PDA

View Full Version : help! my dwarf hamster is rarely going out of tube

hamsterwuvs26
02-08-2009, 11:43 AM
a few weeks ago i woke up to see my hamster asleep in tube, all her bedding and food in there ): she's only a few months old too. she rarely goes out of tube now !!!
what do you think i should do? she used to be like my other hamster, asleep in the bed place, but she moved it and is dozing all night, aswell as day! i feel so sad about her too.

souffle
02-10-2009, 06:12 AM
Is she in with the other hamster now or living alone?
If she is with the other one then she is likely either being territorial over the tube or is being bullied into staying in the refuge.
Tubes are not a good place to sleep as they get all hot and damp and hamsters can get chest infections and food in there goes mouldy and horrid.
If you can, take off the tubes for now and block the ends off. Offer a bedding house and once she is established in the new bed and is nice and tame you can try the tubes back again.
Check her for any wounds or signs of illness in case she is in there feeling unwell.

hamsterwuvs26
02-10-2009, 09:35 AM
my hamster used to be with another dwarf who kept biting her. but she's been alone without patchwork for a month now...
she's very bitey two :cry:

souffle
02-10-2009, 12:59 PM
`Dwarfs are often cage territorial and need to be taken out using a ball or box or a tube. Once they are away from the cage they are usually fine. They do sometimes take longer to tame but if you are patient they will tame well.