PDA

View Full Version : cage chewing

phillyhutton
10-26-2005, 08:56 AM
why do my hamsters always seem to chew the bars of my Rotastack cage? does anyone know why?

matinee_92
10-26-2005, 02:39 PM
I think Tumble just chews the bars to get attention :roll:

Whenever I see him chewing the bars I let him run around on my lap for a bit, and if he still chews when I put him back, then I put him in his ball, which keeps him distracted for a little while...

Oh, and I also put toilet roll tubes through the bars where he chews, so he just gnaws on them instead. :D

babyboos
10-26-2005, 03:21 PM
Toilet rolls are a great idea to jam between the bars. Some hamsters just like to chew and everytime I get a hamster in for boarding in a Rotastak they seem to spend hours chewing the little bars at the top of the circular modules. One girl had hung a parrot toy between the bars and this seemed to distract Floyd quite well. She also tried my suggestion of placing a clean metal spoon through the bars, this at least provides a hamster with an even solid surface to chew on.

pophammy
10-31-2005, 11:34 AM
Ours always try to chew their bars (it doesn't always succeed and we sometimes end up with an acrobating hamster!)! I think it must be to try and get out of their cage.

matinee_92
10-31-2005, 11:53 AM
Hehe, I did give the spoon a go, but whenever Tumble tried to bite it, the spoon hit against the bars of the cage and made a clanging noise which Tumble seemed to find terrifying for some reason...

babyboos
10-31-2005, 12:01 PM
Aww wee lamb :oops: :? :wink: