PDA

View Full Version : Benji Forrestt 12/8/14-5/10/15 RIP

BenjiFinleySonic
09-04-2015, 01:55 PM
Here's the story of my first furbaby, who i recently lost back in May. :(
Back in December of 2014, I went down to my local PetSmart, to pick out my first baby. I went over to the Syrian hamsters, and immediately fell in love with a long-haired black&white Syrian hamster. He was mine. I took him home, and couldn't look away. He loved the attention. He was a great baby. He had lots of love to give, and he loved being played with. And he especially loved his wheel&ball.
So, come January 29th 2015, I decided to get Benji a brother. Who is one of my current hamsters, Finley Piper, a tan&brown winter white dwarf. He warmed up right away as well, and just like his brother, loves attention. So after having both of them, I decided to buy a playpen for them. They loved playing together, and never fought, they even shared the same wheel and going in the same hut. They played together every day. I had the best babies around.
Until the beginning of May, Benji seemed a little off. He wasn't walking right, He'd stumble. It took me about 2 days to realize that Benji wasn't having any bowel movements. I immediately called the vet, and she told me to give him a little Miralax everyday, until he improves. I also looked online to see what was going on. To my knowledge, He had Wet Tail, But i didn't know until he passed. So I went to the store and got Miralax, and i set up the playpen and sat on the floor trying to get him to go, giving him plenty of water, holding him in a warm cloth., he seemed to like that. I sat on the floor with him, as hours went by. Literally trying everything I could, and gave him the Miralax every night, like the vet told me.
Little did i know, Benji wasn't eating. And i didn't know until the day of his passing, I picked him up, he was getting a cold body, and i could feel his little ribs. At that point I lost it. I knew there wasn't anything else i could do, and he was going to die. i couldn't handle it. He was my little baby. But that didn't stop my from being there for him.
On the day of his passing, I picked him up, and could feel him getting colder by the minute. So i got one of my tank tops and wrapped him up. and just held him close to me, for about an hour and a half. Holding him until he passed. But he wouldn't let go, and I'm sure he knew i was holding him, and didn't want to go in my hands. So i kept him wrapped up, and laid him back down in his cage, he wouldn't move anyway, he was just laying there.
Around 6 am, Mother's Day, 5/10/15, Benji Forrestt passed away. It broke my heart. I got a small box, and buried him in the back yard.
Benji Forrestt will always be my baby. He will continue to live in my heart. But now he's in the big hamster wheel in the sky. I'm glad he's not in pain anymore, but i do miss him like crazy.
**Thanks for reading his story**
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10204338338191585&set=a.10204262262969752.1073741855.1023463452&type=3&theater

Thin Lizzy
09-06-2015, 08:45 PM
Hello and Welcome to HC.
Sorry to hear of your loss.
You mentioned in your post that you let Benji a syrian hamster play with your dwarf hamster, syrian hamsters are solitary and shouldn't be put with any other hamsters.
Dwarf hamsters can be kept in pairs of the same sex but, only if you got them at the same time.
Should you get another hamster, you will need to buy another cage.
This forum has some really great advice about dwarfs and syrians and you'll find members happy to help you with anything.
It's never easy losing a hamster but, you were with Benji to the end and that'll been a comfort to him.

cypher
09-06-2015, 10:45 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss, your little one was clearly very much loved & you did your very best to care for & comfort him.
It's always so hard to lose them, I'm sure you will miss him very much but he will live forever in your heart, cherish the memories.

As Lizzy says hamster should never be put together, russian dwarfs & robos can be kept in same sex sibling pairs but hamsters shouldn't be introduced to each other later in life & different species should never be put together, you were lucky that your two didn't fight but should you decide to get another hamster in future please take care, keep them apart or they may well fight resulting in serious injury or worse.

souffle
09-08-2015, 09:08 AM
I am so sorry for your loss.
Play well at the bridge Benji x

ANGELBABIES
09-08-2015, 12:58 PM
Run free at the bridge little Benji xx