PDA

View Full Version : WWR taming question

Katty_Sheldon
03-27-2009, 03:58 AM
Hello
I have a WWR, two months old, no idea if its male of female. He was bought from a pet shop a week and a half ago. He likes his cage, runs in the wheel and chews on his apple branches, pees&poops in his house (will try potty training soon). No tubes for him to hide in, tissue with my scent is being taken as bed material:).
He takes food from my hand, and he lets me pet him when he is eating, but then he turns around and he starts biting (no blood but it is a real bite!). I always let him see my hand before i start petting him. I think it might be the cage rage.
So now he is eating food that i offer him from my hand (in the cage), do you think its time that i try to scoop him in a toilet roll (has it in his cage already a few days to get to know it, but doesnt try to eat it, haha) and put him on a towel between my legs? I plan to do this in a bath tub so that he wouldnt run away. Do you think i should try the tunnel-hand thing with him, does it work also with dwarfs? Use the gloves since he is biting in the cage?
Thank you for the much needed advice, im really trying to be paitent with him and just wondering when is the right time to do the out-of-the-cage-hands thing.
Thanks again!

PS it really helped that i knew in advance that young WWR have sometimes the biting habit, so i didnt get all panicky when it happened first time.

Katty_Sheldon
03-29-2009, 03:11 PM
Hi..so ill post updates to this in case someone has a similar problem in the future. I took Sheldon to the bathtub as usually with his cage open, and i just scooped him in one bigger toilet paper roll. He got in it instantly and then i took it with both hands to my lap covered with a clean towel. He got out and started sniffing and exploring, did not touch any food i put around just in case:D He bit my gloves, but did not seem scared of them. I even held him in both of my hands for a while! Then i scooped him back in the roll and placed him in the cage. He sniffed around it for a few seconds and then went to his house:)
Also he started to pee and sleep in one corner of the cage right next to the wheel, but he sleeps also in his house... im really interested how that evolves:D

souffle
04-01-2009, 05:24 AM
Sounds like you are making good progress. I would keep using the loo roll tube to get him out. We find our WW always investigate you with their teeth! Thenever bite down but will lick and hold your skin in their mouth. Well done onthe taming

Katty_Sheldon
04-01-2009, 12:49 PM
Hi, thanks for the reply:)
Yes, he seems now more curious then scared and when i take him back to the cage he stays around for a while all excited. I still handle him with gloves, because its easer for me to feel confident... ill stay with the roll, he seems to like it:D
I even held him in both hands for a while, but i still cant go out of bathtub, im too scared he will run away...