PDA

View Full Version : Mending a cracked wheel

dracolikesfure
05-10-2015, 09:38 AM
So my brother dropped the silent spinner while washing it, and it cracked. It is a small split on the green half, but I was thinking of mending it with a little ducktape to the outside. My only worry would be her claws getting caught. Nothing chipped off, but I know of people whos pets claws have gotten caught, but I think the hole was bigger. I just wanted a second opinion.
Thank you, :)
Anna

cypher
05-10-2015, 11:41 PM
I wouldn't put duct tape on anything inside the cage, it would probably get chewed off & wouldn't be safe.
If it's something like a hairline crack you could try putting some safe pva glue into it but it would be best to just replace it in case the crack got worse with your hamster running it it which could end up with an injury.

Pebbles82
05-11-2015, 12:43 AM
I was thinking the same thing. Sadly it sounds like a new wheel is needed. On the other hand your old one will provide spare parts if anything goes on the new one!

racinghamster
05-11-2015, 04:10 AM
Hi Anna If it`s a thin split without being too noticeable, you could try putting superglue across the front and back of the crack, hold it tight for twenty seconds and leave it to dry overnight. Superglue is very strong, so please wear gloves as it can weld your fingers to the wheel! I use superglue between the two parts of a silent spinner before I put them to use as these parts can rattle if they are not glued together. It`s just something I always done with my silent spinners and it holds forever!

It dies very fast, but the smell will have to go before your hamster can use the wheel again. x

cypher
05-11-2015, 05:38 AM
That might well work but I'd be careful to make sure there's no excess glue that the ham could nibble on.

dracolikesfure
05-11-2015, 07:26 PM
Thanks for all the quick responses. She has two wheels, so for now it has been taken out, but I am going to try the super glue suggestion. I like this wheel better, the other one squeaks. She has never been a chewer, but I will still remove the excess just in case.

racinghamster
05-12-2015, 06:25 AM
Just to let you know, Superglue tends to dry like a powder cyber rather than a gloopy glue. When you use it, it`s almost like water as it`s quite `watery` if you know what I mean. It can leave marks on the plastic, but it won`t allow for any thickened residue. Just watch your fingers and not end up in A&E stuck to a hamster wheel!!!! :cool: x

cypher
05-12-2015, 07:25 AM
That's good to know RH! It's a long time since I used superglue, I really don't like A&E so I tend to avoid the stuff lol! I just thought I remembered it leaving a bit of a residue like other glues tend to.

racinghamster
05-12-2015, 07:39 AM
It`s amazing stuff cypher and I`ve always put some superglue between the two parts of a silent spinner (where they clip together) as the joins can rattle sometimes. Even when I kept mice I done this. Years later and after washing the wheels, the original glue is STILL keeping the plates together! So yes, it`s worth a go. It has a chemically sort of smell but once completely dry, it`s not noticeable. Wear surgical gloves when applying though as per the safety warnings I gave above. x