PDA

View Full Version : Can't stop crying :(

MrsHamHam
07-30-2015, 06:14 AM
Our little hamster died last night and I feel so sad :cry: I feel like we've lost a little member of our family.

We had him for just over a year and he was about 6 months when we got him.

He was such a friendly little thing and I loved him to bits even though he was only small. We used to let him out in our bathroom and hallway and he would just follow me around waiting for me to pick him up.

I feel so pathetic crying so much over 'just a hamster' - I had to book a day off work because I didn't feel like I could go in.

We buried him last night and I had to get my BF to clean out his cage and put away all his toys. Every time I look at them I just think of his little face and cry again.

RIP little Ham Ham :( xx

Fluffagrams
07-30-2015, 06:29 AM
I feel so pathetic crying so much over 'just a hamster' - I had to book a day off work because I didn't feel like I could go in.

They're never 'just a hamster' and the only people who think that they don't mean as much as other types of pets probably don't know about how much joy that they can bring to their owner's lives. HamHam was a member of your family and it's normal to feel sad when they're gone.

I'm sorry that your lovely little hamster has gone over to the bridge, hold on to your happy memories with him and cherish them and eventually you'll find yourself smiling when you think of all the little things that he used to do.

souffle
07-30-2015, 06:42 AM
I am so sorry for your loss. He was so much loved and it is always hard to lose a heartham x
He will be in your heart forever. Play well at the bridge Ham Ham xx

Pebbles82
07-30-2015, 07:19 AM
I'm glad you could share it with us - because we understand. I cried when our hamster died many years ago and I was in my twenties. And no people don't realise hamsters can be a loved pet and have bonded with you. Ours is part of our family too. Hugs for you. They have such short lives but bring such joy. At least he didn't have a long slow illness - I know that isn't much consolation but he is now playing free.

candice clews
07-30-2015, 07:29 AM
Rip to your hamster x sending hugs to you! X

peasypea
07-30-2015, 07:33 AM
A hamster has just as much of a hold on our hearts as any other animal. You are allowed to be upset! Sorry for your loss :(

MrsHamHam
07-30-2015, 08:08 AM
Thank you everyone.

That is one thing I'm thankful for - he went very suddenly so I just hope it was all quite quick and pain-free for him. I found him snuggled up in his house in his usual sleeping position. I hope he just slipped away :( I think I'm so upset because it was a shock. The previous days he was his usual self.

x

racinghamster
07-30-2015, 08:45 AM
It can be a shock to the system indeed and that`s why we all totally understand what your feeling right now. It does sound as though he took an acute illness and you didn`t get time to see any obvious symptoms. You gave him a fantastic life and always remember that. A hamster`s lifespan can be anywhere between 16 months to well over two years and many factors like genetics, environment, susceptibility to illness and organ failure can all play a part.

Smile now and remember the fun times. Rets in peace little man and take heart that you were there for him in death as you were in life. x

Tildauk
07-30-2015, 03:03 PM
I know exactly how you are feeling and am in exactly the same boat right now, mine was a similar age and died almost two weeks ago. I am still sad as hell (I just read the memorial poem and have tears running down my face). Its completely normal to be this upset though, it means you loved them and cared deeply for them and I bet that for that they had a much better life.

(I am also sad because I just enquired about rescuing some poor 7month ham off gumtree who was in a tiny cage with no wheel or anything and the hateful person just replied "died").

Think of all the good times and plan your next hamster is my advice, have another, love another and do it all for the love of that one.

/hugs

Thin Lizzy
07-30-2015, 07:44 PM
Mrs hamham, don't ever feel pathetic about crying over your hamsters death and I too have taken days of work when I've lost one. It's good to let it out and so glad you shared this with us. Hamsters are so special in many ways and they may not have a long life but they make such an impact on our lives. They are part of the family.
Sending you big hugs xxx
What was your ham's name?

Piebald
07-30-2015, 10:42 PM
MrsHamHam I am teary over your post and not only because of your loss but because you have given me hope for humanity today. Your sentiment is worthy of great respect. Know that and remember. xx

cypher
07-30-2015, 11:32 PM
So sorry for your loss, it must have been a terrible shock but his end was quick & painless which is always a comfort.
I'm glad you found us, I know it can be hard when people around you don't understand how special our hams are & what a strong bond we form with them.
You are most definitely not alone in grieving over the loss of a very special little friend.
Cherish the memories & take comfort in the knowledge that he has a great, happy life with you.
Play well at the bridge little Ham Ham.

ANGELBABIES
07-31-2015, 12:31 AM
I am so sorry for your loss MrsHamHam - these little fluffs are not just a part of our family, they are a part of what makes you and me. Our love for them and their love for us creates an undying bond between us. One day this very bond will make you smile when you think of his precious little face and his little ways without the raw grief that is so now. Play well at the bridge little one xx We understand your pain, and are here for you. Hugs xx

Robodwarfs18
07-31-2015, 02:09 AM
Sorry for your loss. Hope you are okay :( R.I.P Little One xx

MrsHamHam
07-31-2015, 02:40 AM
All your kind words really mean a lot to me. I'm so happy you guys understand.

He was a lovely little thing (and yes, I'll admit, my best friend) and I'll miss him so much. Their short lifespan makes it so hard when they go - just when you have truly gotten to know them it's time to say goodbye :(

I've spent the last few days feeling so guilty - could I have done something? Was he in pain? Was it something I gave him etc. etc. :confused:

But at the end of the day what's done is done and nothing will bring him back. Just trying to be positive now x

Piebald
07-31-2015, 04:50 AM
Ah no MrsHamHam, it was just his time. xx

ZippyRIP
07-31-2015, 01:55 PM
Awww bless you MrsHamHam and bless HamHam too. He's probably running about on a little cloud having fun now :-)
I know exactly how you feel as my zippy died a couple of weeks ago, and I cried all weekend too. It is such a shock.
Hope you feel better soon.
x

MrsHamHam
08-02-2015, 05:53 AM
Thank you Piebald and Zippy xx

MrsHamHam
08-30-2015, 01:47 AM
Well I didn't think I would be posting in here again so soon :(

After having our new little one for just over 3 weeks we had to take him to the emergency vets last night where he sadly died this morning. I found him lying quite unresponsive in his cage at about half 11 last night. He was dragging one of his back legs and looked very tired.

Immediately scooped him up, put him in a box and got a taxi so the vets could have a look at him but he died early this morning apparently.

Really gutted - not sure my heart can take this! He was only 3/4 months old and just starting to enjoy our company and look for my hand.

Does anyone know what it could have been? He hadn't had anything unusual to eat and seemed fine earlier in the day (bit my finger actually and drew blood because he could smell food on my hand!).

I think it might have been a stroke?

RIP Buttons :( <3

http://i.imgur.com/FPRaisTm.jpg

Bec
08-30-2015, 01:56 AM
I'm so sorry for your loss, and especially to lose one at such a young age.

Sleep well little Buttons, gone far too soon.

Hope you are okay. I know how it feels to lose a little one too soon, but take comfort that you showed him love.

cypher
08-30-2015, 02:11 AM
I'm so very sorry, this is really hard on you. I would guess that you're right thinking it was a stroke, it seems the most likely thing & there was nothing more you could have done.
You gave him the best he could have in his all too short life, I hope that gives you some little comfort at such a difficult time.
Run free & play well at the bridge little Buttons.

Pebbles82
08-30-2015, 02:27 AM
Oh no - that is terrible bad luck and I am so sorry for your loss. He is lucky he had you to care for him and take him to a vet. Where did you get him from? Some pet shop hamsters are not always bred well - it could have been some genetic problem. Poor little thing. I am thinking more of you now though. It would be lovely if you could have a happy healthy hammy again. Is there a breeder anywhere near by?

Thin Lizzy
08-30-2015, 05:25 AM
Oh no, this is terrible, so sorry for your loss.
I would get in touch with where you got him.

Piebald
08-30-2015, 08:17 AM
Oh no so sorry MrsHamHam. RIP little one :(
They are unfortunately short lived difficult to treat little creatures. I am glad you had each other for the time you did. xx

MrsHamHam
08-31-2015, 04:59 AM
Thank you for your kind words! Still sad he died so soon but really glad we took him to the vets - at least I know we did everything we could for him.

Yesterday we 'adopted' a six month old Syrian called John (couldn't stop laughing when she told me his name). Apparently the owners took him to the pet shop because they didn't want him anymore :( I couldn't believe how tiny the cage he was in was. It was genuinely the size of a big shoe box.

He had something about him - and I didn't want another baby so soon - so we brought him home after a donation to the charity.

He's quite tame but super chubby and more like the size of a guinea pig! The pic doesn't do justice of how big he really is.

He is as of now on a diet and under strict instructions to use the wheel as much as possible!

(We've renamed him Bear as he looks like a little black one :))

http://i.imgur.com/j8i8q65.jpg

Thin Lizzy
08-31-2015, 06:39 AM
Aww Congratulations on your adopted hammy Bear.
Good on you for giving this handsome boy a forever home.
There's a saying "third time lucky", after your 2 losses, you deserve happiness MrsHamHam.

cypher
08-31-2015, 06:44 AM
It's lovely that you've given Bear the home he deserves, I'm sure he's going to be a very happy ham & a comfort to you too.
It's hard to tell how chubby he is but no doubt that he's a cute & handsome little guy!

Piebald
08-31-2015, 07:06 AM
Congratulations! Bear is lovely! I can see he's a big fella because it doesn't look like he's going to fit inside that teeter-totter lol. I like to think your lost little ones are glad you've adopted a Ham-in-need. xx :)

Bec
08-31-2015, 11:42 AM
Congratulations on your new addition, and giving him his forever home with you.
He looks a good size and am sure he'll love the extra space in no time.

Welcome little Bear x

Pumpkin and Peanut
08-31-2015, 11:59 AM
Every day our babies wake up is a miracle. I am very sorry for your loss. I know one day I will be here crying because my baby passed also, even the tiniest of creatures can touch our hearts in a way we never thought possible. Remember how much you loved him and know he was loved. Take peace in is fast passing, it truly can be a blessing, as much as it is a shock for us hamster lovers when they pass so suddenly. Hopefully when you are ready you will find another hamster to fill your family. And when you do we will be here to share in that special day!

Thin Lizzy
08-31-2015, 07:44 PM
Bear's a gorgeous colour and from the pic looks a good weight.

DrKMcK
09-05-2015, 07:43 PM
Hello MrsHamHam. I've been off HC for a while and just read the whole thread. I'm pretty amazed at your willingness to take on yet a third hammy after the experiences you have had with the first 2 hams. Besides the fact that our little furries have such short lives, having young ones suddenly pass can really stress a hammy parent out. Your new little man, John-Bear :-D (Now you can say "Good-night John Bear every night to him!) (Reference to the Waltons :-D) He's just gorgeous.

MrsHamHam
09-08-2015, 01:30 AM
Thanks again everyone for being so kind.

I don't think I could be without a hamster now. I hate hate hate it when they die but it just feels wrong to be at home without a little furry. I feel like we did a nice thing by taking Bear home with us and away from that horrible, boring cage so that in itself is a big comfort to me :)

Tildauk
09-08-2015, 02:37 AM
I know what you mean, not having a hamster feels so wrong and empty to me. I am sorry you have had to deal with so much sadness recently, my heart broke for you when I saw that your new little baby had gone, at least they were loved well with you for the time they had.

Well done you for giving him a home and looking after him properly, maybe Bear should have his own page to flex his little cuteness, I am sure others would like to see updates on him and his little fuzzy bum :D

Thin Lizzy
09-08-2015, 08:38 PM
Mrs HamHam, you did a very wonderful thing adopting Bear and giving him a better home.
I agree too, that I couldn't be without a hamster either.