps you could give it a go if you want, and if all else fails you could separate again.

I have a pair of female Robo's who were not getting along for a couple of weeks and had some pretty serious fights and I thought for sure I would have to separate. Then they suddently seemed to be 'over it' apparently because now they are peachy keen again! :D

Leescah
05-12-2009, 03:33 AM
Thanks for the replies guys, I appreciate it!

So I did try re-introducing them and it was a no-go from the moment Bert laid eyes on Ernie - he really does NOT like his brother any more. It's so sad. :cry: anyway I immediately seperated them again and now they are living apart for good as far as I'm concerned.

The good news is that both hamsters have perked up a bit since my last post - they seem much happier now so that's a relief. They're both getting quite tame now as well which is such a delight - I'm not at the stage where either will climb onto my hand yet, but they don't put up as much of a fight when I try to pick them up and once I have them they're as good as gold - Bert even snuggled up in my dressing gown the other day and fell asleep on me!!! Photo attached! :mrgreen:

On another note, this morning I came down to find Ernie frantically licking his waterbottle as if he was trying to find where the water came out. I checked the bottle and for some reason the water didn't seem to be coming out properly (for godsake - it's a new bottle and I recently had to buy it since the last bottle leaked loads!!! I can't win!) so I gave the bottle a little squeeze to get some water out and it would seem little Ernie was REALLY thirsty since I ended up bottle feeding him the water for a good 5 minutes straight!!! I have never seen anything so cute, him tipping his head back lapping up the beads of water over and over, although at the same time it was pretty alarming since I know these animals don't need much water - so he must have been close to dehydration which is seriously worrying. So anyway for now I have put a bowl of water in with him and tonight I will have to buy a THIRD bottle in the hope that this is one juuuust right!

Who'd have thought something as simple as a bloomin' waterbottle would cause so much grief?! Has anyone else had any issues like this?

Tammy22
05-12-2009, 04:02 AM
Hiya,

your robos are beautiful and look so tame too - they are a credit to you :)

I am glad that they seem to have got used to being alone, obviously that was the best thing for your particular hamsters - and they prefer to be alone - which in turn makes them much tamer :)

With Roborovskis, as you rightly say, they do not seem to need as much water as other hamster species and they drink much less - but, one thing i have noticed is that even though they do not seem to drink as much, but when they need to drink, they really do need to drink!! It seems that other species of hamster can cope without water for longer periods of time than roborovskis can.

I completely understand that the water bottle was faulty and not letting water come out - i have had the same thing happen to me, but just be careful - it is always best to have a back up, either with a bowl (as you have done) or another water bottle just incase - as robos do not seem to be able to cope without water even for very short periods of time, even though they dont drink as much as other species - hope this makes sense :)

Tammy x

Leescah
05-12-2009, 07:22 AM
Hi Tammy - thanks for your reply, yes I do know exactly what you mean about Robo's needing water!! I think what I am going to do is switch back to the leaking waterbottle but keep an empty food bowl directly underneath it, so at least when the bottle does leak, the water will get caught by the bowl and will probably get slurped up quickly too.

I just could not believe how much water the little guy drank!! I was sat there squeezing droplet after droplet of water into his mouth and he was loving it - tipping his head back and sticking his little tongue out (ok is there anyone else out there who loves hamster tongues?! My Fiance thinks I'm insane - I think hammy tongues are just adorable!! Ahem :oops: ).

Toria
05-19-2009, 05:16 AM
ut (ok is there anyone else out there who loves hamster tongues?! My Fiance thinks I'm insane - I think hammy tongues are just adorable!! Ahem :oops: ).

My russian Dwarf hammy licks everything and sticks his tounge through air holes in anything i put him in. I love it's so cute :D

arikata
08-29-2009, 08:11 AM
With Roborovskis, as you rightly say, they do not seem to need as much water as other hamster species and they drink much less - but, one thing i have noticed is that even though they do not seem to drink as much, but when they need to drink, they really do need to drink!! It seems that other species of hamster can cope without water for longer periods of time than roborovskis can.

I actually saw a program which featured robos (you being a bigger robo enthusiast than me you probably caught it on the documentary about wildlife in China!!) which explained that they live in the desert so therefore go a long while without water. Maybe it's a bit of their insticts poking through to go aaages without and then lapping it up as if it's the last they will see for the year??xxx

arikata
08-29-2009, 08:13 AM
(BTW Tammy, just been looking at your website. I want to get back into breeding now because of you, it's been so long since I had a litter!!!!!!!!!!!)xxx