PDA

View Full Version : Cage Advise for Dwarf

JenAndPikachu
05-24-2015, 06:30 AM
Hi!

I only found out recently that the cage I have for Pikachu is too small and I'm freaking out!
Its a Ferplast Mini Duna.
I've looked at about 1 million cages so far ;) And don't know what to buy!
(Well I've looked at at least 60 cages)

I'm liking the look of the Multy Duna. Very similar to his current cage and much bigger. (Was on Amazon yesterday for £35 in red, this morning has already sold out and its available in blue for £55 now! Annoying)

Still going to look into other cages, so what does bar spacing for a dwarf need to be?

And I know the minimum cage requirement for what the cage needs to be but what would like a recommended cage size be? Because 'minimum' doesn't sound like even that is the ideal size.

I don't have a huge amount of room for a massive cage but I can go much bigger than what he has.

Plus I want to spent about £30-£60, maybe a little more for the perfect cage.

Please Help!

Jen x

Coco61
05-24-2015, 06:38 AM
Have a look in marketplace. Jon17 is offering a barney cage. Excellent cage if you have room for it.

kyrilliondaemon
05-24-2015, 07:11 AM
I'd not worry. The so called "minimum" changes reguarly, in the time I've been on this forum I've seen people quoting the "minimum" as about five different things. When I joined the forum the mini duna was fine for a dwarf, now apparently its too small. At one point 80cm by 50cm was advised for a syrian hamster (but the imac fantasy was fine because of the multiple full levels), now the imac fantasy is often less well liked but a few months ago the "minimum" was only something like 60cm by 40cm.

If your hamster is happy in the mini duna I'd actually keep them in there. Not all hamsters like huge cages, everyone has their own preferences so if you've hit on something that works well for you and your ham I'd think twice before changing it. There're a few people on the forum who've seen people fussing over cage sizes, panicked because their cage is supposedly too small... Then have ended up wasting £30 or more because the hamster was unhappy in the bigger cage and had to go back to the first one.

If you do want a bigger cage then I'd stick to 1cm bar spacing, 7-8mm bar spacing if your dwarf is very young or you'd prefer to be on the careful side (we've kept roborovskis and russian hybrids with 1cm bar spacing with no problems, I also know of some who've done the same with chinese). There is no real minimum though so all you can do is find a cage you think will suit you and your hamster. Even meeting the current supposed "minimum" doesn't mean you'll be meeting it in a few months.

JenAndPikachu
05-24-2015, 07:21 AM
Hey! Thanks for the advise! Looked at the Barney Cage and it seems great. I'm just concerned about the wood because hes been hurt by wooden toys before.

And I never realized the minimum was always changing! Totally something to think about and I may keep him where he is now because he does love his cage and he has a lot of fun in it. He is also very protective of his cage, like if I move any toys when I clean it, he puts them right back where he likes them. So maybe for the best to keep him in that one.

Thank you!

kyrilliondaemon
05-24-2015, 07:28 AM
Most people don't realise the minimum is always changing, you have to spend enough time on the forum to notice it. I gave up paying attention to what people are calling the minimum a while ago and have developed my own way of deciding on caging for my pets, they start in something small (often a mini duna for dwarf hams) and just get bigger later if they seem to want it :)

I'm glad he seems to like his cage as it is :) He sounds very sweet

racinghamster
05-24-2015, 07:29 AM
Jen, kyrill makes some good points. If your dwarf hamster has always lived in a Mini Duna by Ferplast, the next step up would be the Ferplast Duna Multi. So if you did choose to upgrade, this cage would look and feel the same to your hamster as it has the clear upper lid and safe narrow barred grill. You could then place the plastic shelf from the mini Duna inside this larger cage (the slits on the shelf would slide between the two parts) and balance the other end with a bendy bridge or something else that could safely hold it up.

There is another site that sells this cage, I will post the link shortly. x

Edited to add: http://www.portonaquapet.co.uk

It`s sold on here for £33.69p

racinghamster
05-24-2015, 07:43 AM
Tried to do a screen shot but the page won`t appear....

Got the original linky to work above! Just hover over `small pets cages` and scroll down to see the Duna Multi. x

JenAndPikachu
05-24-2015, 07:54 AM
Thanks! The colour of the cage on porton is actually perfect for my bedroom which is an added bonus!

Think this would be the perfect upgrade for him :)

Coco61
05-24-2015, 07:57 AM
Jen that all sounds very sensible advice. Dusty(my daughter) re homed a robo from gumtree last month. He was about 9 months old and in a MiniDuna. She was a bit worried about the size but in the end has not moved him to anything bigger because he is so settled. She does give him out of cage time In a playpen of toys now that he is happy for her to transfer him there.

kyrilliondaemon
05-24-2015, 08:07 AM
Edited to add: Welcome to Porton Garden Aquatic & Pets - Porton Garden Aquatic & Pets (http://www.portonaquapet.co.uk)

It`s sold on here for £33.69p

Wow! I didn't expect to see the duna multy for that little anytime soon.

Jen it is worth mentioning that the site says that colour may vary. I hope if you get one it turns out to be the colour shown though :)

racinghamster
05-24-2015, 08:46 AM
I thought it worth mentioning the cage at the price. I spotted it the other day while browsing I would buy this cage today myself but I already have a second hand Gabber Rex, albeit one I had to make a framed lid for!

The Duna Multi offers a nice space without being overly huge (like it`s larger cousin the Maxi). Once accessories are added, the extra floor space doesn`t seem as big anyway I find. x

P.S. Check out that websites terms and conditions about returning any broken cages or and who pays for that. Sometimes a cage price is too good to be true due to the `hidden` terms or postage costs, so do check those. x

JenAndPikachu
05-24-2015, 11:46 AM
Really thinking I'm gonna get the Multy Duna :)

Does this have a space for a water bottle ?
Maybe a hole in the side like the Mini Duna?

FluffySiberian
05-24-2015, 11:54 AM
Just a suggestion. The ZooZone 1 (within your budget) is a pretty good sized tank for dwarf hamsters and it has a little slot on the front to attach the water bottle. The only thing though is that you would have to mesh the grill if your hamster has toys that hang from the top of his current cage or anything else that would enable him to climp/jump out.

WinnieTheHam
05-24-2015, 12:23 PM
Why not get the Barney cage from Zooplus, it's £49.90 and very big! :D You can always take the shelves out if you're concerned about the wood.

kyrilliondaemon
05-24-2015, 12:30 PM
This review thread (http://www.hamstercentral.com/community/cage-reviews/51790-ferplast-duna-multy-review.html) says that yes, theres a hole for the bottle on the duna multy :)

FluffySiberian - The duna multy and zoozone 1 are roughly the same size I think

mouseandstrawberry
05-24-2015, 12:55 PM
My advice would be to not get bars!
I've found hamsters kept in a plastic tank/cage get a barred cage and chew it all the time.

I have to agree, the recommended cages tends to change so much. Duna's were fine a few years ago and now they aren't.

The smaller Zoozones were fine for syrians and now they aren't.

IMO the duna's can be fine for some dwarfs, the more active dwarfs would benefit from more space.

I prefer the Zoozones as they can be picked up second hand pretty cheap and look very similar.

Miss kiwi
05-24-2015, 02:02 PM
I don't think this was already stated but I have 2 dwarf hamsters and they are both in 20 gallon long aquariums and they both have mesh lids. I think it is the perfect size for them, I can fit everything that is essential in plus more! They are a little on the heavier side though so if you struggle with lifting them up and down for cleaning then you need to make sure they are on a open shelf. Otherwise I absolutely love mine, spacious and they look very clean.

Stardust79
05-24-2015, 03:47 PM
Zoozone 2 is a good size cage. I currently have 3 pets at home large wired cages. They are pushing on the minimum. Although they are quite roomy. I've had a nightmare and a lot of expense with cages plus had to split 2 roborovski up. So for now mine all have around a 64 X 40 inch cage with an upper level.

racinghamster
05-25-2015, 12:37 AM
The Duna Multi is probably better than the Zoozone 1 as it doesn`t require the top grill meshing and it also has a clear Perspex top and not a pink or a blue one as the Zoozone`s have. The Zoozone 2 (the 100cm long Zoozone) I think has a clear lid? But it`s a huge cage for an older dwarf hamster, so the Multi is probably a nicer, adequate size.

I also agree with mouseandstrawberry about bar chewing. The tanks are a safer option. x

katmick
05-25-2015, 11:20 AM
Yeah I agree with RH. I think Duna Multi is better for the same reasons. It is nice to have pink or baby blue cage but to have a clear Perspex is in my opinion better as it is much nicer to see your hammie properly. + It is cheaper and less labour intensive as it doesn't require meshing.

I think Duna Multi is perfect size for a single dwarf, especially elderly one!

I have Duna Multi Maxi ( for Syrian) and it is HUGE ! I could not see an elderly dwarf ham that is bit shaky on its legs trying to go around patrolling its territory around everyday such a distance. x

Leila0420
05-25-2015, 11:38 AM
Re Racinghamster's comment: Zoozone 2's have a clear lid and a blue base. They're very very roomy with good depth for lots of substrate but I've found the hole in the side for a water bottle is far too high for a dwarf to reach easily so I have them set up on stands I made out of old pringle tubes.

racinghamster
05-26-2015, 06:14 AM
Leila, your right about the spout hole on some tanks being high up. The Zoozone 2 is an indoor guinea pigs cage though, so that`s probably why the base is so deep and the hole set higher. The Duna Multi hole shouldn`t be so troublesome and even if it still seemed a bit high, I would just place a slab of wood below the hole and cover this with shavings. It makes access easier, like another added level and the wood below can be chewed on, so it has two purposes! x

JenAndPikachu
05-27-2015, 06:28 PM
Finally decided and just ordered the Ferplast Duna Multy on amazon for £39.50 including shipping, which is much cheaper then I could find anywhere else :)
Its also on Miscota for £29.99, if anyone else is looking to get this cage, but you have to do a bank transfer and I just didn't like the idea of that.
Cannot wait for it to be delivered and see what Pikachu thinks :)

racinghamster
05-28-2015, 12:13 AM
So pleased for you Jen, it`s a good cage and it will pay for itself over the years. £40 quid isn`t a lot of money for such a good, secure habitat and Ferplast are good quality. Let us know when the cage arrives and when Pikachu moves in, just move all the old substrate, bedding and accessories into the new cage to make it feel and smell the same. Keep his sleeping box in the same corner and his wheel. All that will be different is the extra space! x

JenAndPikachu
06-06-2015, 12:01 PM
So Pikachu's new Ferplast Duna Multy came today :)

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll162/jensturdy93/Mobile%20Uploads/DSC_0268_zpsj30yp6oy.jpg

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll162/jensturdy93/Mobile%20Uploads/DSC_0269_zpsmhe1jtj9.jpg

He ran round exploring, had some water and food then went to relax behind his wheel like he always does.

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll162/jensturdy93/Mobile%20Uploads/DSC_0271_zpslkcvwq60.jpg

Really happy with the cage and would totally recommend it for dwarfs :)
Still waiting for a couple more toys and accessories to arrive so he will have lots to do :)

kyrilliondaemon
06-06-2015, 03:13 PM
That photo of him is adorable! I'm glad you both like the cage :)

Pebbles82
06-06-2015, 03:57 PM
Lovely cage! Lovely hammy!

racinghamster
06-07-2015, 01:31 AM
Really pleased your Duna Multi arrived safe and sound Jen and Pikachu looks adorable! Using an up-turned long tissue box at one end of the cage as a cosy, dark nest would make up for all those smaller bed huts you have in the cage though. Perhaps Pikachu finds them a little small to sleep in? I use a long tissue box with the floor cut out and two exit doors one at the beck, one at the front) for my Russian dwarf and he adores his roomy box!

These are good cages that are secure and pay for themselves as they are universal in use for all dwarf hamsters. x

JenAndPikachu
06-07-2015, 04:31 AM
Good idea about the tissue box, i'll look round for a box later, thanks :) I think he might actually likes just sleeping in that corner though, That's the same corner his wheel was in in his old cage and even when I moved things around he would sleep in that corner. I'll test it out with box to see what happens :)

Also!! when I was ordering the cage, I decided to buy from amazon, but before that I was on another website and went all the way to the check out with the cage ( entered my addressed ect) but at the payment stage I changed my mind and cancelled the order without putting in my bank details.
Anyway this cage was from that website, which is clearly an error on there part. So now I'm gonna have two off them!!
Bit of a blessing and a curse though because I really don't need two, and its pretty big to just store in the house until I eventually might need the other one. So hopefully I can cancel the amazon order but I'm pretty sure that's too late to cancel now. If so, the other one can go on gum tree :)

racinghamster
06-07-2015, 06:54 AM
I`m sure Amazon will allow you to cancel Jen, get onto them. You don`t want to be paying twice for a cage you don`t need!

The tissue box will give Pikachu another avenue to choose to sleep in but I get your drift about him liking his wheel corner! You may find he will go to the box as it`s nice and dark in there. Rip up some plain white toilet paper and put it under the box! It will make a nicer sleeping hut for him and they are easily replaced and he can also chew it safely. x

JenAndPikachu
06-07-2015, 07:34 AM
I just checked with Amazon before and because its already been dispatched and its sold by a third party seller I can't cancel it now. But I only paid once you see, I wasn't charged for the first one, the website doesn't even have my bank details to charge me or even try to charge me. I cancelled before the stage of entering any bank account details so all they had was my address, and I've never shopped on that site before.

I'll look for a suitable box, I don't buy that type of tissue box just the little tiny packs.
Sometimes he will move all the bedding and sleep directly on the plastic so will be interesting to see what he does in a box :) At first I thought he was too hot or something so wanted to sleep without any bedding or nesting materials but its really not hot in the room, I live in Liverpool so its not some crazy hot temperature. Its not cold here either so I'm sure why he does that

racinghamster
06-07-2015, 08:52 AM
That is strange Amazon sending you a cage and not taking payment for it? Or they took payment for one cage and dispatched the second one without realising? Check your bank statements to make sure. Would be good if you ended up with a freebie cage!!!

Shops like Poundland and Lidl sell the long tissue boxes for £1.00 and under. Chubs currently has a Tesco value tissue box! I remove the hankies and open one end of the box and cut a hole in the other end at the front and turn the box upside down so the round opening at the top becomes the bottom, although I cut more of the cardboard away to make the hole bigger. Chubs has also made another hole at the back! :mad:

He loves chewing the cardboard and he sleeps in there 99% of the time. The shavings are below so he can dig down into them. During the warmer weather, you don`t need to add too much nesting, just a small handful really. They are cosy in wintertime. :) Cheap to replace too, especially when you have a runny nose, the tissues come in handy! x

JenAndPikachu
06-07-2015, 09:04 AM
No the first cage wasn't from Amazon it was a different website that has sent me one without taking payment. I checked my online banking when it came because I was so confused that it had came from that company when I knew I hadn't paid for it. Even the invoice inside it was blank except for my address and the website name. I logged in to my account on the website to see if it said I had ordered it and I had no recent orders or anything, so really don't know how they made the error.

Great I'll deffo do that :)

racinghamster
06-07-2015, 09:45 AM
Strange though why they would send a cage without first checking they had received payment eh? I suppose you have the option with Amazon to send the cage back for a refund but wait and see if it arrives unbroken first! If it has any faults, you won`t want it anyway! x