PDA

View Full Version : Wanted - 4 Roborovski hamsters- Yorkshire

Crazy fish
11-29-2015, 10:04 AM
Hello all I'm looking for 4 Roborovski hamsters to surprise my family with at xmas, iv ordered the house plus toys and should be with me next week.
I only ideally want to buy from a breeder and cut out the poorly run pet shops and pets at home as I'm unsure as to trust them and not sure il receive healthy animals or from the same family.

I am New to hamsters but we will provide a loving home and with no expense spared on the housing so all advice is welcome and I hope some one can help.

Regards

Ben

souffle
11-29-2015, 10:41 AM
There are very few Robo breeders around in the North. You could try the breeders list on the Northern Website but I haven't seen anyone with robo pups for quite a long time.

Crazy fish
11-29-2015, 10:51 AM
Iv emailed a few but had no reply and there websites seem to be very old and contact details out of date.
Can you reccomend a breeder that is still breeding and worth while contacting.

souffle
11-29-2015, 10:55 AM
I can't think of anyone that has any in the Northern club at all to be honest. At least not pups. There were a couple for sale at the Brockholes show but these came up from the south with a judge. There is a show at Mapplewell on 12th so you could contact the sales manager and ask if anyone has booked any in for sale maybe?

Crazy fish
11-29-2015, 01:49 PM
Ok thank you, I'm prepared to travel to get the right little family unit as I want these to be happy together so I think if I can purchase 4 from a breeder it will be a better option then purchasing from pets at home.

Any other breeders in the uk have Robo's?

souffle
11-29-2015, 02:48 PM
There are no guarantees even from a breeder that they will stay together. 4 is quite a large group and 4 same sex living together can result in issues especially as they mature. You always need to be prepared to separate and the possability that you may need 4 cages if they fight. A songle sex group of 4 is not a natural scenario and may not work out.
I don't know anyone with baby robos at the moment sorry even in the south. It isn't really breeding season but someone may po[ up with some if you keep trying.
Your cage needs to be pretty large for that many with 4 of everything in place.

racinghamster
12-01-2015, 08:33 AM
Crazy fish (Ben), I admire your stand but soufflé is right about four robos living together. There is no cast iron guarantee they will stay that way and it might be foolhardy to go head first into this if you have never kept robos before. They are fast and furious little monsters! What you might want to do is get a pair rather than four. A pair are neither likely, nor unlikely to stay forever together either, but your chances will be higher.

What cage have you ordered for them? Robos thrive in tank-style cages like the Zoozone 1 or 2 as they are not climbers but more run around loons that dig! Will the hamsters be solely yours or shared? It`s very important too that they always are together and not lifted out and separated. This alone could cause them to fight. If they have a large enough cage, robos really don`t need play pens or placed in other areas. They love their own space with a fast wheel/wheels to play on. :) And importantly, will there be any very young children involved? x

kittokitty
12-01-2015, 09:58 AM
4 in one cage is a really bad idea, even with 2 they usually end up needing to be seperated.