PDA

View Full Version : Dexter Bobble...

Hambobs
03-28-2015, 02:31 PM
I never got around to introducing my rescue hybrid boy Dexter here - it's a shame his introduction is also his memorial. He was roughly 15mths old, found curled up in his nest a week ago by his carer while I was away on holiday. I wish I'd had more time with you, little guy...

When I decided at the beginning of December that I could take on another hamster, preferably a Gumtree-type rescue, I knew that I had to set myself strict criteria, or I'd end up with at least 10. The potential new arrival had to be a dwarf, and one that might have a harder time finding a home than a baby - an older hamster, or one with less desirable characteristics, like a supposed biter. I clicked on the Gumtree pet section, fully prepared to have to wait a few weeks before the right ham introduced themselves.

So of course, the first ad I saw was yours, Dexter. A one-year old red-eyed cream hybrid, housed in the smallest P@H plastic cage with only a wheel and a house for entertainment, you'd been on for about a month with little interest. I sent a message asking about you, and three days later you came home with me, to your large new Tamburino home, with lots of new things to chew and explore.

You were a odd mix of activity and laziness - I never once saw you run in your Silent Spinner (although you did enjoy paddling round in the ball at playtimes), but you built your favourite of numerous nests underneath it. You spent most of your twice-weekly play sessions scratching & grooming instead of exploring - you were the scratchiest hamster I've ever had (although that might just have been your way of letting me know the bathroom floor needed hoovering...) But as soon as I opened your cage door, you'd always poke your nose out whatever the hour, hoping for a treat.

You certainly loved your food, and I soon realised it would be the way to tame you, although in truth you didn't take much taming - after jumping away like a scalded kangaroo at first, you learned to tolerate my stroking you while you were eating, and eventually you would happily sit in my hand, scoffing away. Initially you would snatch any food as if it was going to try and escape, and bolt it down as fast as you could, but with time you learned to be gentler, which was a relief to my fingers...

As I was going on away for a week at the beginning of March, I arranged for a carer to feed you and the other hams while I was gone. I had a good long play session with you the night before I went, and I asked each of you to wait for me, because I was coming back soon. Unfortunately, you weren't able to hang on for me - you were apparently fine on the Saturday, but had gone by Sunday's feed time. I'm glad it was quick, and I hope, painless.

I'll miss you very much, from your short little legs, to your unique personal smell of slightly damp wool, and your general appearance of being a very scruffy, hairy little barrel. Sleep well, Dexter...

Piebald
03-28-2015, 02:44 PM
Hello and good-bye Dexter :(
That's a lovely tribute Hambobs I am sorry for your loss.
Play well at the bridge little Dexter. RIP xx

Thin Lizzy
03-29-2015, 12:58 AM
Aww what a brilliant tribute to a very deserving hammie called Dexter.
So sorry for your loss and sending big hugs to you xx
RIP Dexter sweet dreams xx

cypher
03-29-2015, 01:01 AM
So sorry for your loss Hambobs, a lovely tribute to your beautiful little Dexter.
Play well at the bridge little one.

racinghamster
03-29-2015, 04:19 AM
You gave him a sample of what the good life was Hambobs and I`m sure he appreciated that. Such a shame you were away when he passed, but at least he was in his own cosy home. x

BloonStuff
03-29-2015, 06:43 AM
Gosh, what a beautiful memorial. Felt quite emotional when reading it and that doesn't happen often for me. I'm sorry for your loss and I'm happy you gave him the best final months a hamster could ask for. RIP little guy.

Josie
03-30-2015, 03:48 PM
What a lovely memorial for such a special little boy, so sorry you were not with him when he made his final journey to the spirit world, play well at the bridge Dexter you left your paw print on this planet of ours, "Ride the Wind"

souffle
04-08-2015, 03:35 AM
I am so sorry for your loss. His time with you was filled with love.
Play well at the bridge Dexter x