PDA

View Full Version : What tree branches are safe?

staceycanada
05-15-2015, 12:28 PM
I would like to make a few things for our hamster and know that pine and cedar are not safe for hamsters in bedding but which types of trees can I use the branches from?

cypher
05-16-2015, 12:01 AM
Apple & birch wood are safe, I'm sure there are others but can't remember them now!

Petaleaf
05-18-2015, 06:17 AM
Hazel, willow, birch and apple are the only safe ones I know. :D

BerryWY
06-20-2015, 06:49 PM
Most fruit woods are safe.(i.e. cherry, apple, maple, etc.) But DO NOT USE anything exotic like zebra wood (yes it's a real wood) and definitely not rose wood or cocobolo. Though these are very pretty they can be very harmful to pets.

Robodwarfs18
06-21-2015, 04:52 AM
I'm not an expert on trees unfortunately but I have seen that the YouTube channel ErinsAnimals posted a cage tour of her dwarf's detolf cage and she used driftwood. Not sure if this helps but it was just an idea :)

Pebbles82
06-22-2015, 03:04 AM
Any branches you find yourself would need to be dried out thoroughly and then either baked or frozen to make sure there is nothing living in it and no mould spores. Vine branches are popular too - they've been sandblasted but I still put mine in the freezer in a pastic bag for 48 hours before putting it in the cage, just in case! Most of them are huge but I managed to find a 30cm one - actually a bit bigger would have been ok as well. They're sold as reptile cage accessories.