PDA

View Full Version : Sleep well Louie

Bbhami
09-30-2015, 08:21 PM
This morning as I was giving my hams morning treats and checking on them I found Louie sleeping in his food bowl. I went to take a closer look and saw he was breathing his last. I held him and wrapped him in some tissue and spoke to him softly. He gasp for a couple of minutes before his breathing finally stopped. He was a little over 2yrs old.

I adopted Louie along his brother Huey and Dewey (RIP) last year around November. They were 1.5 yrs old when I got them, all were small and thin but Louie was the heaviest. He was housed with Huey but I separated them after they fell out. I enjoyed giving Louie treats as he was more food motivated than his brothers, but as he grew older he became grumpier. He lost some weight as he approached 2 yrs. We felt something was wrong with him internally but he was playing and eating as normal. We decided to let nature take its course on Louie, we didn't bring him to the vets fearing it might do more harm than good. We tried not to disturb him as much as he slept more and played less.

We expected him to go first but Dewey gave in a bit earlier. Now he will join Dewey on the other side of the bridge, pain free. Rest in peace dear Louie, we were happy to provide you a better home during your senior years. :cry::cry::cry:

cypher
09-30-2015, 10:09 PM
I'm so sorry Bbhami, I remember when you adopted the little guys, it's so sad that Louie has gone but he had a wonderful retirement with you & it sounds as though his life ended without suffering comforted by you, I'm sure he couldn't have asked for more.

Run free & play well at the bridge little Louie.

Artisans_uk
10-01-2015, 08:11 AM
So sorry to read this sad news, Bbhami. I am sure Louie was comforted with you being with him.

Play well at the bridge, Louie, along with your brother Dewey.
RIP Louie.

Josie
10-01-2015, 03:16 PM
Sorry to hear this Bbhami, play well at the bridge Louie :(

Thin Lizzy
10-01-2015, 07:33 PM
I remember when you adopted them.
So sad to read this about little Louie. Archie went the same way.
So great you were with him till the end and that he passed away surrounded by your love.
RIP Louie sweet dreams xxx
Sending you big hugs Bbhami XXX

Bbhami
10-01-2015, 08:23 PM
I've been expecting Louie to go sooner or later since he's been visibly slowing down, using only half of his cage. We sometimes panic when he won't wake up when were doing a roll call. We still feel sad over yesterday as we won't be seeing him rummage through his bedding for his buried seeds.

While mourning for Louie, we thought of a theory since their last brother Huey is still very active. Maybe, just maybe, their previous owner found a dead Huey while they were young and replaced him with a younger look-a-like so their kids won't cry. :)) just a funny thought cause Huey looks younger after their fur grew back.

Adopting them was my proudest decision even though I invited some heartache into my life. I was really inspired by this forum and the Pipsqueakery on considering adoption first. Now Louie's cage is empty, I may take a trip down to my local shelter to see if there's a lucky ham I can take home.

virtualkeith
10-01-2015, 08:31 PM
You did a wonderful thing Bbhami. It's also wonderful that you're thinking of doing it again. You are an inspiration. :)

Thin Lizzy
10-01-2015, 08:46 PM
You're a good person and you've got a lot of love and care to give to another ham when you're ready.

cypher
10-01-2015, 10:10 PM
I think it's lovely that you're thinking of taking another trip to the animal shelter, I'm sure Louie would thoroughly approve of another needy ham receiving the same love & care you gave him, it will be a very lucky ham if you find one.

fluffydd
10-09-2015, 11:24 AM
I'm sorry that Louie left you. I'm glad he had a lovely home with you.

DrKMcK
10-10-2015, 09:05 AM
Hello Bbhami. I am sorry you've lost Louie. Although we know when they are slowing down what will follow, it's still sad when they move on. {hugs} Play well at the Bridge Louie. :-(

souffle
10-15-2015, 05:44 AM
So sorry for your loss. x
Play well at the bridge Louie x