PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. Archie

Thin Lizzy
08-14-2015, 11:22 PM
It breaks my heart writing this but, Archie my little Prince Charming died yesterday morning.
I woke to find him lying in his cage breathing very fast. I had over an hour till the vet opened to get an emergency appointment so, I stayed by his side stroking him, comforting him and speaking to him.

Archie passed away just before 9am.
Words cannot express how I feel, it's never easy saying goodbye,
Calling the vet was the hardest call I've had to make and could hardly speak through the tears and emotions,
I don't have a garden where I live and I asked the vet if I could bring Archie to them so he could be cremated. I spent ages stroking him before placing him in a little white box lined with loads of tissues and kissed him before covering him more with more.
Somehow, I managed to keep it together in the taxi journey but, broke down outside the vets, the vet then took him away.

Archie was born on 12th May 2013 and died on 14th August 2015 making him 2 Years and 3 Months old. He was such a sweetheart and my little prince charming who never bit me once, He was such a happy, loving, friendly laid back ham.

We went through so much together, he brought so much happiness and love into my life and he will be forever loved and missed.

Sweet Dreams My little Prince Charming
Your mom xxxx

cypher
08-14-2015, 11:28 PM
I'm so very sorry Lizzy, I know how much Archie meant to you, you had such a wonderful bond & he had a long & happy life with you, I do understand just how hard his loss must be for you & how much you will miss your loving little Prince Charming.
No words can really make this time easier for you but I'll be thinking of you *hugs*.
He will have appreciated all the love & care you gave him throughout his life until the very end so very much. He knew you were there & how much you cared for him, easing his way to the bridge.

Run free & play well at the bridge Archie.

Thin Lizzy
08-14-2015, 11:39 PM
Thank you Cypher, I can't stop crying, miss him so much.

Piebald
08-14-2015, 11:50 PM
Oh Lizzy I'm so sorry. What a shock. I am crying too I know how much he meant to you, and you to him. I'm glad for the time you had together and I know you will always hold him close to your heart. RIP Archie. You were a bright moment. Play well at the bridge. Hugs Lizzy, a thousand hugs. xx :(

cypher
08-14-2015, 11:55 PM
Let yourself cry & grieve Lizzy, it's a long & lonely process coming to terms with the loss of our loved ones, take comfort in Twinkle, cherish the memories & remember we're here for you if you need us *more hugs*.

ANGELBABIES
08-15-2015, 12:06 AM
I am so sorry Lizzy, your beautiful little boy is flown to the bridge. It is hard now, and will be for sometime, but never forget you gave him a wonderful life. He will not want you to be so sad all the time. He lived his life to the full, spread that true happiness and joy that only an animal can do. Does not matter that he was only a hamster as some people outside this forum would say. We know what these little fluffs are capable of. He remains in your life and in your heart forever, for you both have an unbreakable bond, until one day you will see him again, and smooch him with more kisses. Run free at the bridge little Archie - we will all miss you xxx

Pebbles82
08-15-2015, 12:08 AM
A thousand hugs from me too. Look after yourself - friends can help at times like this.

JBH316
08-15-2015, 12:34 AM
I am so sorry to hear your sad news - sleep tight Archie :(

racinghamster
08-15-2015, 01:14 AM
Gutted for you Lizzy. :( Archie was one of those HC hamster that members `get to know` during their life and we never think they are going to leave us. He`s going to be with you again soon, so take heart. Emotions always show how much a hamster was loved and cherished and we have all been there. It`s like a little slice of life has been removed too suddenly and it hurts like hell.

Rest soundly Archie, you are always in our hearts. x

Shannonmcn
08-15-2015, 01:57 AM
I'm so sorry Thin Lizzy :( nobody could have cared for little Archie more than you, he had a wonderful life being so loved. It's heartbreaking to lose such a special little guy but soon you'll be able remember that he had just the happiest life with you and that's the important part. Take care of yourself x

BluerayDarkes
08-15-2015, 02:04 AM
This is sad news to hear that he passed, but you did love him very much. Play well at the bridge Archie *hugs you* x

Bec
08-15-2015, 02:48 AM
Awww ThinLizzy.....I am so sorry for your loss. Its always very heartbreaking and take comfort that you gave him the best life possible. Hope you are ok x

Sleep tight little Archie xx

Heather
08-15-2015, 04:53 AM
Night night little Archie :( xxx

Coco61
08-15-2015, 06:02 AM
Oh no Lizzie. I logged in and saw this thread title and realised at once how deep your grief would be. If I am upset at reading your beautiful tribute to your much cherished Archie, you will feel inconsolable right now. Time always heals but then you will be left with memories of a lovely gentle ham who has a permanent place in your heart. Sleep well little Archie, be at peace and send peace to your Mum. *hugs*to you Lizzie.

fluffybumolivia
08-15-2015, 06:44 AM
I'm so sorry for your loss Lizzy, it's difficult but you have to remember the happy life you gave Archie and that you will meet again one day. Sending hugs. Play freely little one xxx

Thin Lizzy
08-15-2015, 07:46 AM
Thank you so much for your lovely messages and kindness. So glad I have this forum to express myself and know that you understand.
Twinkle has been such a support, earlier today she was clinging onto the cage door, so I opened it and she jumped onto my dressing gown where she stayed for half an hour. Usually after 5 minutes she wants away but, we sat on the sofa and we had a good chat and all the time she snuggled into my dressing gown.

racinghamster
08-15-2015, 08:59 AM
I`m pleased Twinkle is comforting you through Lizzy. x

cypher
08-15-2015, 09:27 AM
Bless your beautiful girl, I'm sure she knew you needed her comfort & so glad you have her to help you through.

katmick
08-15-2015, 11:03 AM
I am so so sorry for your loss Lizzie,I can't believe your sweetest prince is gone over to the rainbowbridge..
I want you to know that you have made many friends here on HC and Archie made a lot of fans who really cared about him through his proud mama talking..Rest in peace sweet Archie,and to you Lizzie lots of hugs..I feel so sad for u now....xx

Thin Lizzy
08-16-2015, 05:34 AM
It's been an emotional couple of days since Archie died, I decided to clean out his cage as he lived in my living room and have been finding it hard seeing his cage but I couldn't do it, I'm just not ready to do it. Even last night, I found myself putting a piece of roast chicken in his cage and then realising he's gone.

MaryBonus
08-16-2015, 06:32 AM
I am so sorry for your loss, Lizzy. Run free, Archie. Hugs.

Nancy's Hamsters
08-16-2015, 06:50 AM
With death comes new life Lizzy, As Archie made his way to the next place of his long life little Amissa will soon bring in life to this world. I will pray and ask for the Lord to comfort your heart and help shorten the sorrows of losing a great beloved friend Prince Archie.

RIP little man you lived a great life and you will be missed, but you will live on forever in our happy memories of you.

HarryHamster
08-16-2015, 09:06 AM
I am sorry for your loss, he will always be watching over you until you meet again. Sending you lots of hugs. He was a very special boy, remember the best times with Archie.

Run and play free at the bridge Archie, you will always be loved xx

Emma_
08-16-2015, 09:11 AM
I am so sorry for your loss Lizzy, R.I.P Archie x

katmick
08-16-2015, 11:09 AM
I know what you mean Lizzie...When my Happy Feet passed away,I couldn't clean out her cage for few weeks..
I understand why it is important to u still have a piece of Archie there in form of his home and toys,and that is ok..
Take your time at your own pace and take comfort from your little girl,who is there for you to talk the hamster talk with you...Lots of hugs,Katmick xx

Pebbles82
08-16-2015, 11:12 AM
Sometimes it can help to put something out of sight for now and deal with clearing it out later. Could you put the cage in another room or somewhere out of sight and then when you feel ready, start to clear it. That way you don't have the constant reminder in front of you but don't feel you have to deal with changing it just yet.

Thin Lizzy
08-16-2015, 12:09 PM
Thank you for your beautiful messages.
Serendipity, I've put Archie's cage at the side of my sofa so I'm not constantly seeing it whenever I walk in.
Thank you Katmick.

Piebald
08-16-2015, 11:58 PM
Ah I get that Lizzy, the little reminders. They're everywhere. I'm not sure if it's sadder to have them there, or when they start to fade. Take a picture of the empty cage? I took a picture of my kitty's paw prints in her litter box after she passed. And I didn't clean it for ages so as not to disturb them (there was no potty in it). xx

Nienna
08-17-2015, 11:56 AM
Oh, no! I'm so sorry, Thin Lizzy. Many hugs for you. :(

virtualkeith
08-17-2015, 01:33 PM
Lizzy, I am so sorry to read about your loss. I welled up reading your post. It is so evident how much you love Archie. I'm sure you gave him a home filled with love.

Josie
08-17-2015, 02:56 PM
So sorry for your loss Thin Lizzy, loads of hugs for you and Archie, play well at the bridge beautiful little boy, you are in our thoughts now and for always xxxxx

Do not worry about me when I am gone and on the other side. Life is Eternal.

Thin Lizzy
08-17-2015, 06:19 PM
Today's been a nightmare, there's a reason I hate Mondays, I went onto the VIP section on the P@H website to update the details on Archie's death and I ended up sobbing because if I edited it, it would erase his details for good. I'm just not ready to let go. I really thought I had cried myself dry.

cypher
08-17-2015, 11:04 PM
Oh Lizzy, it's still very early days, of course you're not ready yet, it all takes time, try to accept that & just go with it, do what feels right when it feels right, don't try to rush the process or expect too much of yourself.
You're not alone, 3 weeks on & it still doesn't take much to set me off again, it just shows how much you love your Prince but with time it will get easier & the memories will be the happy ones *hugs*.

Pebbles82
08-18-2015, 01:48 AM
My rule over things like that is - if it's too hard, don't do it - time is needed - hugs.

Thin Lizzy
08-18-2015, 07:59 AM
Thank you Cypher and Serendipity.

RubyDG
08-18-2015, 08:20 AM
Oh no Lizzy! :( I just saw this thread, I'm so sorry about Archie, he was such a little trooper. I don't think there are any words that could express the hole he's left behind. He was a very loved little Prince who had the best Mom in the world.

Thin Lizzy
08-18-2015, 08:35 AM
Thank you Ruby, he was such a big part of my life and on Friday, I had that gut feeling when I saw him that I was going to lose him. I'm just glad I was with him to the end.
We had been through so much. He was a little fighter.

RubyDG
08-18-2015, 08:44 AM
It's little comfort but like you said at least you were there with him until the very end. He had a great life with you, you both made each other happy and that's a wonderful thing.

Bbhami
08-19-2015, 08:57 AM
Sending my virtual hugs to you ThinLizzy. They maybe small but they occupy a big space in our hearts. Rest in peace Archie.

vallsfantova
08-19-2015, 12:56 PM
Bless you and Bless Archie

Thin Lizzy
08-22-2015, 02:20 AM
Friday evening, I cleaned out Archie's cage and had a good cry. I left it a week and even though the pain has eased, I still get emotional.
I kept all his favourite toys and I'm going to do a Memory Box for him. Like Bbhami said 'they occupy a big space in our hearts' and that is so true. It's only right my little Prince Charming has a special box.

RubyDG
08-22-2015, 02:27 AM
It's okay to be emotional and it's good to cry, it helps get everything out so you can start to heal. I think a memory box is a great idea Lizzy. You could get some of your favorite photo's printed out and put them in there too. We're all sending you big virtual hugs!

Thin Lizzy
08-22-2015, 02:34 AM
Thanks Ruby! I was thinking of getting a cushion done with his pic on it, Asda do that and it's a good sized cushion, they also do mugs, keyrings, place mats etc.
There's also a shop in the shopping centre that does T-shirts.

WoodFamily2012
08-22-2015, 02:49 AM
Sorry for your loss :(
You cared for him the best any person could and he had an amazing 2 years, im glad you were there to say goodbye!

RubyDG
08-22-2015, 03:13 AM
Oooh I didn't know Asda did that! Personally I think I'd go for the cushion :)

Shannonmcn
08-22-2015, 04:25 AM
I think a cushion is a lovely idea. Something snuggleable

Coco61
08-22-2015, 04:36 AM
A memory box sounds a lovely idea. Those mementoes by Asda are a great idea. Cushion to hug, a mug if you have converted to tea drinking?

cypher
08-22-2015, 06:48 AM
A cushion you can cuddle up with sounds like a lovely idea Lizzy, key rings are nice just as something you can keep in your pocket, a memory box with some favourite things is always nice too.

Thin Lizzy
08-23-2015, 05:10 AM
Well I'll keep you informed, Archie will be forever in my heart. As you know, he had such an impact on my life so losing him has been very difficult but, the support I've received from you guys has been so great. I'm so glad I joined HC.

DrKMcK
09-05-2015, 07:55 PM
Hello Thin Lizzy. I have been off HC for a while and just saw this today. I have always loved Archie's name since I was a fan of the Archie comics way back when. It tickled me when I first saw his name. I know this has to be very hard even now, because even though I have lost many little furries through the years it's still hard when one passes. My Ted E. Bear was a hurtful ham to lose, and, like you, it took a while before I could handle cleaning his cage. It does feel so final putting a hammy's things away. I hope things are better for you now. {hugs} Play well at the Rainbow Bridge Archie. :-(

Thin Lizzy
09-06-2015, 01:31 AM
Thank you DrK, even though it's been just over 3 weeks, I still get emotional. Where his cage used to be is a big empty space and even a couple of days ago I got a couple of strawberries out the fridge and remembering I only needed one. Having Twinkle has helped with the grief.
I so agree, I've had several hams over the years and it's so difficult when one passes. They have such a huge impact in your life and when they go they leave a huge gap.

souffle
09-08-2015, 09:07 AM
So very sorry for your loss. He was so much loved.
Play well at the bridge Archie xx

herbi7
09-23-2015, 03:01 PM
Thin lizzy, I've been away and not using the computer for most of the summer and I have only just caught up with this thread. I'm so sorry about Archie, I know how much you loved him and you cared for him so carefully. He was a lucky little hamster to have you as his mum and I am so sorry for your loss. Hugs x x

Thin Lizzy
09-23-2015, 08:00 PM
Thanks Herbi, he died at home with me by his side, still get emotional, reading your post made me have a little cry, having Twinkle has helped so much and well she's been a little rascal and has been getting spoilt
rotten.

herbi7
09-24-2015, 02:23 AM
Ah, it keeps hurting for ages doesn't it when u lose a little furry friend. It's a year since my cat died now and I was chatting to a neighbor whose kittens I looked after while she was on hol and found I was still getting teary after all this time. Haha I bet twinkle is making the most of your attention, what a pickle. Did she show signs of missing Archie?

Thin Lizzy
09-24-2015, 06:34 AM
Twinkle did become quite clingy after Archie died, I was in constant tears and I was telling her that Archie had gone over the bridge and she sat there listening and she put both front paws on my hand as I cried.
Bless her! A couple of days after, I opened her cage door and she jumped onto me, onto my dressing gown and clung tight. So we sat on the sofa, she was comfy on my gown and I just stroked her and talked to her for almost half an hour. That's the longest she's stayed still. There's been several times since then. She loves her cuddles and chat.
Did you get another cat?

Artisans_uk
09-24-2015, 08:19 PM
Lizzy, I was so sad to read this thread yesterday and I'm sorry my condolences come several weeks later. Your Archie was such a star and will always be in the hearts of so many HC members.
You and Archie had each other for so a long time, what a special relationship you had and so many memories to remember him by. I think the cushion sounds like a fantastic idea, the only issue being choosing which picture to use, unless of course you already have a favourite photo.
It's good to know that Twinkle is there with you and that you are having cuddles and chats with her, I'm sure she misses your handsome Prince Charming too.

RIP Archie, run free at the bridge and thank you for being such a gorgeous ham. You will be greatly missed. :'(

Hugs for you from me, the girls and Henry.

Thin Lizzy
09-25-2015, 07:12 PM
Thank you Artisans for your lovely post. I'm still deciding on what pic to use of Archie, I got a polka dot red & white box and put a few of his favourite things in it, a little reminder of his charming character. I couldn't let another ham have them.

Artisans_uk
09-25-2015, 10:16 PM
Thank you Artisans for your lovely post. I'm still deciding on what pic to use of Archie, I got a polka dot red & white box and put a few of his favourite things in it, a little reminder of his charming character. I couldn't let another ham have them.

That's a lovely idea, Lizzy to have a memory box with some of Archie's favourite things.

herbi7
09-27-2015, 02:08 PM
Twinkle did become quite clingy after Archie died, I was in constant tears and I was telling her that Archie had gone over the bridge and she sat there listening and she put both front paws on my hand as I cried.
Bless her! A couple of days after, I opened her cage door and she jumped onto me, onto my dressing gown and clung tight. So we sat on the sofa, she was comfy on my gown and I just stroked her and talked to her for almost half an hour. That's the longest she's stayed still. There's been several times since then. She loves her cuddles and chat.
Did you get another cat?

Ah, that's lovely. They are sensitive to our feelings aren't they. I'm glad she has a cuddly side, cuddles r so therapeutic. No I have been stern with myself and didn't get another cat although I would have loved to. Willow takes enough of my attention and energy at the moment! I always read the cat ads on gumtree tho!

Thin Lizzy
09-28-2015, 09:01 PM
Yes cuddles are therapeutic. At times like this it's appreciated more and vice versa.

LancashireLass
10-07-2015, 02:25 PM
Hi Thin Lizzy im so sorry for not replying sooner I'm so sorry to hear about Archie, I lost my baby Willow this week and it's heartbreaking. I pretty sure that Archie is with Willow playing at the Rainbow Bridge and she is sharing her food that I made sure she took with her.

Love j xxxx

Thin Lizzy
10-07-2015, 07:58 PM
Thanks LL, I cried hearing about your little Willow, You gave me a nice image of Willow taking her food and sharing it with Archie. He was my little prince charming and Willow was your little princess. Grief does ease over time, remember you're not alone Lancashirelass, this forum has helped me so much and we're here for you. XXX

fluffydd
10-09-2015, 11:16 AM
I'm so sorry that Archie left you x x It's so hard when our little friends leave us

lady jocardi
10-11-2015, 03:38 PM
so very sorry I have not seen this sooner. Archie was a lovely little fella. RIP little fluff.
Hugs to you Thin Lizzy xx