PDA

View Full Version : Hamster safe glue for bin cage

Tazius
11-04-2015, 06:48 PM
Hi guys,

So we've had Faolan in a deep, open top bin cage for a couple of weeks now and we want to maximize ventilation and make it so we can hang things like hammocks from the top.

I'm going to wire mesh the holes in the lid and do the same with some side panels. I want to put the mesh on the inside of the cage to try and ensure he doesn't chew the plastic but it's been recommended that we glue the mesh edges so they aren't sharp. Would anyone be able to recommend a type of glue/glue gun glue that is safe for Faolan?

cypher
11-04-2015, 11:27 PM
I have to admit I've never made a bin cage so I'm not sure but I would still be worried having mesh edges on the inside, he could probably easily chew the glue off exposing the sharp edges, maybe better to risk him chewing the plastic, is he a chewer or are you just being cautious?

WinnieTheHam
11-06-2015, 04:47 PM
I've glued the mesh on the outside of the bin cage - I used a glue gun. The hamster's can't reach the glue or the mesh from where I've placed it, the bins are quite tall (60cm).

I borrowed the glue gun from my brothers work so I wont be able to recommend one.

Vectis Hamstery
11-07-2015, 04:55 AM
I put the mesh panels on the inside of my bin cages to keep teeth away from the cut plastic edges which can be chewed in a bid for freedom. I cut the pointy bits of the mesh flush to remove sharp edges and have never glued any. I prefer to keep glue away from my hams. The only time I've had a problem with mesh was actually on a zoozone lid as my cheeky Syrian chewed through (yes, through) the edge of the mesh and bent a bit to make it pokey one night.

greysome
11-08-2015, 05:03 PM
I meshed the outside of bin since I wasn't worried about sharp edges (having used a combination of things to cut it but using a hotknife to go over it in the end for a softer finish). Glue I've used for the hammies are (acquarium) silicone glue (for a diy cage that I loved but unfortunately didn't last) and Elmer's but I can't find their particular brand for hot glue here. I can't remember the brand I used instead but so long as it's non-toxic, I would think you'd be safe. If you use silicone glue (which I wouldn't recommend exactly for this project) you'll need to let it cure for a full day or whatever the instructions say.