PDA

View Full Version : Gilbert

Christiane
02-19-2009, 04:38 PM
Reading the beginning of this section, 'The rainbow bridge', made me cry again. It's 3 months now since Gilbert, my first hamster, passed away. Well he was more of a flatmate than a hamster, he was fab and so tame, he ran around without the ball and came when being called from under the shelves etc., and the vet said he was the friendliest hamster she'd ever met, she never needed to use 'the glove' with him, he just let her do anything. He was always good for a surprise and had an array of ailments from a penis infection to an eye infection to finally, a hernia. The vets thought it was a tumor and operated, to then find it was, indeed a hernia (how he ever got that, remains unknown!!!). The operation was successful and he woke up, and was, comparatively, alright, for a couple of days, then had a re check with the vet, upon which she said how good he was doing, and then he died that night... he was 2 years 9 months old. Yes, i know, old, still. I cried the whole weekend. As with all the other hamsters on this thread, he was, very special. (And from what i read i am not sure i would recommend operation again to any hamster, cause of the anaethestics, as it already has been said, it's difficult for them to get through.)

I had a lot of animals when i was growing up, upon the most treasured and close to me were a pony called Trixie and a budgie called Poco. I like the 'Rainbow bridge' idea of meeting them, all, again, sometime.

At the moment, i have a not-so-new-anymore, 3 months old hamster called Noah who demands my attention as i write, who is a very lucky boy because he just moved into 'Hamster Heaven', and who's come on very nicely and is just as friendly now as Gil was.

Not that i would ever, forget him.

Not many people understand.

I will try to attach a photo of me and Gil, and also of Noah.

[attachment=1:19fuikjq]0806015.gif[/attachment:19fuikjq]

[attachment=0:19fuikjq]0902031.gif[/attachment:19fuikjq]

souffle
02-20-2009, 04:52 AM
I am so sorry to hear of your loss. Gilbert was a very special hamster and will live on in your heart forever
XXXX

Zeppelin
02-20-2009, 05:56 AM
Gilbert does sound like an absolute legend, I'mreally sorry for you.
When I had my first job after uni I was really depressed and so got Raffa to keep me company. He was my whole world, he knew his name, was sooo friendly and he'd sleep on my belly. No hamster since has replaced him and he began my love for them.
You had a good long life with Gilbert but I understand your upset.
Noah looks adorable - I love sables and have 2, I'm sure he's a right little character!
Take care and deepest sympathies
XXX

suga
02-21-2009, 09:58 AM
sleep well :-(

happysaz133
02-22-2009, 12:13 PM
So very sorry for your loss, they were beautiful hamsters. Rest peacefully.

Christiane
02-26-2009, 02:25 PM
Thank you everyone, that is really sweet!!!

Zeppelin, i know how you feel, and, yes, sables are ace!

xxx