PDA

View Full Version : The Dzungarian Hamster

SnuggleHam
03-08-2005, 06:35 AM
I brought this up on another topic in the forum. Asking about this type of hamster I never heard of. Emma has confirmed to me that this was no new special breed, its simply another name commonly used for Winter Whites and Campbell's hamsters.

I was wondering, which is it more commonly used for? Most of the time I see them called either simply dwarfs or Siberians. There is this one pet store near me that has been selling these "Dzungarian" hamsters. When I first saw it I asked if it was a Campbell’s and one of the workers there who was showing me their hams said, " No this is a Dzungarian"

Of course my response was "a what?" I never heard of that kind of hamster and after all my research I had been doing. I was certain I already had covered all the hamster species that are available on the market.

To try and prove it to me the worker went and found a hamster book, one of the same ones I had at home but thought was to child oriented and not as in depth as I had liked so I bought another book and never paid much attention to the old one. The worker flipped to a page and showed me a picture that had a caption below it saying it was a Dzungarian hamster.

I was so stupid because I was actually believing a pet store sales person, and from my experience they usually only know the minimum. So I went home looked at the very same book and flipped to the page with the different species of hamster along with picture to look up the Dzungarian again. Doing this I finally noticed that on this page the Campbell’s wasn’t listed. So I knew then that Emma was right, its just another name for the Campbell’s.

Looking at this page I also noted they didn’t have the winter white species down... confusing! I better add something about this other name to the Hamster Central Website to the Campbell’s and WW page

Emma
03-08-2005, 06:57 AM
I think Djungarian or Dzungarian is used for both Campbells and Winter Whites occasionally.

SnuggleHam
03-08-2005, 07:05 AM
*doy* :oops:

I actually already had something about the name Djungarian on the Campbells page, But I didnt on the winter whites page so I added a little note about that.

babyboos
03-10-2005, 04:51 PM
Djungarian (or Dzungarian) is most commonly used to refer to a Winter White Russian Dwarf hamster