PDA

View Full Version : Tunnel Idea?

cookietiger
08-10-2015, 08:21 AM
So I had this idea that I could buy some plastic drain pipes (like a full tube not a half pipe type thing) to use as tunnels for my Syrian instead of buying other tubes because I thought it might be cheaper and you could cut it to the right length and sand down any rough edges. Also some hamster tunnels are too small in diameter for Syrian's and I was thinking maybe drain pipes are a good size.
I haven't worked it out exactly yet but I thought it would be a cool idea to post here in case any other people thought it was good or wanted to point out flaws to my plan.
I don't know, maybe like plastic plumbing pipes are better... :-k

BrainGirl
08-10-2015, 08:44 AM
Are you thinking of the black, flexible drainage pipe known in the trade as "Big O"? I've thought that stuff would work too but be sure to get the one that is not perforated. There are two types;) However, I also don't like those flexible pipes, even the ones sold for pets, because their corrugated inner surface can't be easy to walk on!

If you have to have plastic, I would look at ABS or just do what I do and go to carpet store and ask for the cardboard tubes the carpets come rolled up on. You can get up to 6" diameter though most are in the 3" range. Perfect size for Syrians, you can cut them to size, they're safe to chew, and best of all...they're FREE!

For my chinchillas I buy Sonotube, available in some pretty spectacularly huge sizes. You can cut holes in those and turn them into all kinds of things and they're very sturdy;) When they're too wrecked to be used any longer you can either recycle them or burn them if you have a fireplace.

angelham
08-10-2015, 08:46 AM
I've always thought the regular tubes are way too small, my adult female would definitely get stuck

This does sound like a really good idea :) plumbing pipes wouldn't take up as much room and look perfect size wise. If you do it post pics!!

racinghamster
08-10-2015, 09:30 AM
I think this is a good idea and looking in the plumbing section of a DIY store could reap rewards. ;) Syrians usually do better with wider tubes made for rats, so something around at least four inches in diameter? And yes, you could saw plastic piping with a hacksaw and sand any edges afterwards if the pipe was sold too long. x

Scarlett Empress
08-10-2015, 09:40 AM
My girl's got some lengths of white square plastic drainpipe from Wickes, she loves it! I like the square stuff because when I put it on the floor, it doesn't roll about and she likes running along the top of it too. It's quite easy to cut and sand.