PDA

View Full Version : New Robos - Please help

01-30-2009, 02:20 PM
Hi everyone

Myself and my boyfriend bought two new robos last week as our Russian dwarf we'd had for 18 months had died. They were caged together at the pet shop, and we were advised it was best to have a pair. They were fine to begin with, but now they have now starting scratching at each other.

The cage we have is: http://www.ardentpets.co.uk/images/uploads/0190.jpg

please let me know what you think we should do.

Thanks

souffle
01-30-2009, 03:50 PM
The cage you have is much too small for two robos and that will contribute to them fighting. If they are not fighting badly you should try and move them to a bigger cage of at least a duna or rody size minimum. The bigger the better. Even a large storage box would be good and cheap. You should have two of everything like wheels, nest boxes, toys and scatter feed them. Try and handle them together too. They will likely settle again and you should be able to keep them together unless blood is drawn. Be sure they are not a male and female as you don't want them breeding.

loyal_tree
01-30-2009, 06:27 PM
I am not familiar with the cage you linked to, but souffle has given you good advice. I'm from the US and they don't have those cages here, but it does look a bit small from the pic. They could still be stressed from the transfer from the pet shop to your home. Sometimes hamsters do what I call, "the blame game". When things aren't the way "they should be" according to them, it can cause them to squabble over everything until all is well again. I would do as souffle suggested though as it may not be helping the fighting in a small cage.

Ness
01-31-2009, 03:18 AM
Its also a good thing to note about the cage if that it has tubing, tubing as a toy is ok within a cage as it doesn't block off any areas, but your robos could be fighting over the tube as it leads from one area to the next.

Rodys you can get from P@H quite cheap and they should be happy in this, though I tend to go for bigger things. They need flat long cages with lots of area to run in, and it always helps them to have alot of shavings to dig in.

A sand bath can help as well, it'll give them another things to do, and it should keep there coat nice and clean. I've always wondered if it'll make the smell of there coat less noticable to the other robo as well.. its just a thought.

Two wheels are needed, as they will fight

I know that people sometimes use that cage as transport cage and thats it really.