PDA

View Full Version : IM worried

prutis
08-11-2015, 01:08 AM
Im abit worried my hamster is acting abit sluggish sleeping alot and after i wake him up abit he will get a bit energetic but then go somewhere else and sleep is this just a personality or is there something wrong

Thin Lizzy
08-12-2015, 01:59 AM
Hamsters don't like being woken up.
How old is he?

prutis
08-12-2015, 02:10 AM
4 months 24 days

hammy2
08-12-2015, 02:47 AM
Is this the same hamster you think might be pregnant? You shouldn't wake hamsters up they don't like it. He/she should wake up in their own time. What cage do you have?

racinghamster
08-12-2015, 06:49 AM
Sorry, I don`t know your circumstances but waking up a hamster, placing it with a strange hamster and not allowing it a sensible routine, mainly, leaving him alone and only attempting a small amount of handling on his terms, would be best. Stress can make a hamster ill. My best advice would be change what you are doing and look at life from his point of view. He`s a small animal with little or no appetite for disturbance. x

Thin Lizzy
08-13-2015, 05:37 AM
Hey Prutis,
Every hamster is different, some are very active and some are very lazy.
To avoid anymore stress, I would use the tissue trick, this is good for getting your hamster familiar with your smell. Put some tissues or toilet paper up your sleeve and leave for a couple of hours then put in his cage. Curiosity will have him sniffing at him, even better if he uses it in his bedding. Talk softly and quietly to him everytime you're near his cage. Praise him if he comes out and, tell him what a good boy he is. Leave him a treat. In time he will gain confidence with recognizing your smell and voice.
It's important to go slowly, and please don't wake him up if he's sleeping. Be patient and in time you'll bond.

winterwhite1510
08-13-2015, 05:42 AM
hi,
I wouldn't wake him/her up they are just like humans and like their sleep haha. And I wouldn't worry about them sleeping lots they may only come out about 1-2am when you are most likely asleep. But if you are really getting worried about your hammy then make sure to get help from your vet:)