PDA

View Full Version : Shy hamster?

cutekitty28
03-16-2009, 07:19 AM
Hi, on Saturday morning we got a cute little Robo. Her home is a 3foot tank with lots of things for her to play with. The first day she stayed all day in her house. The next day i managed to coax her out in the evening, managed to get her out and into her pet carrier we have. She was really happy in there, digging around, going in and out her tube and let me pick her up.

When i put her back in the tank she went and sat in the corner, i put my hand in and she went into her house where she stayed. Overnight there didnt look like there had been too much acvtivity so mid morning i woke her and coaxed her out and put her back into her carrier.. Again she went in and out the sawdust, tube and let me pick her up. But when i put her back in her tank she went into a box in the corner and has been there ever since.

I spend alot of time in this room with her and she never comes out in the day...

Could the tank be too big? and shes a bit scared in there?

Ive put some paper around the bottom 1/4 of the tank so she would feel a bit more secure and put a divider in the tank to make it half the length.. have i done the right thing? not sure what to do? maybe buy a smaller cage? can anyone help...

Bunsey
03-16-2009, 10:58 AM
don't worry at all, it's perfectly normal, especially for a robo alone. I bought 2 new robos on saturdy and they are really scared, too. They run into the nest when i walk in the room. The best thing to do is just sit near the cage, acting normally and soon they'll see that you're not attacking them or anything. Give it at least 2 weeks and she should start being more confident with you.