PDA

View Full Version : Rusting?

cookietiger
10-30-2015, 02:51 AM
So there is the tiniest little bit of Crumpet's cage which is rusting because the water bottle is a little too big for the bars it took a little bit of paint off. And now whenever I put the water bottle back after refilling water drips onto that bit and it is going a little rusty.
Does anyone know how I can stop it from rusting? My dad suggested this thing he has but I don't know if its pet safe. She can't get to it because the bottle is in the way but I just want to make extra sure it's safe. Any ideas please?

BrainGirl
10-30-2015, 04:21 AM
The rusty bits could flake and be sharp, plus it will weaken the metal. If she has an alternate cage she could stay in for a day then I would use any good rust paint on it and let it dry overnight. Once dry, it should be safe!

cypher
10-30-2015, 04:21 AM
I don't know if plastikote would work if the metal is already rusting but it might be worth a go, I would imagine most things used to treat rust could be toxic, don't know for sure but I wouldn't risk it.
Could you thread some card through the bars to protect the bit that's getting wet?

Hammy_
10-30-2015, 07:55 AM
Maybe you could put a little bit of cardboard or something spongey/ absorbent between the bars some how?

Or you could find a non toxic rust paint which I guess could be hard. then put her in an alternate bin cage over night?

This could be tricky to get around

BrainGirl
10-30-2015, 08:44 AM
I've looked into this before for a cage I had and I discovered that Rustoleum is considered to be safe once fully dry.

cypher
10-30-2015, 10:10 AM
That's useful to know, another thing to tuck away in my head for future reference!