PDA

View Full Version : are they fighting

fury critterz
03-21-2009, 02:35 PM
hi i'm new ere also new to owning 2 dwarf russian hamsters they are about 4-8 weeks old both males and both from the same litter we only got them today anyway i'm getting bit worried as i've read and been told they like 2 live in pairs & the same sex however they've been doin a bit of squabling is this 2 deterime who's the dominte 1 would really appreciate some advice from some that own dwarfs living together

thnx sue

__Sara__
03-21-2009, 04:52 PM
Most dwarfs live alone happily. If you see any blood then they need to be seperated immidiatly. Do you have 2 of everything? Food dish, hidey house, wheels etc... ? and a spare cage? I split mine up because one wasnt letting the other do anything without attacking her. She didnt draw any blood but i didnt think it was fair on the less dominant one.

Bunsey
03-22-2009, 12:07 PM
yes it's normal for them to fight, but like Sara said, you need to keep an eye out for any wounds or if one of them is stopping the other one from eating or generally making their life a misery. You must get 2 wheels for them.

mitha
04-02-2009, 02:31 AM
i have the same problem too..
2 of my 3 dwarf campbell hamster keep fighting each other (they're from the same litter..)
when they're fighting,,they're making some loud noise..
well,,i see no blood..but there's 1 or 2 little red skins..
i kinda feel sad when they're fighting..

is it means that i have to separate them into a different cage?
should i housing each of my hamsters into a different cage?

thnx b4..

souffle
04-02-2009, 11:33 AM
If they are ripping each others fur out and leaving red patches they are fighting seriously. I would advise you to separate them into individual cages or at least separate one of the fighters off. The other two may start or may stay together. Three tends to be a crowd with dwarfs especially if the cage is too small. You will feel better if you are not so worried about them hurting each other too.